ADVERTISEMENT

Outdoor Water Faucets and Freezing Temperatures

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
What do you do to protect yours from freezing? We have 3 and only one can be turned off from inside and drained. The other 2 are on their own. This is the second time I know of they have frozen. First time they didn't break but were just frozen. Jury is out on this one as we're still below freezing. Only the nozzle pokes out and our exterior walls are brick. I saw a video where someone wrapped theirs in a town and put a cover over it. Would that help?

What do you do to protect yours from freezing? We have 3 and only one can be turned off from inside and drained. The other 2 are on their own. This is the second time I know of they have frozen. First time they didn't break but were just frozen. Jury is out on this one as we're still below freezing. Only the nozzle pokes out and our exterior walls are brick. I saw a video where someone wrapped theirs in a town and put a cover over it. Would that help?

Yes, but soak the towel in hot water first.

You can get covers to put over the outdoor faucets. Order from Lowe’s and or HD.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
Take the hose off and put one of these on. $3.50 at HD

pipe-insulation-1980-64_600.jpg

There must be a shut off valve somewhere for those other two.
Builder sucked and missed them. No where to be found. It's a townhouse and the front faucet at ground level has a turnoff in the top level bathroom vanity which is also in the front.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
This seals well enough? With the brick grout lines maybe I'd need to do a better seal?
Not sure, but our brick retains heat and probably that little insulation is sufficient. Especially in Atlanta where extreme cold is pretty rare. Maybe check with a plumber to be sure.

I’ve only had one broken hose pipe in years in Colorado and that’s because I was watering the lawn mid-winter and accidentally left the hose attached for the next deep freeze.

A better solution is not live somewhere that you have to worry about damn pipes freezing

00471534.jpg

Reactions: lucas80
We would have frost free water bibs here. The stopper that shuts off the water is on the inside of the wall, so the water won't freeze and break the pipes.

615b1Jbag7L._AC_SY355_.jpg

There will also be a huge rush on wash machine hoses after this week, Seems all of our Southern friends have their washing machines on their porch instead of protected inside the house. The hoses freeze and break when the thaw out. It happens every time there is a big freeze.

We would have frost free water bibs here. The stopper that shuts off the water is on the inside of the wall, so the water won't freeze and break the pipes.

615b1Jbag7L._AC_SY355_.jpg

There will also be a huge rush on wash machine hoses after this week, Seems all of our Southern friends have their washing machines on their porch instead of protected inside the house. The hoses freeze and break when the thaw out. It happens every time there is a big freeze.

This is the answer. I assumed every house had them. Maybe older ones don't.

You can get covers to put over the outdoor faucets. Order from Lowe’s and or HD.
I just put, tape a plastic butter container over the faucet, problem solved. The inside is protected with a heat bulb, and a frost king thermostat that starts working at 30 degrees and shuts off above freezing.

Last edited:
LoL, agree whole heartedly. Lived in the south for over 10 years, great people but not the smartest tools in the shed. Been in Iowa about the same and I can honestly say, a lot of dumbasses in this state are saying hold my beer to the brethren down south.

As the old saying goes, the further south you drive from the Mason Dixon line, so do the IQ’s.

Reactions: franklinman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT