ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Uncle John Smith

Mendoza77

HR MVP
Jan 31, 2015
This is an almost trivial story, and has nothing to do with Iowa wrestling, but I found it interesting. This afternoon I was listening to the radio broadcast of the Colorado Rockies - they're in Miami playing the Marlins. The Marlins player at the plate was someone named J.T. Realmuto. The Rockies announcer said something that definitely caught my attention. (paraphrase...) "For those of you who follow college wrestling, you'll probably recognize the name John Smith, who won two Olympic gold medals and is the head wrestling coach at Oklahoma State University. Well, he's Realmuto's uncle."

I found a good article about his athletic prowess (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ns-jt-realmuto-first-base-20170322-story.html) - he was a very impressive teenage athlete. Near the end of the article it talks about him wrestling against cousins (including Mark and Chris Perry) at family get-togethers. Even though he never wrestled in high school, I like J.T.'s quote in the article: "Wrestling is one of the best sports you can do as a kid. Balance, strength, athleticism. I still believe to this day that wrestling is a huge part of me being athletic."

This is an almost trivial story, and has nothing to do with Iowa wrestling, but I found it interesting. This afternoon I was listening to the radio broadcast of the Colorado Rockies - they're in Miami playing the Marlins. The Marlins player at the plate was someone named J.T. Realmuto. The Rockies announcer said something that definitely caught my attention. (paraphrase...) "For those of you who follow college wrestling, you'll probably recognize the name John Smith, who won two Olympic gold medals and is the head wrestling coach at Oklahoma State University. Well, he's Realmuto's uncle."

I found a good article about his athletic prowess (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ns-jt-realmuto-first-base-20170322-story.html) - he was a very impressive teenage athlete. Near the end of the article it talks about him wrestling against cousins (including Mark and Chris Perry) at family get-togethers. Even though he never wrestled in high school, I like J.T.'s quote in the article: "Wrestling is one of the best sports you can do as a kid. Balance, strength, athleticism. I still believe to this day that wrestling is a huge part of me being athletic."

And this is why I visit this cesspool.

Looked him up. Realmuto's been a .300 hitter the past two seasons playing everyday. Looks like the real deal.

Reactions: Mendoza77
26 years old from Del City, Ok. Played basketball in high school and his father was a college baseball player per Wikipedia. Maybe his mother was a Smith?

Cesspool? We did not invite you to visit. It would be better if you stayed on your own site.

200w.gif

Cesspool? We did not invite you to visit. It would be better if you stayed on your own site.

Somebody from ISU called HR a Cesspool awhile back. Because of our can-do attitude, we ran with it.

Also, "fun" is a curse word on here...now f**.

I miss anything?

Should be a swear jar...whoever spells out the F word has to donate $25.

Somebody from ISU called HR a Cesspool awhile back. Because of our can-do attitude, we ran with it.

I miss anything?

Should be a swear jar...whoever spells out the F word has to donate $25.
You forgot bridge references, Stiebler, rants about losing likes.

Reactions: IAChief32

I miss anything?

Perhaps that "douche" has been replaced by "twat-waffle" as the go-to insult?

Reactions: IAChief32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT