ADVERTISEMENT

OT?: Northwestern should push to play their home games at their opponents stadiums; think about it

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
It appears below that 5 of NW's first 7 games are at home. Why doesnt NW just play some of those games at Miami of OH (not that far of a drive for NW fans), Eastern Ill , Indiana and Wisconsin at those opponent's stadiums. Those four statdiums will be empty anyway, more NW fans can get in rather than at their puny practice field, the NW opponent's fans will show up to increase ticket sales, NW can do a 50-50 cut with their opponent on tickets and parking.

I know NW doesnt have a big fanbase at their home games but maybe 10,000 will travel otherwise they wont see many games in person. I bet their opponents' fans would love to watch the game at their own stadium.

Would this work?

2024 Northwestern Football Schedule​

Saturday
Aug. 31
Miami (Ohio) RedHawks Football ScheduleMiami (Ohio) RedHawksSite, City TBDTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 7
Duke Blue Devils Football ScheduleDuke Blue DevilsSite, City TBDTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 14
Eastern Illinois Panthers Football ScheduleEastern Illinois PanthersSite, City TBDTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 21
Washington Football Scheduleat Washington HuskiesHusky Stadium, Seattle, WATime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 28
OFF
Saturday
Oct. 5
Indiana Hoosiers Football ScheduleIndiana HoosiersSite, City TBDTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 12
Maryland Terrapins Football Scheduleat Maryland TerrapinsSECU Stadium, College Park, MDTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 19
Wisconsin Badgers Football ScheduleWisconsin BadgersSite, City TBDTime TBA ETTV TBA

That practice field just looks sad.

What about a B1G neutral site?

During any given week, there's secretary several Big Ten teams on the road. I think, between Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois, each school could alternate weeks hosting a home game on behalf of Northwestern. All of those schools are within driving distance for Northwestern fans (the few that exist).

Last edited:
Reactions: 9and4
That practice field just looks sad.

What about a B1G neutral site?

During any given week, there's secretary Big Ten teams on the road. I think, between Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois, each school could alternate weeks hosting a home game on behalf of Northwestern. All of those schools are within driving distance for Northwestern fans (the few that exist).
A neutral site is a good idea but I am not sure there would be as many tickets sold to the real visiting teams fans. For instance, if the Oct 19 game against Wisc was held at Purdue, which might have an away game, then maybe a lot fewer Wisky fans would drive to Purdue. But if that NW home game was actuallt held at Wisky, and we know the Camp Randall would almost certainly be available, then a ton of Wisky fans would attend as well as a bunch of NW fans because that is a short drive for them.

That would make more money for NW and Wisky

This is a bad look for the conference. Imagine any SEC team, even Vanderbilt, doing this. There are plenty of stadium options in the greater Chicagoland area (though maybe it's betting late to book any of them). At what point does the commissioner need to step in?

Reactions: hawkdave007
Of course not.
Dont play at a neutral site. I am saying the day NW should be hosting Wisconsin play at the Wisky field Camp Randall and split the money. NW fans get first dibs on tickets for a certain time window and then the Wisky fans will love to have another game there and they will fill it up.

Effing no brainer for these people

Reactions: GHawk
Dont play at a neutral site. I am saying the day NW should be hosting Wisconsin play at the Wisky field Camp Randall and split the money. NW fans get first dibs on tickets for a certain time window and then the Wisky fans will love to have another game there and they will fill it up.

Effing no brainer for these people
They're apparently playing Wisconsin at Lambeau.

Reactions: hawkdave007
I cannot wrap my head around playing games on that rinky dink practice field when there are so many better options out there. Wtf Northwestern??
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't they initially think they would be done before next season? and then someone apparently put two and two together.

Seems surprising they couldn't figure something with some of the FCS schools in illinois as well.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't they initially think they would be done before next season? and then someone apparently put two and two together.

Seems surprising they couldn't figure something with some of the FCS schools in illinois as well.
Yes, N ILL is one of the closest of those schools and I think is actually FBS so if N ILL has an away game just pay N ILL to use their stadium out of much more ticket sales.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Yes, N ILL is one of the closest of those schools and I think is actually FBS so if N ILL has an away game just pay N ILL to use their stadium out of much more ticket sales.
NIU is just short of 24K. They probably could put temporary seating in one end zone and work around scoreboard on ther endzone to possibly push to 28-30K.

FCS schools should be a non starter as I heard temporary seating going to be 15K at the practice field.

NIU is just short of 24K. They probably could put temporary seating in one end zone and work around scoreboard on ther endzone to possibly push to 28-30K.

FCS schools should be a non starter as I heard temporary seating going to be 15K at the practice field.
No idea what capacity is at say Eastern or Western Illinois, but if they can put up temp stands at the practice field I can't imagine that's an insurmountable obstacle.

Or heck, share Soldier Field with the Bears.

The whole thing just smacks of poor planning by NW.

No idea what capacity is at say Eastern or Western Illinois, but if they can put up temp stands at the practice field I can't imagine that's an insurmountable obstacle.

City of Chicago runs Soldier Field and it’s probably a union contract nightmare to hold other events outside of high school football.

No kidding. It's almost like the NW AD woke up last week an thought "Oh, sh*t! Where are we going to play our football games this fall!?" Not having a home stadium to play your football games is something you know 2-3 years in advance, at least. A B1G school located in one of the largest metro areas in the country should not be having this problem. This is like a junior high kid writing a paper he's known about for months at 11 PM on the night before it is due.

Of the 3 FCS schools Western Illinois has the largest capacity at 16,300. But has little room for temp stands. Illinois state is at 13,000 same issue with temp stands. Eastern Illinois is at 10K has some more room but has a track around it. Not sure if they would like temp stand on their track.

I've heard the City of Chicago isn't willing to help with Soldier Field. Don't know why but I found it odd they played at Illinois instead of Northwestern in 2002. Granted there was 13K more seats at Illinois. Possibly some bad blood.

Without a doubt some seriously poor planning. You don't start to build until you figure out where you're going to play. That's just basic.

Really is an embarrassing look for them and the conference to a small degree. Not to mention they are going to a 35K stadium. Yes CFB attendance is down but to go to that level is Group of 5 level. To think 50K at Minnesota used to be laughed at.

I've heard the City of Chicago isn't willing to help with Soldier Field. Don't know why but I found it odd they played at Illinois instead of Northwestern in 2002. Granted there was 13K more seats at Illinois. Possibly some bad blood.
I'm sure capacity was a major issue when the Bears were looking for temporary lodging. Bears were and mostly are still a very good draw - pretty sure they sold out every game at Champaign that year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT