ADVERTISEMENT

**Paris Olympic Wrestling**

I didn't know which of the three Olympic threads to post in, but I went with this one because it has asterisks. Anyway, USA Wrestling put out a great media guide today that you can download. 45 pages with schedules, wrestler bios, details about the field at each weight. Highly recommend.

I didn't know which of the three Olympic threads to post in, but I went with this one because it has asterisks. Anyway, USA Wrestling put out a great media guide today that you can download. 45 pages with schedules, wrestler bios, details about the field at each weight. Highly recommend.

Good find and share. Thanks Dude

Not gonna lie, 1st thing I thought of
Evel-Knievel-Life-Biography.jpg

I've been watching a lot of mens and women's judo. Long and short of it, if you avoid engagement three times a a Hansoku-make is declared and your opponent wins. The officials ruthlessly call it. In a gold medal match last night it happen. Ilia Sulamanidze of Georgia was ipponed [DQed] with 8 second left. He was leading and was clearly superior to opponent, but unlike wrestling, the official enforce the rules.

Somewhat interesting thing from page 36-37 of the media guide, personal coach and official training partner for each MFS wrestler:

-Spencer: Tom, Lugo
-Zain: Cody, Nick Lee
-Dake: Casey, Facundo
-Brooks: Cael, Donovan Ball
-Snyder: Varner, Kerkvliet
-Mason: Churella, Ben Honis
Pulling extra hard for Spencer. Him bringing home the gold medal would really make this year's Olympics the best ever for me, just ahead of Gable dominating the field in 72 and the Miracle on Ice in 80.

Aside from Spencer winning the gold, I also want to see some of the American-born NCAA wrestlers who are representing other countries get beat. I think it sucks for athletes who were actually born and raised in those countries to have their opportunity to represent their respective country taken away by American-born athletes, most of whom probably have never lived in these countries. Yeah, it's good for the Olympics to have the best athletes, etc., etc., but I still think it sucks for the poor guys who are actually from those countries who cannot represent their countries. And clearly we see this in most Olympic sports, but I still don't like it. My preference list for beaten as soon as humanly possible is: 1) Austin Gomez (born in AZ); 2) RBY (born in Arizona); 3) Darian Cruz (born in Pennsylvania); 4) Malik Amine (born in Michigan); 5) Stevan Micic (born in Arizona); and 6) Sebastian Rivera (born in New Jersey). Nothing against these fellas as I'm sure they are all (OK, most of them) top notch gents, but I think the system sucks. Just like I think you need to be born with a vagina to participate in women's sporting events, I think you need to be born in a respective country - or at the very least be a citizen of said country and have been residing in said country for a certain amount of time - to represent that respective country in the Olympics. For instance, Micic represents Serbia and has dual citizenship because his dad is Serbian. But to the best of my knowledge via internet research he has never lived in Serbia, just like RBY has never lived (actually resided in a long-term residence) in Mexico...to the best of my knowledge.

Just venting my frustration and creating conversation since we're still killing time for a few more days before the action gets going.

Pulling extra hard for Spencer. Him bringing home the gold medal would really make this year's Olympics the best ever for me, just ahead of Gable dominating the field in 72 and the Miracle on Ice in 80.

Aside from Spencer winning the gold, I also want to see some of the American-born NCAA wrestlers who are representing other countries get beat. I think it sucks for athletes who were actually born and raised in those countries to have their opportunity to represent their respective country taken away by American-born athletes, most of whom probably have never lived in these countries. Yeah, it's good for the Olympics to have the best athletes, etc., etc., but I still think it sucks for the poor guys who are actually from those countries who cannot represent their countries. And clearly we see this in most Olympic sports, but I still don't like it. My preference list for beaten as soon as humanly possible is: 1) Austin Gomez (born in AZ); 2) RBY (born in Arizona); 3) Darian Cruz (born in Pennsylvania); 4) Malik Amine (born in Michigan); 5) Stevan Micic (born in Arizona); and 6) Sebastian Rivera (born in New Jersey). Nothing against these fellas as I'm sure they are all (OK, most of them) top notch gents, but I think the system sucks. Just like I think you need to be born with a vagina to participate in women's sporting events, I think you need to be born in a respective country - or at the very least be a citizen of said country and have been residing in said country for a certain amount of time - to represent that respective country in the Olympics. For instance, Micic represents Serbia and has dual citizenship because his dad is Serbian. But to the best of my knowledge via internet research he has never lived in Serbia, just like RBY has never lived (actually resided in a long-term residence) in Mexico...to the best of my knowledge.

Just venting my frustration and creating conversation since we're still killing time for a few more days before the action gets going.

They’re probably training in the USA by coaches from the USA? If any of the guys from our team wrestle them we damn well better win. Please take the vagina statement to the other thread.
Go Spencer, Go Hawks!

Those guys must have dual citizenship, eh?

Broadly I agree with you. I don’t have a problem with athletes representing their parent(s)’ country, Micic for example, but anything more distant than that and I would draw the line

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. IMHO, the more Americans that can qualify for other countries, the better. It creates good competition.

Also, have you been to Tucson? You might have a different opinion if you've been there.

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
I'm going to disagree with you on this one. IMHO, the more Americans that can qualify for other countries, the better. It creates good competition.

Also, have you been to Tucson? You might have a different opinion if you've been there.
I lived in Sierra Vista, AZ, and Phoenix, AZ at different times as an adult (did my undergrad at Arizona State) and have been to Tucson at least 25 times. I’m tracking with what you’re alluding to.

And yes, I concur with your comments about good competition but still hate it for the country men who get beat by Americans before they even get to the Olympics.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I lived in Sierra Vista, AZ, and Phoenix, AZ at different times as an adult (did my undergrad at Arizona State) and have been to Tucson at least 25 times. I’m tracking with what you’re alluding to.

And yes, I concur with your comments about good competition but still hate it for the country men who get beat by Americans before they even get to the Olympics.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Arizona is one of my favorite states!

Nice. We should see match ups for Spencer tomorrow?
Not until the 7th, is what I’ve read on the UWW website. See link below for all seeds In Men’s, Women’s and Greco.
When do they draw the brackets?
1 day before competition begins

Reactions: el dub
Not until the 7th, is what I’ve read on the UWW website. See link below for all seeds In Men’s, Women’s and Greco.

1 day before competition begins

Well I hope they don't draw brackets too late because apparently I have to be up at 430am next day to see Spencer.

If you don't mind me asking, where's your wife from? I met my Mrs. in San Jose. I took her out to meet the parents in Pennsylvania and she told me, I'm never moving here. (Not because of the parents, the humidity.)
If she thinks PA is bad, have her visit the SC coast in summer. Never gets below 80 at night for three months. Winter is quite nice though.

I feel good about our chances to bring home at least two gold in mens FS. Spencer and Dake. The others all have a shot though.

If she thinks PA is bad, have her visit the SC coast in summer. Never gets below 80 at night for three months. Winter is quite nice though.

I feel good about our chances to bring home at least two gold in mens FS. Spencer and Dake. The others all have a shot though.
I lived in the low country for 4 years and can confirm the humidity. Beautiful country, great food, fishing and people though.

Elor has the #1 seed and reigning 68kg World champ 1st round.

Coon also has the reigning World champ 1st rd

Last edited:
Reactions: Inthecircle
8 of the 21 wrestling "journalists" picked someone other than Tazhudinov to win 97KG [6 picked Snyder and 2 went for Magomedov] That seems crazy.

Doubt it. The rules aren’t that stringent.
I don't know the rules for wrestling but former Iowa WBB POY Megan Gustafson got a phone call from Spain to play for them and she accepted. They sent her a passport and she was good to go. It helped that she played professionally in Spain, but I'd think that the IOC makes it pretty easy to allow athletes in different sports compete for teams/nations that they aren't from. Just a guess though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT