ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Crean gets 'thumbs up' from AD

paladinhawk

HR Legend
Feb 4, 2004
Odd timing imo, I'd think he'd wait until after the Mich St. game - but anyhow the longer Crean underachieves @ IU the better...

link

Crean is 49-74 in B10 games over 7 seasons at Indiana. If TC goes undefeated next year, he would still be well below .500.

Did Barta also supported Lick in Dec of the last year before canning him in Mar with the potential exodus of Gatens and others as well? So, the AD can change his mind after IN miss the dance...

a coaches kiss of death " THE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE" from the AD.
scared0018.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Ronman:
This announcement is not going to go over well with sizable segment of Hoosier fans.
No kidding. I may have to take a stroll over to Peegs and view the carnage.

All ADs give their coach a thumbs up whether they intend to keep them or fire them. Its meaningless.

When I look at Tom Crean, I see a guy who should be selling used cars or suits ay Men's Wearhouse or imitating the Office Boss from the movie Office Space.
0310fcf4e02f5e3b08f9f4d540fe5347.jpg

This post was edited on 3/5 7:47 PM by TheHawkeyeDudeAbides

Originally posted by TheHawkeyeDudeAbides:
When I look at Tom Crean, I see a guy who should be selling used cars or suits ay Men's Wearhouse or imitating the Office Boss from the movie Office Space.
0310fcf4e02f5e3b08f9f4d540fe5347.jpg

This post was edited on 3/5 7:47 PM by TheHawkeyeDudeAbides
Except he does this with his tongue.
it__s_rude_to_poke_your_tongue_out__by_outstar1979-d5o2h81.jpg

Any idea what was up with that the other night?

Whew! Back from Peegs. I took a long, hot shower and feel a little better. Actually it's not really wild over there, more like this board was during Lick's last year. Or the way our football board the last 3 years. Mostly "who can we get to come up with the buyout?"

Turns out, Crean's buyout is $12 million until July 1 when it drops to 7.5. Crean must be using Ferentz' agent. Couple of folks at Peegs with "inside info" claim that Crean is already looking at other opportunities and will leave under his own volition after the season. We'll see.

Originally posted by Chewback:
Whew! Back from Peegs. I took a long, hot shower and feel a little better. Actually it's not really wild over there, more like this board was during Lick's last year. Or the way our football board the last 3 years. Mostly "who can we get to come up with the buyout?"

Turns out, Crean's buyout is $12 million until July 1 when it drops to 7.5. Crean must be using Ferentz' agent. Couple of folks at Peegs with "inside info" claim that Crean is already looking at other opportunities and will leave under his own volition after the season. We'll see.
Make money and work from home! Do you own a computer? Do you like games? Do you like money? Now you can stay at home, play video games, and make money......

Crean thinks to himself, "Well...why am I knocking myself out!?!? THIS is the job for me! Let's see, send $49.95 to ImA Ripoff Industries....."

I don't know if Crean is good, bad, or indifferent. I don't think much of his "creaning" philosophy, and he's creepy to watch on the sidelines, but I hope Indiana keeps him for a long, long time.

Originally posted by LaoHawk:
Did Barta also supported Lick in Dec of the last year before canning him in Mar with the potential exodus of Gatens and others as well? So, the AD can change his mind after IN miss the dance...
My god I remember Barta stating that Lick was going to get it done at Iowa.

I just laughed and wondered how far down he was going to drive the program.

Tom Crean is getting the top level talent and has had some success (his first 3 years were a struggle, BAD teams). He lived off the Oladipo and Zeller days. He will land some top talent again and be back towards the top soon.

Just some thoughts.

1) People on PEEGS are noticing fans from the rest of the conference are rooting for Crean to stay. It bugs them.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

2) I could well imagine a scenario where due to the buy out (Indiana is not a football $chool) Glass decides to give Crean one more year. If so, I think it may be a fire "two for one".

3) As I understand, $12 mil now. $7.5 mil after July 1st. All the way down to $4 mil by July of 2016. Who on earth signed that? Oh...Glass, wasn't it.

4) Interesting rumor of Crean leaving of his own volition. I'll believe it when I see it.

5) This isn't us!

Originally posted by DanL53:

Just some thoughts.

1) People on PEEGS are noticing fans from the rest of the conference are rooting for Crean to stay. It bugs them.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

2) I could well imagine a scenario where due to the buy out (Indiana is not a football $chool) Glass decides to give Crean one more year. If so, I think it may be a fire "two for one".

3) As I understand, $12 mil now. $7.5 mil after July 1st. All the way down to $4 mil by July of 2016. Who on earth signed that? Oh...Glass, wasn't it.

4) Interesting rumor of Crean leaving of his own volition. I'll believe it when I see it.

5) This isn't us!

Thank god for Fran! I hope he stays at Iowa. The guy is very well spoken and good coach. I know he comes unglued at times, but its passion coming out. He wants to win and be the best at Iowa. he won't settle for anything less.

Dont pull an Alford and leave when the going gets tough.

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:

Originally posted by DanL53:

Just some thoughts.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

5) This isn't us!

Thank god for Fran! I hope he stays at Iowa. The guy is very well spoken and good coach. I know he comes unglued at times, but its passion coming out. He wants to win and be the best at Iowa. he won't settle for anything less.

Dont pull an Alford and leave when the going gets tough.
#4 has some legs.

I live in Indy and have a buddy who's Peegs premium member. He just texted me that Clappy is leaving after the season for a new gig as he's not happy in Bloomington(wonder why?). Alabama keeps coming up from what he's reading.

Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:
Who becomes the head coach if Crean leaves? I doubt it will be Stevens.
I see a trend developing here...........

Mike Davis
Kelvin Sampson
Tom Crean
??

Zeller was a instate kid that Crean got to stay home, some of that top talent that Crean gets is instate talent. give Fran that much instate talent and he would have IA in a better position, getting Paige to play with Gesell and Woody. getting Barnes and this is a different team,

Pemsyl is a top 150 player now but it will be interesting to see where he ends up after the spring and summer camps. especially if he is a 6'9 PF vs a 6'6/7 PF, Connor in the 2017 class looks to be a top 50 player by ESPN, IA can and has produced some top talent but the problem has been keeping it home Fran I doubt will be losing that talent.

Funny how Katz uses the word "attrition" in place of Creaning
happy.r191677.gif
I don't know anything except I hope he stays. B1G is full of great coaches, and Crean is way below average in player development and bench coaching compared to that group.

I am not sure why he would leave if he can get a huge buyout and then maybe take a rest for a year or two, before his next coaching job. He still is regarded as a good coach by some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT