ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion DeSantis’s latest appeal to MAGA tops Trump in performative cruelty

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
As president, Donald Trump separated migrant families, forced asylum seekers back into Mexico and built hundreds of miles of border barriers. The border remained chaotic and the migrants kept coming, yet MAGA ideology continues to hold that the “crisis” can be solved with just the right mix of cruel deterrence, tough enforcement and — of course — more walls.

That disconnect helps explain Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’s radical new plan to secure the border, which he rolled out Monday. The plan is meant to propel him to Trump’s right on a leading MAGA issue. But DeSantis’s blueprint contains a bunch of warmed-over ideas — mass deportations, draconian efforts to limit asylum-seeking and legal immigration, even an end to birthright citizenship — that Trump already tried to execute, yet could not.
The fundamental promise of DeSantis’s GOP presidential primary campaign is that he’d execute the MAGA agenda far more competently than Trump. But there’s a reason Trump largely failed in controlling the border, and it has little do with competence or “toughness.”

ADVERTISING

Rather, it’s that presidents lack the authority to close down legal immigration in any substantial way, and however harsh their enforcement gets, it simply doesn’t dissuade migrants from coming, including illegally, and settling here successfully.

“No excuses: Stop the invasion,” blares DeSantis’s immigration blueprint. Unveiling his plan in Texas, DeSantis accused Trump of failing to deliver, saying the unthinkable: “Obama’s first four years had more deportations than Trump’s term, which is incredible.”
Catherine Rampell | Earth to politicians: The U.S. has too few immigrants — not too many
It’s true that President Barack Obama, to his discredit, deported more migrants in his first term than Trump did. But that’s because of many underlying factors: Under Obama, arrests at the border had begun to plummet, leaving more resources for deportations from the interior. There were also far fewer sanctuary localities denying cooperation with federal law enforcement then than now.

Putting aside how wretched it is to cast mass deportations as a positive — we should legalize undocumented people, not deport them — DeSantis probably wouldn’t be able to do much better than Trump. What’s at issue is how much Congress is willing to spend on removals.
“It would require an immense escalation of resources, which the Congress has to date shown little interest in providing,” Doris Meissner, a senior fellow at the Migration Policy Institute, told me. Deportation levels have nothing to do with some mystical quality of presidential toughness.
But DeSantis’s move does constitute a genuine statement of priorities. Whereas President Biden deprioritizes the removal of undocumented immigrants who don’t pose a serious threat — which the Supreme Court upheld last week — DeSantis would deport them en masse, no matter how deeply connected they are to communities here.

DeSantis’s plan also vows to force untold numbers of asylum seekers to wait in Mexico for their hearings, just as Trump did. But Mexico flatly stated this year that it opposes restarting this policy. Would DeSantis follow Trump in threatening enormous tariffs against Mexico to force it to comply?
DeSantis also promises to disregard legal limits on how long child migrants can be held in detention to facilitate detaining migrant families longer. Guess what? Trump tried that, too, but it was struck down in court as outside presidential authority. DeSantis would apparently mandate extended detention of all migrant families awaiting legal proceedings, but this would likely require Congress to fund a large expansion of our detention machinery. Good luck with that.
Press Enter to skip to end of carousel

The DeSantis plan would also end guaranteed citizenship for anyone born on U.S. soil. Trump proposed that as well, but it’s enshrined by the 14th Amendment. DeSantis insists this reading of the Constitution is wrong; the vast consensus among legal experts says otherwise.

ADVERTISING

DeSantis also promises to end all of Biden’s parole programs, which admit at least 30,000 migrants per month who apply from abroad. That’s something DeSantis might be able to do as president, but no one should call it “securing the border.”
In fact, widening legal channels for such migration arguably disincentivizes people from trying to enter via the border and straining infrastructure there. That helps process overall migration in a more orderly way. The rub is that DeSantis doesn’t want well-managed migration. He wants far less of it.
Running the immigration system is profoundly challenging for any president regardless of his priorities. Biden has certainly struggled, and keeping arrivals at the border manageable has led to limitations on asylum-seeking that renege on our international commitments.

But Biden understands that many complex factors throughout the Americas drive migration to the United States, and he sees letting more applicants in from abroad, while making border processing more humane wherever possible, as the way to manage it as a positive good for the country.
By contrast, DeSantis would cut off those applicants entirely while rendering our immigration system more cruel, more inhumane and more destructive to our overall national interests. Even if DeSantis would struggle to implement his plan’s specifics, what’s appalling is the deliberate message it sends: He would seek to one-up Trump’s hyper-restrictionist agenda, despite all its abominations and the searing social conflict it unleashed.
In short, DeSantis views Trump’s inability to implement his horrors at full scale as lamentable — as something that should be rectified, and even outdone.

Man, they work fast! One day after the recording that makes sure Trump goes to jail, is released, the “He’s worse than Trump” campaign begins. A well oiled machine.

Reactions: hawkland14
...efforts to limit asylum-seeking and legal immigration, even an end to birthright citizenship...

I'm good with both of these.

Requests for asylum should be based on a lot more than "my country sucks, everyone's poor, and the government's corrupt!"

And because you happen to make it into the country to have your kid, shouldn't mean that they should automatically be granted citizenship.

I'm good with both of these.

Requests for asylum should be based on a lot more than "my country sucks, everyone's poor, and the government's corrupt!"

And because you happen to make it into the country to have your kid, shouldn't mean that they should automatically be granted citizenship.
We need the labor and the intellectual/innovation infusion. Keep in mind, your people most likely came from some s-hole county that sucked, was filled with poor people, and had a corrupt government. Those things still exist. Birthright citizenship is the next wedge as politicians like DeSantis try and out Trump each other. All kinds of people legitimately enjoy birthright citizenship.

We need the labor and the intellectual/innovation infusion. Keep in mind, your people most likely came from some s-hole county that sucked, was filled with poor people, and had a corrupt government. Those things still exist. Birthright citizenship is the next wedge as politicians like DeSantis try and out Trump each other. All kinds of people legitimately enjoy birthright citizenship.
But that’s not asylum. That’s a separate issue - we can and should admit more immigrants. But not under asylum claims. Russ is correct that it’s been abused and is a joke at this point.

I agree that we need the labor. There should certainly be a better, modernized, efficient, and funded visa system to get in workers who we need (and who pass a background check/qual process).

That's in no way related to asylum though. And I just don't think that a woman coming here illegally (or, undocumented, if you prefer) and having the baby here, should in any way meet a standard for citizenship.

FWIW, my people came from England before the revolutionary war; a few came from Germany I think pre-civil war. Your point remains though, that everyone's ancestry is from somewhere.

I agree that we need the labor. There should certainly be a better, modernized, efficient, and funded visa system to get in workers who we need (and who pass a background check/qual process).

That's in no way related to asylum though. And I just don't think that a woman coming here illegally (or, undocumented, if you prefer) and having the baby here, should in any way meet a standard for citizenship.

FWIW, my people came from England before the revolutionary war; a few came from Germany I think pre-civil war. Your point remains though, that everyone's ancestry is from somewhere.
I agree with no more birthright citizenship. It will be interesting if DeSantis also applies his same philosophy on immigration to Cubans.

Reactions: lucas80

What about a woman here on a student or work visa? Women waiting to be citizens can wait years for the system to work. One of my best friends married a woman from France, and they had a child in Canada. Their kid has citizenship in the US, France, and Canada. It isn’t that big of a deal. I’ve never seen data saying this is a real issue or burden.
You want to ban all the women coming in from Europe as well as the ones coming from south of the border from claiming birthright citizenship, fine. Change the Constitution.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT