ADVERTISEMENT

Overall 2023-2024 NCAA basketball discussion ...

hawkirugged17

HB Heisman
Sep 8, 2023
This was fun from last night ... Tony Bennett gets upset because ESPN announcer Cory Alexander (who went to Virginia) helps the ref with a review that is not helpful for Virginia. The Cavs still won. :)

Reactions: uh_yes
If good guard play is the key to NCAA tourney success, then houston has an inside track to the final four. Watching them in the Charleston tourney. They are loaded at guard and their play on the perimeter has been outstanding on both ends.

Louisville b-ball has fallen off a cliff in the last few years. I remember well when they were a powerhouse in the 80s and 90s. Yes, old man pitino is crooked as the day is long and there was a lot of crap going on during his tenure. Still, they have fallen to the bottom of the ACC and look to be pretty terrible again this season. Struggling at home with nm state today and looking at a loss making them 2-4 on the season.

Reactions: Bishop-71
Louisville b-ball has fallen off a cliff in the last few years. I remember well when they were a powerhouse in the 80s and 90s. Yes, old man pitino is crooked as the day is long and there was a lot of crap going on during his tenure. Still, they have fallen to the bottom of the ACC and look to be pretty terrible again this season. Struggling at home with nm state today and looking at a loss making them 2-4 on the season.
Denny Crum seemed very crooked to me

Unrelated, but Omaha Billew is not seeing a lot of time for ISU. At least he didn't today, can't say I watch a lot of their games . They got beat today by a pretty good A&M team

Unrelated, but Omaha Billew is not seeing a lot of time for ISU. At least he didn't today, can't say I watch a lot of their games . They got beat today by a pretty good A&M team
Texas A&M was without 2 starters and ISU blew a 21 point first half lead. I can't figure out whether or not ISU is good or not, they had a huge second half run to come back against VCU which is their best win. VCU was up 9 at half and then a back and forth 2nd half to eventually squeak that win out. Then the next day VA Tech pretty much controlled it the entire game--ISU went on a mini run in the 2nd half but VT answered immediately. Then tonight's 2nd half debacle.
In their non-con they have the CyHawk game left and then a bunch of sub-200 KenPom teams to play (which yes this includes @ Depaul which may be the worst P6 team in the country this year). So Iowa State likely won't know whether they are actually decent or not until January at this point.

Also probably needing at least 9-9 in conference to get a bid with how bad their non-con schedule has gone, even if they do beat Iowa at home. I don't think 7 Big 12 wins gets them in like it did in '22. Especially if there are a couple B12 teams outside of the top-75 in the NET this year which will reduce the amount of Q1&2 opportunities by a lot.

Reactions: icwesthawk
70's also. I hated them when we played in our final four run

It's nice to see that a team that's caught cheating actually pays the price for their deeds. I consider it a real shame, and a predictable failure on the NCAA's part, that Kansas and Arizona didn't miss a step. Now with NIL money, it's just the wild west out there.

Reactions: kceasthawk
So Iowa State likely won't know whether they are actually decent or not until January at this point.

Also probably needing at least 9-9 in conference to get a bid with how bad their non-con schedule has gone, even if they do beat Iowa at home. I don't think 7 Big 12 wins gets them in like it did in '22. Especially if there are a couple B12 teams outside of the top-75 in the NET this year which will reduce the amount of Q1&2 opportunities by a lot.
Not quite sure yet if beating Iowa on their home court is worthy of a gold star. The question of just how good the Hawks are is yet to be answered.

Not quite sure yet if beating Iowa on their home court is worthy of a gold star. The question of just how good the Hawks are is yet to be answered.
Right, but it would be a Q2 win at minimum most likely and likely would be their best non-con win. NCAA tournament births are all about the Q1&2 wins. Just eyeballing it (and yes it's still early and there's bound to be some movement), if they win out through the end of December their non-con resume would look like:
0-1 v Q1: nTexas A&M
2-1 v Q2: nVCU, nVT, Iowa
1-0 v Q3: @Depaul
8-0 v Q4

It's always a sliding target with these things, but if they were to lose the CyHawk game they would be in serious need to pull off some upsets in conference play for an NCAA tournament birth--especially if West Virginia and OK State home games keep sliding to Q3 territory. That's why I said 9-9 is probably needed, even with the win against Iowa.

I cannot remember a 5 star ever going someplace and not starting. Things can change, but I doubt he sticks around after riding the bench a year. Seems like we dodged another bullet that ISU took for us?

Excellent big east game between providence and butler. providence wins it in OT. 2 teams looking good on both ends of the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT