ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Meanwhile in Cedar Falls.....

Feb 25, 2008
UNI has blown a 2-game lead in the MVC with road losses to Loyola and middling Indiana State.

They are now tied at 11-4 (22-5) with Loyola, and any slim chance of getting an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament has evaporated.

They now finish the season with home games against Southern Illinois (lost the first meeting), Evansville, and at Drake.

Loyola, meanwhile, finishes at Missouri State, vs Drake, at Bradley.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Agree. Makes me so mad when kids from Iowa that I watch play in HS, stay at Iowa colleges, at a non-rival college and play well. So relieved they are getting what they deserve. :mad:

Whatever makes the Hawkeye season better for people I guess.

I only care about the kids who go to Iowa, regardless of where they came from. Additionally, UNI fans are worse than ISU fans.

UNI absolutely deserves to be a tournament team.

Any team is going to have off nights and/or catch teams that have good nights. When that happens in the Big 10, it means Iowa has the 'luxury' of losing by 40 to Purdue, or a half dozen to Nebraska, where as UNI loses to an Indiana State by a bucket or to Loyola in OT.

If you put UNI in the big ten, sure - they likely slot into 12th place.. maybe 10th. But i'd much rather see them get a chance than Purdue. With the selection committee weighting the early season as much as the late season now, UNI still has a chance I think (too bad they couldn't hold on against WV).

Hopefully they win the Valley tourney and don't leave their destiny in someone else's hands

UNI absolutely deserves to be a tournament team.

Any team is going to have off nights and/or catch teams that have good nights. When that happens in the Big 10, it means Iowa has the 'luxury' of losing by 40 to Purdue, or a half dozen to Nebraska, where as UNI loses to an Indiana State by a bucket or to Loyola in OT.

If you put UNI in the big ten, sure - they likely slot into 12th place.. maybe 10th. But i'd much rather see them get a chance than Purdue. With the selection committee weighting the early season as much as the late season now, UNI still has a chance I think (too bad they couldn't hold on against WV).

Hopefully they win the Valley tourney and don't leave their destiny in someone else's hands

I completely agree. UNI is much more deserving of a bid at this point than many of the last bids from any of the P5 conferences IMO.

And there was a day when Drake, Bradley, and Cincy were among the best in the nation, but you’ve got to be old to remember this.
I really felt like had the 2008 Drake team got past Western Kentucky and got the nerves of playing in the tournament out of the way, they could've done some damage.

They would've played San Diego, who WKU ended up beating to reach the Sweet 16, where they lost by 10 to UCLA.

I completely agree. UNI is much more deserving of a bid at this point than many of the last bids from any of the P5 conferences IMO.
By the eye test, they absolutely deserve it. But unfortunately, the selection committee can make up reasons to talk themselves out of picking a mid-major for an at-large spot.

I'm not at all confident in UNI's chances of winning the Valley Tournament.

Panthers turned it on in the 2nd half, and have pulled away from SIU.

Leading 63-49 with over a minute to go. That'll move them to 23-5 (12-4).

Also, didn't realize this but Loyola lost to Missouri State last night, so UNI is back in sole possession of 1st place in the MVC.

I guess some people have short term memory loss. Loyola was in the Final Four in 2018. I would not want to be matched up with UNI on a neutral court in March.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I guess some people have short term memory loss. Loyola was in the Final Four in 2018. I would not want to be matched up with UNI on a neutral court in March.

Capitalized on massive upsets in that bracket. Ran into Michigan from the B1G and got blown off the court.

With UNI's shooting (Halderman & Berhow, in addition to Green), if they get hot they can make noise. If shots aren't falling, you could have a stretch like they did today when they went from up a dozen to down 10... and teams in the tourney might not give you 20 straight after that like So. Ill did today

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT