ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Darrell Hazell & Purdue/Illinois Job

frydaze

HR Legend
Nov 25, 2001
I was surprised to see Purdue's AD is claiming Hazell will definitely be back again next year despite major struggles in his three years at the helm there so far and the irony of losing at home to Illinois by 30 just a few days after the AD said Hazell would return next year.

How much of this has to do that there are already many really good jobs that will be open this winter and Purdue is smart enough to know their job likely would be way down the list of the good ones? Personally, I think they are just waiting for the timing to be better to dump Hazell.

As for Illinois, as I mentioned in another thread, I think they too would be better served to let Bill Cubit remain as coach at least a couple more years after this year, and let distance happen between their messed up situation currently vs. what should be a better situation a couple years from now.

Firing Thomas today as AD and bringing in a new AD is the first big step for them in cleaning things up.

Like Purdue, if the Illinois job is open in another month, and Cubit not retained, I think Illinois would really struggle finding a good head coach to take over at a time there's a mess there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News