ADVERTISEMENT

Overused or poorly used phrases

Unprecedented times....that are completely precedented.

Grace. As in, we all need to show each other grace in these unprecedented times. That is unless it's something people disagree with. Then "grace" is out the window.

I see people use things like “unbelievable” when things really aren’t unbelievable.

What phrases/words are used poorly or overused?

These phrases are not applied literally. Hell, you probably use innocuous words and phrases and aren't aware of it. There are all sorts of nitpicky things rubbing some the wrong way while being perfectly fine with others.

We all find irritations with other's speak. It's a grin and bear it and ignore as much as possible.

Last edited:
I don't know why everyone is saying "No worries" all the time now.

I get it sort of if you're apologizing for something, but people use it as like, "OK" or "No problem".

"Can I get two fives in change instead of a ten?"

"No worries"

It drive me crazy. I'm not worried, not worried at all.

"OOOOH look at me, so worried whether the register jockey will manage to pull me two fives...I was up all night biting my fingernails and sweating....I've soiled my pants just waiting to see if my precious Abe Lincolns arrive..."

Just say sure, or OK. Don't imply I'm a nervous wreck over it.

So much this!! No worries absolutely drives me crazy. I have actually responded with "Well, that's good because I wasn't worried about it."

Reactions: Nole Lou
Another word for me is "special." Hate it. Luka GArza isn't special, he is a freaking beast.

I used to work with a guy that would say 'and stuff like that' after every sentence. Drove me nuts.
I knew a woman that would trail off the end of every sentence with "and stuff and things...". Anyone that spent any time around her knew it... and stuff and things...

Reactions: hawkeye54545
Hate when a basketball player is being subbed out and the announcers say hes "getting a blow"

Also the phase "thrown under the bus" drives me nuts too

“Having said that...”
“Irregardless...”
“I could care less...”
“Orwellian...”

I have a friend who more often than not will finish a comment or observation “I don’t know. You know what I mean?”
No, Brett, if you don’t know what you’re talking about, how would I know?
You are a better man than I. I would eventually say, "well Brett it doesn't sound like you know much of anything"

Reactions: mstp1992
One thing that annoyed me when i was on social media influencers (specifically instagram) is when they would start off with “many people ask me.....” before going into their speil about whatever it is they are trying to sell

I think Brett did a “little too much LDS” back in his college days ;)
I'm not sure what "brett's" education is in but it is amazing how many people did drugs while studying the brain, and I'm not just talking about all the Business majors who smoked themselves out and ended with a BS in Psychology.

I'm not sure what "brett's" education is in but it is amazing how many people did drugs while studying the brain, and I'm not just talking about all the Business majors who smoked themselves out and ended with a BS in Psychology.
He has a masters degree, but never really amounted to much beyond research assistant 1. Seemed content without having responsibility beyond what he was told to do. Decent at rote material, but unable to ad lib or troubleshoot. No original ideas, either.
He was furloughed years ago and I gave him a part-time position, but he ended up at the VA (go figure). Still smells like a reggae concert.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT