ADVERTISEMENT

Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs

Over the years when I see guys going on the highway in colors I'll always try to check out what they are. Usually it's like "Brothers in Christ" or some shit LOL. But once or twice I've seen 1% clubs riding. I can't remember which one, I think it was the Mongols, but it wouldn't have been in the West, so it seems unlikely.

Growing up in Western NY the powerful outlaw club was The Kingsmen. We used to go by their club house all the time and see them hanging outside, as it was on the same street as all the bars. It was the sort of thing where everyone knew someone who's uncle was in The Kingsmen or something, but I never knew one.

They were not national, but had chapters in PA and FL, and they weren't to be messed with. They maintained they weren't a 1% club until the 2000s when a national president tried to take them in that direction more overtly, but back in the 1980s everyone knew they were outlaw. It caused kind of inter-club war between the members that wanted to remain under the radar and claim that they were legit, and the new president who wanted them to be a "known" 1% club. In 2014 two of them were shot dead outside the clubhouse we used to walk by.

Also, in the 1990s, the national Hell's Angels-Outlaws fued had a flare up at a race track in a Buffalo suburb in a massive shootout that left one of each dead. Both groups have a small presence in the area, but members traveled in for the confrontation.

Reactions: Chuck C
What is in formation mean? Is that like the flying V?

Staggered in a single lane

bikers-riding-vintage-scooters-lambretta-picture-id1216424826

Reactions: beanerhawk
In high school I worked at a small town gas station outside of Cedar Rapids. One morning about 6:30 or so in the summer a guy pulls up with some old chopper, no idea what kind of bike it was. He strolled in with his vest on and grabbed a 4 pack of whine coolers, came up and asked if could buy them this early. I said sure because I was a little intimidated. He paid me the $3.50 or what ever it was and started pounding them down one after another (like it was his breakfast) telling me how he was traveling across country to a bike rally and he was with the chosen few. Went on to talk about how they take care of their own and all that good stuff. Turned out to be a nice enough guy to a 15 year old kid. Always wondered what happened to that cat. csb

We'd see them in areas around Army posts quite a bit. I saw Mongols out around Ft Irwin/Barstow quite a bit, never had an issue.

I think it was the El Festeros that had a bar on the corner of 2nd and Hull in Des Moines. Not sure if the building is still there, haven't been in that area in 25 years or so.

the former president of the Mongels ( Hells Angel's rival) has been in the news lately. His name is David Santillan. He was kicked out after being accused of working with federal government. This came out in a trial were the fed courts ruled the gang a criminal organization.

anyway he is doing TV and podcast interviews pretty much living a normal life. He hasn't even been assaulted.

In high school I worked at a small town gas station outside of Cedar Rapids. One morning about 6:30 or so in the summer a guy pulls up with some old chopper, no idea what kind of bike it was. He strolled in with his vest on and grabbed a 4 pack of whine coolers, came up and asked if could buy them this early. I said sure because I was a little intimidated. He paid me the $3.50 or what ever it was and started pounding them down one after another (like it was his breakfast) telling me how he was traveling across country to a bike rally and he was with the chosen few. Went on to talk about how they take care of their own and all that good stuff. Turned out to be a nice enough guy to a 15 year old kid. Always wondered what happened to that cat. csb
4 of the guys in the Chosen Few were friends of mine when they started the club. Started out just to ride with friends. As the group grew things turned bad and they were ending up fighting people challenging them.
Lost track of them a long time ago. 1 might have quit the group and found Jesus I believe.

Once, after picking up a friend at the airport in Omaha, we stopped to get a 6-pack at some dive bar. Had I approached from the other direction, I would have noticed all the bikes parked on the side of the bar. I was still oblivious to the customer base when I asked for a 6-pack of PBR at the bar, and I heard several chants of, "check his ID". I was 18 or 19 and had a fake ID. Anyway, I just smiled, didn't wait for my change from my 2 one dolllar bills, and got the hell out of there. Needless to say, I had to change my crusties when I got back to my dorm room in Blair.

Anybody know someone or have dealings with someone in a biker gang? Driving through Ohio on my way back from Boston a few weeks ago, we were passed on the interstate by 12 Hell’s Angels riding in formation. I haven’t seen a Hell’s Angel out and about before. ‘The Chosen Few’ and ‘The Sons of Silence’ are the only ones I see sporadically in the Cedar Rapids area.
SAMCRO has made it very clear it's a motorcycle club, not gang. Geesh.

giphy.gif

Back when I was a teen, at my parents' cabin - the campground nearby was once owned by a couple that hung out with an outfit called The Chosen Few. Once a year, the midwest chapter of said club would camp out for the weekend where our cabin was located.

Actually was one of the best weekends of every summer. And hell yeah, they loved to party. First time I ever saw someone snort coke, first time I ever rode on and drove a Harley (I was roughly 14), saw the largest (garbage) bag of reefer I've ever seen, and I remember the aftermath seeing more empty liquor bottles in one spot that wasn't a bar than any other place in my lifetime.

But the highlight was one year, they hooked up with the construction crew of the company working on the total rebuild of US 52 through the Clayton County area. Somewhere around 1976ish. They all camped out on a sandbar across from the campground. We kids ran a shuttle service for them all, $5 a trip - using us kids' flatbottom boat. My brother, sister and I made hundreds of $ that weekend.

For entertainment, the demolition crew brought some blasting dynamite with them. They'd bury sticks in the sand, and set them off. Sand would go flying as high as the river bluff...a good 400 to 500 feet.

The concussion would shake loose rocks from the bluff behind our cabin - one boulder came down, it was the size of a couple Volkswagons. I remember us sitting in our yard watching the show, then the crash of the boulder ping-ponging down the bluff. We watched it coming down and I remember my mom yelling "IT'S GOING TO TAKE OUT THE CABIN!" Amazingly enough, it came down right between our place and the neighbor's place. There was maybe tops 10 feet of space, it split the goalposts perfect with inches to spare.

The rock didn't get moved until 20 years later - heavy duty excavation equipment had to haul it out. Yet today when there's no leaves on trees, you can make out the boulder's path from the river - it took out every tree in its way.

It was probably about a year ago, but there were a couple of Hell’s Angels in front of the Casey’s by the Coralville mall. Probably had just stopped off the interstate.

I used to go to the Hog Wild Rodeo which was a big biker party. People came in from across the Midwest. The Circle of Pride MC ran it pretty peacefully for a number of years. But, the Sons of Silence moved in on it. They started serving as ‘security’ and it began to get more violent and crazy.
Eventually, things were getting out of control and the plug got pulled on it. Not exactly sure by who. They started another event on the same weekend, and had to explicitly state ‘no motorcycles, no colors’. It has largely fizzled out I believe. I saw some crazy things there.
I’ve been to Conesville several times over the years and have seen many things there as well. Last time I was in the crowd watching and listening to my buddy’s band when this guy zipped by me and KTFO the two local bubbas standing in front of me. Two punches and two bubbas down and out. The guy whisked past me to the back of the room and I turned and saw him now standing with about 8 or so SOS members. No idea what caused that outburst, maybe something went down prior between the parties involved. Bubbas went home after they came back into consciousness.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I’ve been to Conesville several times over the years and have seen many things there as well. Last time I was in the crowd watching and listening to my buddy’s band when this guy zipped by me and KTFO the two local bubbas standing in front of me. Two punches and two bubbas down and out. The guy whisked past me to the back of the room and I turned and saw him now standing with about 8 or so SOS members. No idea what caused that outburst, maybe something went down prior between the parties involved. Bubbas went home after they came back into consciousness.

Yep, that started to become more common. I remember seeing people point out ‘offenders’ and the SoS would rough them up. Saw a guy get hit between the eyes with a full length MagLite.
I had time to think, ‘hmmm…I’m surprised he’s not bleeding’…before the blood started running out of his forehead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT