ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick in portal

This ought to be interesting to see where he ends up.

I don't think he'll have many high major options but coaches are desperate for transfers so who knows.

I'm glad for him and us.

Maybe some more stern coaching can fix his game. Like learning how to step in front of a driver vs jumping out of the way.

This ought to be interesting to see where he ends up.

I don't think he'll have many high major options but coaches are desperate for transfers so who knows.

I'm glad for him and us.

Maybe some more stern coaching can fix his game. Like learning how to step in front of a driver vs jumping out of the way.
I’m really surprised he’s actually wanting to play another year somewhere. He does not at all look like he enjoys playing basketball. But maybe playing somewhere away from his father will be enjoyable for him.

Ye
I’m really surprised he’s actually wanting to play another year somewhere. He does not at all look like he enjoys playing basketball. But maybe playing somewhere away from his father will be enjoyable for him.
Yeah, maybe another coach can build a fire under him which was my biggest complaint with pmac. He does have skills, but at Iowa he was the epitome of soft/lazy IMO.

5QFgfm.gif

Seriously, I wish Pat all the best.

Last edited:
Why not put your name in? It don't cost nothing. It may be he just wants to see what is out there or even possibly get a few bucks. You never know if a team just needs something because of transfers.
Commit somewhere and draw a little paycheck and then quit right before the season starts.
I feel like I’ve seen something similar happen recently. 🤔

lol. Is he going D3 where he belongs?
I fail to understand how anyone can bash a kid as brave as Patrick McCaffery. He's battled cancer and won. He has dealt with mental health issues and continued to be a member of the Iowa basketball team. He has dealt with people that only see him as a basketball player and not as a twenty-two year old young man who has to put up with people calling him a D3 caliber player.

I am going to go on record as saying that ( I believe ) Patrick is a solid D1 player. I have enjoyed his career at Iowa, just as I enjoyed Connor's. I am wishing his family all the best going forward.

This just must be a case of him not knowing what to do with his life so the easiest thing to do is stall for another year. It's funny to think next year may be his first year away from his parents. With his past history they better keep a close watch on him.

Commit somewhere and draw a little paycheck and then quit right before the season starts.
I feel like I’ve seen something similar happen recently. 🤔
When did I say quit before playing for Patrick? I get the reference to Proctor but now sure how that applies here?

I fail to understand how anyone can bash a kid as brave as Patrick McCaffery. He's battled cancer and won. He has dealt with mental health issues and continued to be a member of the Iowa basketball team. He has dealt with people that only see him as a basketball player and not as a twenty-two year old young man who has to put up with people calling him a D3 caliber player.

I am going to go on record as saying that ( I believe ) Patrick is a solid D1 player. I have enjoyed his career at Iowa, just as I enjoyed Connor's. I am wishing his family all the best going forward.
Expressing the opinion that he was no better than a D3 player is not bashing anyone. He didn't call him names, or anything of the sort.

Expressing the opinion that he was no better than a D3 player is not bashing anyone. He didn't call him names, or anything of the sort.
Thank you. I never once bashed the kid for who he is and unfortunately he went through some crappy things in life. But I’m not going to give him a break when it comes to his basketball skills just because of what he went through.
Everyone’s gone through things in life, does that mean we all should have played at iowa?

Reactions: Hawkstate1
Like you ever could play D3. Dbag.
Hey Connor, let me know where I ever mentioned that I could play D3. In fact I played against a few D3 players in high school and I can tell you for a fact I couldn’t have played D3 basketball. Football on the other hand is a different story as I was recruited.

This is interesting. PMac, TP & Bowen in the portal.

What if scenario: Fran flames out & no one from the portal signs up. All three mentioned above don't receive the offers they feel they are worthy of. All three come back to Iowa, re-signed with NIL deals.

Discuss.... lol

I understand Margaret but life deals trials for so many families. Sports is an outlet and a reprieve from all that. I am glad Patrick beat some bad health trials and leave it at that.

This is bizarre. Leaving a program where you play for your dad and waiting until your fifth year to do it. Hope it goes well for him, he’s been through a lot.
Unlikely that it signals Frans departure. He probably would’ve let his dad announce first rather than telegraph it.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion

What if scenario: Fran flames out & no one from the portal signs up. All three mentioned above don't receive the offers they feel they are worthy of. All three come back to Iowa, re-signed with NIL deals.

Discuss.... lol
Throwing NIL $ at a kid with limited options sounds like a Barta strategy.

Agree! Awesome to see a post that doesn’t bash pmac

Very interesting to see the coach's son go to the transfer portal. Maybe he just wants one more year to play against weaker competition? Regardless, makes me wonder if Fran is done.

Reactions: QChawks and cm8124
This is bizarre. Leaving a program where you play for your dad and waiting until your fifth year to do it. Hope it goes well for him, he’s been through a lot.
Unlikely that it signals Frans departure. He probably would’ve let his dad announce first rather than telegraph it.

Why is it bizarre? Plenty of grad students would do this WAY before NIL was a thing.

Reactions: amahawk

Discuss.... lol
It makes one wonder what Fran is thinking as far as his future at Iowa is concerned.

I think Fran moving on would be good for everyone.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
I am ready for him to be gone but I don't agree that he was a D3 level player. A D3 level player, even with getting some extra minutes because his dad was coach wouldn't score 9 points per game playing D1 and in the B10. I bet if he goes to the right mid major he will be averaging 15 per game next year. Still may not be doing a lot of defense and rebounding though..

This could easily be a case where Fran and Patrick had their end of year conversation and Fran said he was going to have to play the younger guys and so if Patrick wants to keep playing another year, it would be best to go somewhere else. Connor hanging around made sense because of the team around him. But playing Patrick a lot of minutes next year just doesn't make sense. There won't be a spot for him. Sandfort will be playing the 3.

• Haha
Reactions: twindman
This could easily be a case where Fran and Patrick had their end of year conversation and Fran said he was going to have to play the younger guys and so if Patrick wants to keep playing another year, it would be best to go somewhere else. Connor hanging around made sense because of the team around him. But playing Patrick a lot of minutes next year just doesn't make sense. There won't be a spot for him. Sandfort will be playing the 3.
Fran telling his sons to expect to get less minutes is a conversation that never has nor will happen.😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT