ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Joe Toussaint at Texas Tech

But Fran wasnt much of a shooter from what I understand and outside shooting seems to be one of his main criteria along with no turnovers.

It's almost like he doesn't want guys who attack the basket because that can lead to turnovers.
100%. I think he looks at every turnover as a missed shot opportunity and that offends him.
What’s odd is I don’t think he sees the blow by or poor rotation or offensive rebound given up with anywhere near the same level of disdain. That’s a problem.

Reactions: RocknRollface
100%. I think he looks at every turnover as a missed shot opportunity and that offends him.
What’s odd is I don’t think he sees the blow by or poor rotation or offensive rebound given up with anywhere near the same level of disdain. That’s a problem.
Agree and that's what's so weird about it because the huge majority of basketball coaches look at it the opposite way.

Nobody likes turnovers but defense effects a much larger percentage of the game.

The evidence doesn't support the way Fran thinks.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Agreed. Same applies for bowen though. I think he has far more game than he’s allowed to showcase because the pg in frans system is pretty much there to get the ball up the floor without turning it over. His offense is geared towards 6’7 wings that can shoot, or supposedly able to shoot. Ill take a playmaking pg that turns the ball over 3 or 4 times a game but creates a lot of opportunities for himself and his teammates over the version of pg we’re accustomed to under francis!

Get started then 🤷‍♂️ incidentally give me an example of “that” PG that you want. If it’s Joe, how many NCs has he lead his teams too? Conference championships?

Who you got ?

Reactions: doughuddl2
Kind of amazing what he is capable of when allowed to find a rhythm on the court and not worry about being yanked the second he made a mistake.
3 teams later ?? And what has he won ? Just curious, must have had a hell of a career based on what some if you are saying?

Agree and that's what's so weird about it because the huge majority of basketball coaches look at it the opposite way.

Nobody likes turnovers but defense effects a much larger percentage of the game.

are those aforementioned coaches winning more than Fran with their systems? Wouldn’t that be the key?

3 teams later ?? And what has he won ? Just curious, must have had a hell of a career based on what some if you are saying?

More games than Iowa this year. Does that work?

Did you want something more specific? Because its an extremely vague question.

Toussaint would have obviously made Iowa a better team the last two years. Only a fool would argue otherwise.

are those aforementioned coaches winning more than Fran with their systems? Wouldn’t that be the key?
Are you asking if there are coaches that focus on defense that have won more games than Fran?

What are you even talking about? Of course there are.

There's almost no examples of a team advancing to the final 4 with defenses that are as statistically poor as Iowas. Miami last year may be the only one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slim45
More games than Iowa this year. Does that work?

Did you want something more specific? Because its an extremely vague question.

Toussaint would have obviously made Iowa a better team the last two years. Only a fool would argue otherwise.

Yes he has done wonders for West Va and now TT again, his 3rd school in 5 years…he’s 23….WTH?

And I’d guess he’d make several hundred teams better. Does not mean we’d win more or anymore meaningful games….right?$

And only a fool would argue that indeed.

Are you asking if there are coaches that focus on defense that have won more games than Fran?

What are you even talking about? Of course there are.

There's almost no examples of a team advancing to the final 4 with defenses that are as statistically poor as Iowas. Miami last year may be the only one.

Every buddy gets dumb when they start feeling uncertain where things are headed…

Give me 5 coaches, we’d have a reasonable shot to hire? We’ll compare….

Yes he has done wonders for West Va and now TT again, his 3rd school in 5 years…he’s 23….WTH?

And I’d guess he’d make several hundred teams better. Does not mean we’d win more or anymore meaningful games….right?$

And only a fool would argue that indeed.
Are you joking?

Iowa would almost certainly have won more games this year with Toussaint as the starting pg.

Iowa has lost 3 close games this year to bad teams because they couldn't stop them from scoring at the end of games.

Iowa is probably a bubble team with JT.

3rd school in 5 years means nothing. He left WVU because the coach that brought him there was fired.

pick your
Are you joking?

Iowa would almost certainly have won more games this year with Toussaint as the starting pg.

Iowa has lost 3 close games this year to bad teams because they couldn't stop them from scoring at the end of games.

3rd school in 5 years means nothing. He left WVU because the coach that brought him there was fired.
Pick your 5 coaches friend….Joe’s busy leading TT to a 4-5 record over the last 9 games of “close losses” …

So he’s busy….I want to look at how your 5 better coaches have been in their careers?

Get started then 🤷‍♂️ incidentally give me an example of “that” PG that you want. If it’s Joe, how many NCs has he lead his teams too? Conference championships?

Who you got ?
Idk why i even respond to someone as mental as you. Everything is totally fine with the Iowa program. All the players are great and Fran is doing a fantastic job. Good on you for believing that, Mr. #1 fan!
The rest of us will live in reality

Are you joking?

almost certainly 😆 🤣 😂 😹

pick your

Pick your 5 coaches friend….Joe’s busy leading TT to a 4-5 record over the last 9 games of “close losses” …

So he’s busy….I want to look at how your 5 better coaches have been in their careers?
Busy going to the ncaa tournament.

Now...what the fvck are you asking me?

You want me to just name 5 coaches that are better than Fran?

Is this a serious question?

Like ever? Or just this year? Or just in the big ten?

Have you watched much college basketball before? You seem like you're completely unfamiliar with the subject.

Have you watched much college basketball before? You seem like you're completely unfamiliar with the subject.
You have a hard time with reading compression.

"Give me 5 coaches, we’d have a reasonable shot to hire?"

• Haha
sounds like you're describing Fran's 28 year coaching career.

snl_spittake.gif

Interestingly, Perk yanked early in Wisconsin game for lack of effort on D.

You have a hard time with reading compression.

"Give me 5 coaches, we’d have a reasonable shot to hire?"
That's not what reading comprehension is you moron.

I didn't see that earlier post he made and when he re stated the question, (the post I responded too) he did not use the same language.

And it should have been pretty obvious to any one reading my response that I didn't see it.

Reading comprehension.

• Haha
Reactions: cmhawks99
Every buddy gets dumb when they start feeling uncertain where things are headed…

Give me 5 coaches, we’d have a reasonable shot to hire? We’ll compare….
The reason people are uncertain with you is that you often don't communicate clearly because you're to worried about trying to be clever.

In this case I just didn't see this post.

You responded to a post that was comparing Fran to his peers and the differences in how they prioritize defense vs offense.

You wanted to change the subject to something completely different, that being potential replacement candidates.

That's a topic I don't care about because there's no way I would have any idea who Iowa is capable of hiring. I doubt anyone really knows unless they go ask the people in question.

You don’t need 5. You only hire one.
Fran should be let go because when he reached his ceiling he thought: let’s just keep things the same. Awful defense coupled with playing favorites with pt have knee capped this team for years. Fran needs to move on or Beth needs to have him remove coaches and hire someone that can help.
Fran is not in the same zip code as Kirk in regards to the amount of role he should be given and even there changes had to be made.

Yep, unprepared, pick 5 coaches Iowa has a reasonable chance of offering and getting, that’s it…

Shouldn’t that be easy for a smart guy like you….5 coaches you want besides Fran that we could realistically get….simple shit

You can get about anyone with the right money. You keep asking for 5 guys like it’s some sort of gotcha question, it’s not. We don’t know the budget.
Also. One one name is really necessary. Devries.

Reactions: shudaddy and Slim45
Idk why i even respond to someone as mental as you. Everything is totally fine with the Iowa program. All the players are great and Fran is doing a fantastic job. Good on you for believing that, Mr. #1 fan!
The rest of us will live in reality

And I don’t know why I respond to someone as incapable of making a lucid point….

Your response is similar to the old….”yep you’re always right” it’s lazy and meaningless. It says, “I honestly don’t have anything witty to say in, so this is all I got!

All I did was ask you to give me an example of some good PGs

True, but Cmac also led the nation for most of two years with an over 4 to 1 assist/to margin which is fantastic. Joe as a point guard was probably closer to 1 or 2 to 1. Not really good for a facillitator of ones offense, and why he often got the quick hook....
If you were passing to Garza and the Murray twins for your 6 years, your assists were pretty easy. He was good at feeding the posts, which was good, but nothing exceptional. His girlfriend is a much better passer! ;)
Season 7 Nbc GIF by One Chicago

If you were passing to Garza and the Murray twins for your 6 years, your assists were pretty easy. He was good at feeding the posts, which was good, but nothing exceptional. His girlfriend is a much better passer! ;)
Also assist to turnover is a terrible metric. It just shows risk aversion. Meaning you will get your ass handed to you by teams with real guards that defend. No one would trade cmac for any number of 20-30 real point guards that year.

The reason people are uncertain with you is that you often don't communicate clearly because you're to worried about trying to be clever.

In this case I just didn't see this post.

You responded to a post that was comparing Fran to his peers and the differences in how they prioritize defense vs offense.

You wanted to change the subject to something completely different, that being potential replacement candidates.

That's a topic I don't care about because there's no way I would have any idea who Iowa is capable of hiring. I doubt anyone really knows unless they go ask the people in question.

I can….but I can also question you relentlessly about any coach you pick and his mind boggling losses…

There was no subject change…

Fran sucks it’s not even implied at this point in time. Everybody knows it, we also know there are a shit ton of coaches out there way better, and I wanted you just to give me five…, simple shit dude.

It is of course, possible you’re smart enough to know where this is heading but nothing you said so far has led me to believe that…doh!

• Haha
You can get about anyone with the right money. You keep asking for 5 guys like it’s some sort of gotcha question, it’s not. We don’t know the budget.
Also. One one name is really necessary. Devries.

Hmmmm…..I’d say that’s mixed. And he lost to Indiana St, that soured some folks. And 3 other teams. We cant afford to hire coaches who lose to other teams….

We need a coach who wins ALL his games like all the other great coaches out there….😳

And I don’t know why I respond to someone as incapable of making a lucid point….

Your response is similar to the old….”yep you’re always right” it’s lazy and meaningless. It says, “I honestly don’t have anything witty to say in, so this is all I got!

All I did was ask you to give me an example of some good PGs
Hot Shots Idiot GIF

• Haha
Reactions: hawkirugged17
Yep, unprepared, pick 5 coaches Iowa has a reasonable chance of offering and getting, that’s it…

Shouldn’t that be easy for a smart guy like you….5 coaches you want besides Fran that we could realistically get….simple shit
I have no reason to be prepared for it.

It's not a topic I'm interested in. It's your topic.

I never claimed to know who Iowa has a shot at hiring. I have no way of obtaining the information.

Stating the obvious that Frans approach is outside the norm and that it's nearly impossible to advance in the ncaa tournament that way doesn't require me to have a list of replacements.

Last edited:
I can….but I can also question you relentlessly about any coach you pick and his mind boggling losses…

There was no subject change…

Fran sucks it’s not even implied at this point in time. Everybody knows it, we also know there are a shit ton of coaches out there way better, and I wanted you just to give me five…, simple shit dude.

It is of course, possible you’re smart enough to know where this is heading but nothing you said so far has led me to believe that…doh!
I know exactly what you wanted to do.

Get me to name people then come up with your reasons why they aren't an improvement. That would be very easy to do.

Again, It's not a topic I care about.

And the reality is to hit a home run you have to take chances on guys who aren't proven commodities. Because if they were proven commodities they wouldn't come to Iowa.

And you won't find a post by me anywhere on the internet saying Fran should be fired, because I know that's not happening.

Another reason I have no interest in the topic.

I know it's the year of CC, but in reality, she's not a better passer. She's a very good ball handler in the women's game, but a high-level high school boys point guard is probably a better, more creative passer.

I know it's the year of CC, but in reality, she's not a better passer. She's a very good ball handler in the women's game, but a high-level high school boys point guard is probably a better, more creative passer.
And you’d be very wrong. Physically a college girl would struggle against any 4a Iowa high school team and Iowa would lose to most.
However
Two things Caitlyn does light years better than any high school boy is passing and shooting. Her vision is hard to beat ever in the college game. I would say college men struggle to shoot as far and on the move as well as she does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT