OT: Joe Toussaint at Texas Tech

ObeseMuffins

HB MVP
Jan 7, 2007
15.0 ppg
2.4 rpg
4.3 apg
FG%: 47.9

Most of all, missing his toughness and on-ball defense. Just had a flashback of him stripping Edey in the Big 10 championship game and then getting benched.

Man, I feel like Joe has been playing for a while now.
never forget baseball GIF

15.0 ppg
2.4 rpg
4.3 apg

Most of all, missing his toughness and on-ball defense. Just had a flashback of him stripping Edey in the Big 10 championship game and then getting benched.

He was one tough dude for sure, but under 48% shooting for what a 6th year senior. thats not really a big deal. 4 assists /game is decent, but against how many turnovers? That was always his big downfall....

He was one tough dude for sure, but under 48% shooting for what a 6th year senior. thats not really a big deal. 4 assists /game is decent, but against how many turnovers? That was always his big downfall....

Connor McCaffery 6th year FG%:38% and career average 35%.

48% FG for a guard is actually really good.

Good for Joe...Best of luck to him. Great competitor and better than some of the players at Iowa that played ahead of him if you count defense.

Connor McCaffery 6th year FG%:38% and career average 35%.

48% FG for a guard is actually really good.

Good for Joe...Best of luck to him. Great competitor and better than some of the players at Iowa that played ahead of him if you count defense.
True, but Cmac also led the nation for most of two years with an over 4 to 1 assist/to margin which is fantastic. Joe as a point guard was probably closer to 1 or 2 to 1. Not really good for a facillitator of ones offense, and why he often got the quick hook....

lol. i love people that thing shooting percentage is the measure of a basketball player. The posters comment about going out after the strip of edey is case in point. Defense has 0 value on frans decision making.
Someone that shoots 48% and is a dog on defense is far more valuable that someone shooting 60% and playing pmac defense.
Joe is well above a 2:1 turnover ratio. Iowa fans get mislead into thinking that stat means more than it does for a pg. I'm pretty sure bowen is one of the tops in the country and no one would consider him a pure top flight pg. CMAc was always there too but still not a pg that makes the other players better. Not a guy that breaks a defense down and creates for other players.
Show me a pg that doesn't have a turnover or two a game and is a creator of shots and offense for their team.
Joe was a symptom of Frans failures as a coach. The willingness to bench effort/hustle/occasional mistake for playing a low risk/no defense/low effort player. In Frans world a guy with 2 turnovers and 4 steals and great defense with 6 points has not value compared to a guy with 0 turnovers, low rebounds, poor defense, and can't stay in front of a guy and 12 points.

True, but Cmac also led the nation for most of two years with an over 4 to 1 assist/to margin which is fantastic. Joe as a point guard was probably closer to 1 or 2 to 1. Not really good for a facillitator of ones offense, and why he often got the quick hook....
That stat has nowhere near the value you think it does. Especially for a guy no one had to pressure because he couldn't shoot. He had an easy time passing.

harding is currently 2.9-1 and fran and many here think that he's just a turnover machine. When in fact, I think he's the first real pg fran has had besides maybe Joe. You are bound to get a to or 2 when you play on the edge. When you create for your teammates and take a calculated risk or two. The vision and passing ability of Brock is already high level, we just don't have jess settles telling everyone how he is elite. Fran should hand him the keys right now and live with a few more mistakes for the much higher upside.

15.0 ppg
2.4 rpg
4.3 apg

Wait, he plays for Texas Tech now?

lol. i love people that thing shooting percentage is the measure of a basketball player. The posters comment about going out after the strip of edey is case in point. Defense has 0 value on frans decision making.
Someone that shoots 48% and is a dog on defense is far more valuable that someone shooting 60% and playing pmac defense.
Joe is well above a 2:1 turnover ratio. Iowa fans get mislead into thinking that stat means more than it does for a pg. I'm pretty sure bowen is one of the tops in the country and no one would consider him a pure top flight pg. CMAc was always there too but still not a pg that makes the other players better. Not a guy that breaks a defense down and creates for other players.
Show me a pg that doesn't have a turnover or two a game and is a creator of shots and offense for their team.
Joe was a symptom of Frans failures as a coach. The willingness to bench effort/hustle/occasional mistake for playing a low risk/no defense/low effort player. In Frans world a guy with 2 turnovers and 4 steals and great defense with 6 points has not value compared to a guy with 0 turnovers, low rebounds, poor defense, and can't stay in front of a guy and 12 points.
Great points, BUT he also all to frequently ran at a pace totally out of control, and many of his turnovers were unforced errors. Loved his effort on both ends of the court, but he was often out of control when he wore the black and gold.

Joe was a really good player for the Hawks and he's getting better - good for him!

I may be the only one that thinks this, but I don't think Joe's time was limited just because he made turnovers, although sometimes he made a bunch.

I think he wasn't very good at running the team. The Hawks had Keegan on that team when he was a soph, and Garza when he was a freshman. Running the offense and getting the ball to those guys was job 1 for a PG in those seasons.

But, that's just me .....

The offense especially the half court did stall when he was in. I remember when jbo took over the starter role his last year we ended up playing a lot better. Saying that, I wish Joe was still on our team. He's got that dog in him. Wish it had rubbed off on pmac

harding is currently 2.9-1 and fran and many here think that he's just a turnover machine. When in fact, I think he's the first real pg fran has had besides maybe Joe. You are bound to get a to or 2 when you play on the edge. When you create for your teammates and take a calculated risk or two. The vision and passing ability of Brock is already high level, we just don't have jess settles telling everyone how he is elite. Fran should hand him the keys right now and live with a few more mistakes for the much higher upside.
Agreed. Same applies for bowen though. I think he has far more game than he’s allowed to showcase because the pg in frans system is pretty much there to get the ball up the floor without turning it over. His offense is geared towards 6’7 wings that can shoot, or supposedly able to shoot. Ill take a playmaking pg that turns the ball over 3 or 4 times a game but creates a lot of opportunities for himself and his teammates over the version of pg we’re accustomed to under francis!

Joe's current effective field goal ptg of .549 is 16th in the Big 12. Not bad at all, and pretty dang good for a point guard. Sandfort's eFG is .536.

Reactions: longliveCS40
15.0 ppg
2.4 rpg
4.3 apg

Couldn’t agree more.

Loved the intensity he brought. Some say he was out of control but my take he was trying to hard to make things happen. And it cost “him” PT when others were standing around getting burned on D while their minutes grew. D was his specialty and once in a while it actually rubbed off on the others, and noticeably annoyed the shit out of the player he was hounding.

Good to see he’s getting some PT and flourishing on the court because of it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
That stat has nowhere near the value you think it does. Especially for a guy no one had to pressure because he couldn't shoot. He had an easy time passing.
Kind of like number one son the first 3 years before he actually made a few his last year. Amazing when you have zero worries about being yanked after tossing up brick after brick how your game can free up and play loose.

More to the point is that whenever he did shoot, and he made some, he was resting as soon as Fran could get him off the court. Kind a hard to get any rhythm when your on-court time max is about 2 or 3 minutes long.

Last edited:
15.0 ppg
2.4 rpg
4.3 apg

He's been killing it since leaving Iowa City where JBo was spraying WD40 on the bottoms of his sneakers all the time.

JoeT big forte was defense....hard to make a big difference as an on-ball defender when your coach is playing a lot of zone to hide the other guys weakness on defense.

Sounds like great season for JoeT, he's better off in a system that values defense and quickness and hard play.

If I recall fran was a pg, white Jesus. I think he picks guards based on the way he played. That’s just my guess.
But Fran wasnt much of a shooter from what I understand and outside shooting seems to be one of his main criteria along with no turnovers.

It's almost like he doesn't want guys who attack the basket because that can lead to turnovers.

I haven’t had the opportunity to see Tech play this year. Good on you, Joe. He probably needs to tell his teammate Issacs to stop shooting so much. Woof.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT