ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Josh Jackson 6'8" SF

DanL53

HB Legend
Sep 12, 2013
While we sit and wait and wonder about Charlie Moore, just thought I'd bring up an example that might put things in perspective.

We Hawkeye fans all want things to go right, every time. Sure, maybe we get in heated discussions now and then and all that. But imagine this scenario:

Michigan State. They of the Mighty Izzo. And sitting in their backyard, Detroit, Michigan, is 2016 small forward Josh Jackson currently ranked #1 by Rivals. Played last year and will play his senior year at Prolific Prep Academy in California.

Shoe company of choice? Under Armor. That get's important in a minute. Here's a short read:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1792492

So Josh Jackson, Rival's #1 ranked player in the country. A kid from Detroit. Ends up playing two years at a basketball academy in California and being affiliated with Under Armor and why is that important?

Jackson plans on visiting Maryland. Maryland isn't just an Under Armor school. Their founder is an alumni. Meanwhile Michigan State is a Nike school.

Just imagine. Old days, a kid from Detroit and Michigan State comes calling. There has to be an edge, right? Not anymore, the guys been playing in California for two years! And, Michigan State doesn't even wear the right shoes!

Now, I don't feel sorry for Izzo. And he might still land Jackson. Or he might see him at Maryland for a year. The point I'm making is these days recruiting is weird. There are forces involved between handlers, prep schools, shoe companies and in some cases nationally known figures like World Wide Wes. (Look him up)

It's tough all over. Just ask Izzo, but heck, he's pulled in some pretty good players himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News