ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Angerer named Iowa football’s next radio color commentator

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Former All-America linebacker Pat Angerer will be Iowa football’s next radio color commentator, Hawkeye Sports Properties announced Monday in a news release.

Angerer will join longtime play-by-play commentator Gary Dolphin in the radio booth, starting with Iowa’s Aug. 31 home opener against Illinois State. He replaces Ed Podolak, who announced plans in April to transition into a smaller pregame role after 42 years in the booth.

“Ed and Gary have been a huge part of my Hawkeye football experience as a player and fan, and I hope that I can do them, the university, the football program, and the fans justice,” Angerer said in the news release. “I plan to take the same passion I had as a player to the booth."

Angerer played at Iowa from 2005-09 and was a part of four bowl teams. He was a first-team All-American in 2009 and led the Big Ten in tackles with 12.8 per game in conference play.

He was the 63rd overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft and played four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts. Now a decade after the end of his NFL career, Angerer lives in Bettendorf with his wife Mary Beth and three children.

“Pat’s passion for Hawkeye football has been evident from the moment he set foot on campus nearly 15 years ago,” Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz said in a statement. “He was the heartbeat of our team throughout his career, and I am confident that he will do a great job on the air.”

Gabe Aguirre, the general manager of Learfield’s Hawkeye Sports Properties, said Angerer “brought passion and energy to every game day, and we have no doubt he will do the same as our color analyst.”

ADVERTISING

“It’s never easy replacing a legend, but I think Pat is the perfect fit to join Gary in the booth, given his experience in college and the NFL and his love for the Hawkeyes,” Aguirre said in the release.

Is this the right choice for Iowa?​

There were other strong candidates — former kicker Nate Kaeding, former quarterback James Vandenberg, former defensive lineman Mitch King — but Angerer’s combination of personality, game knowledge and growth potential made him the ideal candidate. He’s the everyman of Iowa football.

Funny, self-deprecating and insightful, few people came up with more one-liners than Angerer during his playing career. He also can be serious and introspective, a combination that makes him a solid choice to interpret the action on the field and provide analysis to a radio audience.

Angerer is the life of the party, which he demonstrated by inviting thousands of Iowa fans to a massive Indianapolis bar before the 2015 Big Ten championship game. Collectively, they drank the establishment out of beer.

Does he have any announcing experience?
None. That I know of. Saw many of his interviews. I think he will be a joy for Hawkeye fans commenting.

Aren’t you FOR people pulling themselves up? Reaching for more than they think themselves?

I don’t understand why you are questioning this.

None. That I know of. Saw many of his interviews. I think he will be a joy for Hawkeye fans commenting.

Aren’t you FOR people pulling themselves up? Reaching for more than they think themselves?

I don’t understand why you are questioning this.
I don't think Nothern was cutting him down, just asking if he had experience. I just saw and talked with Pat a week ago and he will be awesome. He is one funny son of a gun and had me in stiches when we last talked. Go get em Pat!!!!

LOL. Sure. Now you’re sounding like my ex who said the same thing while she was cheating on me.

Reading too much into it.

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

They picked the guy who doesn't even watch the games. That sounds smart. :confused:

Is this the right choice for Iowa?​

There were other strong candidates — former kicker Nate Kaeding, former quarterback James Vandenberg, former defensive lineman Mitch King — but Angerer’s combination of personality, game knowledge and growth potential made him the ideal candidate. He’s the everyman of Iowa football.

Funny, self-deprecating and insightful, few people came up with more one-liners than Angerer during his playing career. He also can be serious and introspective, a combination that makes him a solid choice to interpret the action on the field and provide analysis to a radio audience.

Angerer is the life of the party, which he demonstrated by inviting thousands of Iowa fans to a massive Indianapolis bar before the 2015 Big Ten championship game. Collectively, they drank the establishment out of beer.

Was Ricky Stanzi available?

I don't think Nothern was cutting him down, just asking if he had experience. I just saw and talked with Pat a week ago and he will be awesome. He is one funny son of a gun and had me in stiches when we last talked. Go get em Pat!!!!
Dude. I think Pat is going to be great. He’ll get experience.
I, like before, am genuinely curious why you are questioning this.

I think Pats going to be great.

Reactions: TornadoHawk93
Good choice!,.. you need a color commentator, hire a colorful guy...

Not really pertinent to the thread, but Pat Angerer had the most dominant performance I have ever seen from a defensive player in a state championship football game.

Reactions: Tunadog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT