ADVERTISEMENT

OT from Landof10: Departing Wisc players see even better team in 2018

paladinhawk

HR Legend
Feb 4, 2004
I was wondering about how many players WI return so I went to their Landof10 board. I know virtually no one would say 'next years team will suck...' but it looks like their offense should be pretty good next year:

The defense loses a ton, but also returns several major performers. First-team All-American linebacker T.J. Edwards, a Butkus Award finalist, comes back after 11 tackles for loss. Linebacker Ryan Connelly led the team in tackles with 88 and also had 11 tackles for loss. Reserve outside linebacker Andrew Van Ginkel should thrive with more playing time. Van Ginkel split snaps last year and put up 10 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 2 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles. Against Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game, Van Ginkel returned an interception for a touchdown and forced a fumble. He also had an interception and a sack against Miami in the Orange Bowl.

“There’s a lot of players on that defense who have played a bunch of football, especially at the linebacking group,” Dooley said. “It’s going to be exciting watching them next year.”

The defensive line lost two starters, but primary clogger Olive Sagapolu comes back at nose guard. Three starters left the secondary, including first-team All-Big Ten cornerback Nick Nelson, but perhaps the most important piece returns in first-team All-Big Ten safety D’Cota Dixon.

“Defense as well, they may be a little young, but that won’t take nothing away from them,” Jamerson said. “Still got D’Cota back there. D’Cota’s a general. He’s going to get those guys right regardless. I’m excited to see what they’re going to do. I know they’re going to do good things.”
https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/wisconsin-players-2018-nfl-combine

(Didn't know Dochterman wrote for the Wisc board as well...needs to pay the bills I guess)

Last edited:
Reactions: mick82
Defense will drop some but offense will be better. Guess their OL almost all return and have read where 3 will most likely be drafted in 19' draft. Expect them to be top 10 again next year. Hoping we get a late Sept night game vs them.

Defense will drop some but offense will be better. Guess their OL almost all return and have read where 3 will most likely be drafted in 19' draft. Expect them to be top 10 again next year. Hoping we get a late Sept night game vs them.
The Wisconsin O should be a ton better in '18 ... their WRs are young but very talented. The OL will be a year better ... and we already saw how well their RB could run (as just a TR FR)! On top of that, Hornibrook is a returning 2-year starter ... a kid who demonstrated the ability to make plays during crunch-time.

Unfortunately for the Hawks, any drop in the quality of the Wisconsin D will be compensated for by gains made by the O.

All the same - I think that our Hawks have the chance to field a great team too. The outcome of the Wisconsin game will be far from predetermined. Wisconsin should be favored ... but it should also be a winnable game for our Hawks too.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
FWIW "our" (read articles about Iowa) on land of10 F*ing blow. Every other team has done position break downs and players to watch and bring in New subject matter. Our article for today.... Iowa basket ball missed having a back up point guard this year.......Gee Einstien good thing it took a masters degree to figure that one out and hasn't already been discussed 40000 times. Maybe we could have gotten the 29th article on the three seniors that are leaving, "new" article why location was important for rwcruitting Fenske, next article "why location was important for recruitting Jwieskamp.... hint they are both from Iowa...... The articles for the other schools are insightful, ours, not so much.

FWIW "our" (read articles about Iowa) on land of10 F*ing blow. Every other team has done position break downs and players to watch and bring in New subject matter. Our article for today.... Iowa basket ball missed having a back up point guard this year.......Gee Einstien good thing it took a masters degree to figure that one out and hasn't already been discussed 40000 times. Maybe we could have gotten the 29th article on the three seniors that are leaving, "new" article why location was important for rwcruitting Fenske, next article "why location was important for recruitting Jwieskamp.... hint they are both from Iowa...... The articles for the other schools are insightful, ours, not so much.
Guys like Dochterman and Harty covered Iowa athletics for a long time - neither were terribly good. Marc Morehouse is one of the very few who is worth a darn ... and, not surprisingly, he's one of the few who still has a job covering the Hawks. The "old" Black Heart Gold Pants used to reflect comic gold ... and it often had content worth tracking. Otherwise, yeah, it's hard to find insightful content on the Hawks these days.

it is good the game is at Kinnick , I also like the fact its early in the conference slate , maybe get them before the defense comes together , Same could be said about Iowa's defense. If Iowa can limit the run Iowa can win , let the Badgers have balance and Iowa is toast.

Reactions: badger-007
it is good the game is at Kinnick , I also like the fact its early in the conference slate , maybe get them before the defense comes together , Same could be said about Iowa's defense. If Iowa can limit the run Iowa can win , let the Badgers have balance and Iowa is toast.
Idk, we seem to beat them in Madison a lot more than we do in Kinnick.

Biggest mistake Hayden Fry ever made: Hiring a cornhusker (Barry Alvarez) as his LB coach, teaching him how to coach, and letting him run off to Madison with all that inside info! At least Bill Snyder, and Bob/Mike Stoops took it to the Big 12

Reactions: Norm26
The "old" Black Heart Gold Pants used to reflect comic gold ... and it often had content worth tracking. Otherwise, yeah, it's hard to find insightful content on the Hawks these days.
There was a guy who did a really great stats breakdown for the Hawkeye basketball team. I don't think he posts on their new site - maybe real life was staring taking up too much time.

I would keep in mind about Wisconsin several things:

1. Circumstances played into Wisconsin's hands in our game. They had literally weeks to prepare for us - in the month preceding our game they played Maryland, Illinois, and Indiana, none of which made a bowl game. We faced Ohio State the week before their game, plus Northwestern and Minnesota in our 3 game stretch, in addition the game was in Madison last year as well.

This year we face them in Kinnick, they come off of a game with BYU, we come off of a game vs UNI. Playing field level.

2. Iowa will be better prepared this year to face that defense. Step 1 - I believe we will be able to run the ball better against them with the experience our now sophomore tackles will have and better blocking by Soph/Jr TE's. Step 2 - Wisconsin likes to send pressure from all over the field, you counter that with formation. Multiple running backs TE's? (Brian/New England) in the backfield. 3 tight end sets. Quick passing. Iowa was woefully unprepared last year - this staff will make some big adjustments, trust me. Step 3 - WR - We will have much improvement in that dept.

3. Our defense did absolutely fine against that offense. We lose some big pieces, Jewell and Jackson. But I think we have nothing to fear unless the offense doesn't do its job. In passing situations that team is atrocious - they can't pass block very well, their QB is a turnover machine, and their WRs struggle to get open. Get them trailing early in our ballgame and they could implode.

if frosty really is a miracle worker, our last black friday game vs braska could be to decide who wins the west.
personally I think we'll be really good in 19(if no one leaves early)
this year should be pretty good though

There wont be any miracles in 2018 from Nebraska but hopefully it’s a game.

Wisky is becoming a complete powerhouse before our eyes. they aren't there yet but if they get over the hump of the big ten championship and win a natty, continuing to put up 11-13+ win seasons they will claim a spot as a new "blue blood". Think about last season with a questionably inconsistent qb and true freshman running back going 13-1 and one win from the Football Playoff. They are one of those teams that just reloads every year.

Reactions: badger-007
Wisky is becoming a complete powerhouse before our eyes. they aren't there yet but if they get over the hump of the big ten championship and win a natty, continuing to put up 11-13+ win seasons they will claim a spot as a new "blue blood". Think about last season with a questionably inconsistent qb and true freshman running back going 13-1 and one win from the Football Playoff. They are one of those teams that just reloads every year.

If their steak of finding NFL RBs would ever burst they might step back into reality for a bit. They've been damn good on D/OL, but it also takes luck on recruiting. John Clay, James White, Melvin Gordon, and Corey Clement from 2009-2016. All in the NFL.

Now Jonathon Taylor will extend that streak until 2019. It's insane. I don't think PJ Hill ever saw the field in NFL, but if he did the streak would go back further to Calhoun.

Please, Wisconsin in the same sentence of blue bloods? Wisconsin recruits like Iowa and molds their players .. until WISCONSIN starts landing 4 and 5 star ⭐️ players every year for the next 5 years or so they will definitely be brought back to earth sooner or later .. and like our 2015 squad and going into the 2016 season we lost a few really good players and it killed us.. Wisconsin and Blueberries or blue bloods will never mix together .. not in my lifetime that is

QUOTE="Harbinger273, post: 5225874, member: 64235"]Wisky is becoming a complete powerhouse before our eyes. they aren't there yet but if they get over the hump of the big ten championship and win a natty, continuing to put up 11-13+ win seasons they will claim a spot as a new "blue blood". Think about last season with a questionably inconsistent qb and true freshman running back going 13-1 and one win from the Football Playoff. They are one of those teams that just reloads every year.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
LOL...hold the phone, let's not crown them yet.

By definition "Blue Blood" is old money. The blue bloods were cemented in the 70's. Other teams might make a splash or even hand arounds awhile, but the blue bloods that are propped up by the media through their off years are set. Look at Oregon, for example. All that money, looked like they were going to be the crown jewel...but nobody talks about them now when their down. Contrast that with Michigan...sucked for quite a few years and yet every season the media was frothing at the mouth at the opportunity to declare them "back". That....is a blue blood.

By definition "Blue Blood" is old money. The blue bloods were cemented in the 70's. Other teams might make a splash or even hand arounds awhile, but the blue bloods that are propped up by the media through their off years are set. Look at Oregon, for example. All that money, looked like they were going to be the crown jewel...but nobody talks about them now when their down. Contrast that with Michigan...sucked for quite a few years and yet every season the media was frothing at the mouth at the opportunity to declare them "back". That....is a blue blood.
Thanks bud. notice words like if and new blue blood in my post. Also getting over the hump. 7 of the last 9 years they have won at least 10 games. Its remarkable and if it bumps up another notch with that kind of consistency they will be in a different tier. Giving credit where its due and using it as a measuring stick for the Hawks.

I went back to look at the numbers because the all time is always so close. Wiscy has beat us 4 of the last 5 and didn't play us in 2012 (4-8) I would say we are in need of stepping up or being left too fight for 2nd in the west.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Thanks for the link. For IA Daniels is listed in green font ( high draft round I think) and Jackson is purple-ish font (1st round).

The 5th column are last year's seniors, and NFL draft declared eligible I'm assuming?

I went through Northern Illinois as I've heard they might be the MAC's best team, as well as Iowa State. Iowa State has lost a lot of players and playing time.

Michigan State, Wiscy, Penn State are really young. Michigan State and Wiscy do not appear to have lost a lot of experienced players.

I expect Michigan State to have a phenomenal year either this season or next. And Wiscy proably one out of the next three seasons based on this.

Have to stop their run. Don't believe Hornibrook beats us with just his arm. Lost that freakin' tall TE they had Fug... something. Stanley is a better QB than Hornibrook. Every guy returns on their O line, so Eppy and crew this is your challenge. Disrupt. They are fat guys and hopefully you boys got the moves and the speed.

Have to stop their run. Don't believe Hornibrook beats us with just his arm. Lost that freakin' tall TE they had Fug... something. Stanley is a better QB than Hornibrook. Every guy returns on their O line, so Eppy and crew this is your challenge. Disrupt. They are fat guys and hopefully you boys got the moves and the speed.
Yes, Fum is gone but the receiving corps the next two years will improve Horni’s game.

Got it, you don’t subscribe to logic and reality.
If any Iowa D is built to stop Wisconsin's running game ... I'm willing to bet that the '18 incarnation could be it. The problem is that while the young LBs are coming downhill to fill against the run ... they'll get burned badly by TEs and the like against the pass. Here's to hoping that Wisconsin has a drop in TE production now that Fumagalli has graduated.

If any Iowa D is built to stop Wisconsin's running game ... I'm willing to bet that the '18 incarnation could be it. The problem is that while the young LBs are coming downhill to fill against the run ... they'll get burned badly by TEs and the like against the pass. Here's to hoping that Wisconsin has a drop in TE production now that Fumagalli has graduated.
I hope I am wrong, but would concede that Fum's replacement, junior Kyle Penniston, will not end the season with his predecessor's number's {although I recall he played well in Kinnick in the 2016 season} but I am confident other pass catchers will make up the difference.
Glad the game comes early in the season this year as the Hawks historically improve markedly as the conference schedule progresses. Should be a great match-up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT