ADVERTISEMENT

Panther fans, we'll be cheering for you...

El Simbolo

HR Heisman
Mar 6, 2002
...please do the same. Will be fun to have eastern Iowa represent in the Emerald City!

Believe it or not, Ditto! I hope the Panthers enjoy a great run.

Meh, as a UNI grad, I kind of hope they lose. Not a bigger little brother complex around than the one in Cedar Falls.

I used to love rooting for the Cyclones and Panthers. Then, suddenly all of their fans became unbearable after they tasted a bit of success (ISU beating IA in football even though sucking overall; UNI v Kansas and beating IA in bball).

I think the internet and social media brought out the worst in those two fan bases.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Ever so often UNI will have campaigns to have you turn in Iowa or ISU clothing for UNI clothing. Give them an ISU/Iowa T shirt get a UNI one free.

Iowa fans may give ISU fans grief about the whole little brother attitude. Nothing compares to the little brother attitude UNI shows. Go Wyoming.

This post was edited on 3/15 10:30 PM by hawkcub

Originally posted by dawgs_04:
I used to love rooting for the Cyclones and Panthers. Then, suddenly all of their fans became unbearable after they tasted a bit of success (ISU beating IA in football even though sucking overall; UNI v Kansas and beating IA in bball).

I think the internet and social media brought out the worst in those two fan bases.

+1

With a little creativity by both Athletic Departments, they could collaborate and maximize the number of fans actively rooting for both schools.

Not that I'm expecting it ... just saying it is possible. And you might even generate some good publicity out of it. Every year you hear about schools actively "recruiting" other school's fan bases to team up. What better reason than another state school from 100 or so miles away?

They have been whining about our seeding this morning. Only UNI fans would be bitching about Iowa's seed and not their own game. The runt brother syndrome is strong in them and it makes it hard for me to cheer for them. I used to actively go to games and even the Sweet 16 game where a ton of ISU and Iowa fans converted to UNI fans for their tourney run.

I expect Iowa fans to cheer on UNI and then I expect UNI fans to cheer on Davidson.

The large majority of UNI fans I know cheer for Iowa almost as much (if not on the same level) as they do UNI. Of course there are some bad apples among the fan base (we all have them), but I have to think most will be cheering for the Hawks and vice versa. From my experience the UNI fans who have an irrational hatred of Iowa do so because they are also Iowa State fans.

As for the "turn in your Iowa State/Iowa gear for UNI tshirts" promotion, I think it's smart on their part. Wouldn't you do the same if you walked around campus and saw more ISU/Iowa shirts being worn by students than their actual school?

Won't matter. Only 9 panther/hawks will be able to afford the trip. They will pack their local taverns however.

UNI isn't alone. Check out Purdue's site. They are also questioning Iowa's seed. I don't ever care to have access to MSU or OSU's paid sites but I'm betting that there are posters questioning MSU being on the same line as Iowa and OSU being a 10 seed and Iowa a 7 seed.

UNI lost a grand total of 3 games this year. Their RPI is top 15. The "talking heads" yesterday almost universally felt that they deserved better than the dreaded 5 seed. I don't blame them for feeling disappointed.
However, you are right, they shouldn't be bitching about Iowa's seed. They should be bitching about their own seeding. The potential irony is that the complainers likely want UNI's victory over Iowa to mean something yet they also want to argue that Iowa doesn't deserve a 7 seed.

Originally posted by GT Hawkaholic:

They have been whining about our seeding this morning. Only UNI fans would be bitching about Iowa's seed and not their own game.

Clown fans should have a lot of $ saved up since they never have to spend any on a bowl game.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by TailgateTom:
Meh, as a UNI grad, I kind of hope they lose. Not a bigger little brother complex around than the one in Cedar Falls.

Seriously?

So sad, as an UNI alum and you hope they lose. UNI is in the spotlight every so often and you are jealous of that.... I am also an alum and don't know any friends that have little brother syndrome. Most are Hawkeye fans and also cheer on UNI when they are doing well. It's not like UNI has this large following like the Hawks or Cyclones.

To me, this basically sounds like, "I use to love rooting for UNI and ISU when we would beat them." Regardless, I will cheer for Iowa and UNI unless either play ISU. Best of luck in the tourney.

Originally posted by AuroraHawk:

UNI isn't alone. Check out Purdue's site. They are also questioning Iowa's seed. I don't ever care to have access to MSU or OSU's paid sites but I'm betting that there are posters questioning MSU being on the same line as Iowa and OSU being a 10 seed and Iowa a 7 seed.

UNI lost a grand total of 3 games this year. Their RPI is top 15. The "talking heads" yesterday almost universally felt that they deserved better than the dreaded 5 seed. I don't blame them for feeling disappointed.
However, you are right, they shouldn't be bitching about Iowa's seed. They should be bitching about their own seeding. The potential irony is that the complainers likely want UNI's victory over Iowa to mean something yet they also want to argue that Iowa doesn't deserve a 7 seed.

Originally posted by GT Hawkaholic:

They have been whining about our seeding this morning. Only UNI fans would be bitching about Iowa's seed and not their own game.
Regardless of the eye test or not, I think this really goes to show the value placed on road/neutral wins. Iowa kind of stunk it up on a neutral court but Purdue of all teams should not be bitching about their seed.

They had two BAD losses in the non-conference. Iowa? We had SEVEN true road wins, including beating tournament teams UNC, Indiana and OSU. OSU has a 10 seed because they played and beat no one outside of Columbus and Iowa beat them handily, TWICE.

I think Wichita got what they deserved, who did they beat outside their home venue?

UNI? I think they deserved a 4 as beat Iowa on a neutral court, won at SFA, beat Wichita State and won their tournament. Unfortunately, it's still a numbers game and they only had TWO top 50 wins at the end of the year.

The mid-majors really get a raw deal as they only get a few chances to prove themselves. Case in point, BYU. I think they are a top 25 type team and even with a win at Gonzaga they barely made it in.

Who has the easier road, UNI or ISU? Even though I think ISU is the better team, I think UNI has an easier road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT