ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion Netanyahu’s speech to Congress could cause long-term damage

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Last month, congressional leaders from both parties bestowed a rare honor on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu by inviting him to address a joint meeting of Congress. With that speech, now scheduled for July 24, Congress is giving Netanyahu a platform to interfere in U.S. politics, as he has done before. And as Democrats — who are now considering whether to boycott the address — clearly understand, the consequences could be significant. If Netanyahu uses his speech to undermine the Biden administration’s diplomatic efforts and attack his own Democratic critics, that could further politicize the U.S.-Israel relationship, damaging it over the long term.

On Capitol Hill, many Democrats are frustrated that Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) agreed to the proposal by House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) to honor Netanyahu with a fourth joint meeting address, surpassing Winston Churchill’s tally. After all, it was Schumer himself who gave a speech in March calling for new elections in Israel and describing Netanyahu as an “obstacle to peace.” Several Democrats told me Schumer was boxed in politically, not wanting to seem anti-Israel in an election year by refusing. In a statement, Schumer said he signed on because “America’s relationship with Israel is ironclad and transcends one person.”

Sign up for Democracy, Refreshed, a newsletter series on how to renovate the republic.

Several senior Democrats told me they haven’t decided whether they will attend because they predict Netanyahu will use the speech to attack the Biden administration and Democrats. In 2015, Netanyahu used a joint meeting address to lobby against the Iran nuclear deal, then the Obama administration’s top diplomatic initiative. Fifty-eight Democrats skipped that speech. This time, the number could be higher.

ADVERTISING

Netanyahu’s 2015 speech to Congress was a mistake for him and for Israel, Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), who is leaning toward attending, told me. Netanyahu’s mission to thwart the Iran deal failed. And the surrounding controversy deepened fissures between elements of the American political establishment and Israel for years to come.
icon-election.png

Follow Election 2024
“I would have hoped he would have learned his lesson, but I don’t think he is guided by what’s best for the U.S.-Israel relationship,” Murphy said, adding that what guides Netanyahu is staying in power. “I’m deeply worried about what he’s going to say and that it’s just going to exacerbate the problems that Israel has in the United States and around the world.”
Democrats are in a bind. If they boycott Netanyahu, they open themselves up to attacks from the right as being anti-Israel. If they attend, they face criticism from the progressive left as being a prop for an attack on their own party.

Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) told me he met with Michael Herzog, Israel’s ambassador to the United States, on Tuesday to convey his concerns about the speech. Coons said he won’t commit to attending until he is assured that Netanyahu is not planning to use it as a partisan and divisive exercise.
“If this is anything like the 2015 speech, that is unwelcome and unconstructive,” Coons said. “If it is the prime minister coming to announce a concrete plan for humanitarian relief, Palestinian self-governance or a path forward for the region, I’m interested.”
Netanyahu could choose to use the speech to thank the American people for their support, endorse the Biden administration’s approach and lay out his vision for the future of Israeli-Palestinian relations, as some Israeli commentators have suggested. But there’s no indication so far that he is prepared to do that. During Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s trip to the region this week, Netanyahu wouldn’t even confirm Blinken’s claim that Israel is on board with the cease-fire plan that President Biden publicly announced three weeks ago and that the U.N. Security Council endorsed 14-0.

Of course, Hamas hasn’t accepted the cease-fire proposal either, responding this week with requested changes. And Netanyahu’s resistance to Biden’s proposals doesn’t change the fact that Hamas bears responsibility for starting the war, kidnapping hostages and continuing to attack Israel. Everyone agrees Israel has a right to defend itself. And as a basic principle, the prime minister of Israel should be welcome to speak before Congress.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=mc_magnet-opisrael-gaza_inline_collection_19

But by inviting him at this particular moment, congressional Republicans are not only helping Netanyahu undermine the Biden administration’s diplomatic strategy but are also throwing him a political lifeline, said Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), who also has not decided whether he will attend.
“Everything points to the fact that Netanyahu is focused on his own political survival at the expense of the interests of Israel and at the expense of the U.S.-Israel relationship,” Van Hollen told me. “We shouldn’t be a part of advancing his agenda.”

Hopefully, the parties will reach a cease-fire deal before Netanyahu’s speech, which was rescheduled from June 13 because of the Jewish holiday of Shavuot. That would change the atmosphere significantly. But if the situation then is roughly the same as it is today, Republicans would be giving Netanyahu cover to resist any pressure from the Biden team. Perhaps that is their goal.
Still, lawmakers should ask themselves whether the short-term political benefit of this tactic is worth the potential long-term damage. What’s different from 2015 is that Israel’s standing among the broader American public is more in question than ever before. The objective of both parties should be to preserve bipartisan support for a strong U.S.-Israel relationship for future generations. Netanyahu’s speech could be a step backward from that goal.

Bibi has probably forgotten all about this:

In February 2015, I reported in my Washington Post column on the revelation that Obama’s 2012 national field director, Jeremy Bird, was headed to Tel Aviv to manage a grass-roots campaign to oust Prime Minsiter Netanyahu. I noted at the time that Bird would not be working to defeat Netanyahu if he thought Obama opposed it (can you imagine Karl Rove going to London while George W. Bush was in office to help conservatives oust Prime Minister Tony Blair?) and that the group behind Bird’s anti-Netanyahu effort – OneVoice – had received State Department funding and listed the State Department as a “partner” on its Web site.
Now, a new bipartisan Congressional report from Senators Rob Portman (R) and Claire McCaskill (D), Chairman and Ranking Member of the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations (PSI) examining the US State Department’s grants to OneVoice, has concluded that the group in fact used federal money to build a campaign organization later used to try and defeat Netanyahu.
It’s important to note that OneVoice’s efforts against Netanyahu’s re-election did not happen in a vacuum. They came in the context of a broader campaign of veiled threats and anonymous leaks from the Obama administration designed to hurt the Israeli prime minister’s chances at the polls. Secretary of State John F. Kerry had warned (through an anonymous aide) that Netanyahu’s decision to a joint meeting of Congress in support of new sanctions on Iran was “playing politics with that relationship could blunt [Kerry’s] enthusiasm for being Israel’s primary defender.” A senior administration official had declared ominously to Haaretz that “President Obama has a year and a half left to his presidency, and that there will be a price.” A member of “Obama’s inner circle” launched an attack against Israeli ambassador Ron Dermer in the New York Times, accusing him of having “repeatedly placed Mr. Netanyahu’s political fortunes above the relationship between Israel and the United States.” The Times noted “Such officially authorized criticisms of diplomats from major allies are unusual.”
The message to Israeli voters was unmistakable: If they re-elect Netanyahu, Israel will pay a “price.” Israeli’s rejected that message. But now we know that part of apparatus used to deliver that message was funded by the US tax payer via the US Department of State.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
And piss off AIPAC?!?

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) on Friday sent Netanyahu a formal invitation to speak during a joint meeting of Congress, and the invitation featured the signatures of all four Congressional leaders: Johnson, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.).
I get it, but I also hate it for how Bibi has chosen to involve himself in American politics..whilst hating on Biden for being critical of him

I get it, but I also hate it for how Bibi has chosen to involve himself in American politics..whilst hating on Biden for being critical of him

I think it's personal to him after the last Democratic administration's efforts to oust him.
From his perspective it's better for Israel if Biden loses, so he also sees himself working in his nation's interest.

Do mean the same way Schumer called for new elections in Israel, do mean getting involved in other countries election like that?

Bibi's public address a few days ago saying the US has not been regularly sending much needed shipments of armaments has been met with a firm denial from the Biden Administration. The only shipment paused was the 2K bomb shipment. Bibi has either received bogus info from the IDF or he is purposely sticking it to Biden. Either way, Bibi has screwed up big-time.

Bibi's public address a few days ago saying the US has not been regularly sending much needed shipments of armaments has been met with a firm denial from the Biden Administration. The only shipment paused was the 2K bomb shipment. Bibi has either received bogus info from the IDF or he is purposely sticking it to Biden. Either way, Bibi has screwed up big-time.

Let’s check the actual quote:

"It’s inconceivable that in the past few months, the administration has been withholding weapons and ammunitions to Israel. Israel, America’s closest ally, fighting for its life, fighting against Iran and our other common enemies," he had said.

Is this true?

Blinken confirms US is still pausing a shipment of heavy bombs to Israel as Netanyahu increases pressure on admin

By Jennifer Hansler, CNN
Published 2:24 PM EDT, Tue June 18, 2024

I guess this is one of those truths the White House likes to call malinformation- true, but counter to the preferred narrative, and thus undesirable.

Do mean the same way Schumer called for new elections in Israel, do mean getting involved in other countries election like that?
I didn’t love either, but at the same time, 1) Schumer isn’t a head of state, and he hasn’t been invited to speak in front of the Knesset.

I’ll note that Bibi was so bothered by that he doesn’t mind that Schumer then co-invited him to speak before congress.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT