ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick in portal

I wish him luck but it looked like he gave up this year. Plenty of games I saw a lack of effort and hustle which really soured me on him as a player because that is something that you can control.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Interesting post, I was going to say that if he got 5 O rebounds that 3 of them probably bounced right to him. His lack of effort sometimes (far too often IMO) was extremely frustrating.
Patrick’s lack of effort comes from inside of him. Something is going on with him that probably is related to his mental health issues. I said PROBABLY. The basis for that was how he regressed over his career. He had the skills, the drive when he was a freshman. The drive seems gone and there is an underlying reason for that. I’m actually shocked that wants to play another year.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Patrick’s lack of effort comes from inside of him. Something is going on with him that probably is related to his mental health issues. I said PROBABLY. The basis for that was how he regressed over his career. He had the skills, the drive when he was a freshman. The drive seems gone and there is an underlying reason for that. I’m actually shocked that wants to play another year.
Agree with this.

Looking back, it is easy to see why players like Gannon and other golden Oldies like Todd Berkanpas and Troy skinner didn't thrive at college level. They all played 1A basketball in Iowa and dominated but didn't have the size/athleticism advantage when they got to college level.
Those two immediately came to my mind when thinking about past players who didn't pan out.

I’d like to say if he weren’t Fran’s son he wouldn’t have played but Josh ogelsby.
I know someone who played with him. Apparently Fran was not exaggerating when he said Josh was lights out in practice. That someone also told me he wouldn't be shocked if it was tracked if he shot like over 65% overall in practice. To Fran's defense if that's all true I guess I see the allure of putting him back out there to some extent.

Interesting post, I was going to say that if he got 5 O rebounds that 3 of them probably bounced right to him. His lack of effort sometimes (far too often IMO) was extremely frustrating.
Not sure it's effort as much as the HC doesn't teach it well or prioritize rebounding. The emphasis is on getting back on offense.

Randy Norton played at Regina but was gone from that team. His younger brother Terry was a good player and on that team. Unlike a lot of 1a teams they had some depth. A lot of crying about the catholic school sweep that year Regina, Regis, and Dowling and the unfair “recruiting”. Can’t speak for Dowling but simply wasn’t the case for Regina and Regis. What made Regis special? Depth 8 players that averaged 8-12 points per game, good athletes. (also won 3a.football championship that year). Gannon was a handful but they sure were not going to blow Regis out of the gym. I really was not all that impressed with Dowling other than Bobby and one of their big men. Regina and Regis definitely had more better players on the court. But Bobby was such a tough matchup for anyone.
Never understood why Nick Norton wasn't pursued. Kid was smallish, but wow quick. Better than MG. Was recruited by Mizzou and Creighton. Knee injury. Watched him play in HS.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
I am sure his Dad is forcing the issue to keep playing, obviously many fans can read that his heart is just no into it. Regardless, maybe a change of scenery is just what the doctor ordered and I wish him well.😎

Both of FMs boys have had a bit of an entitlement attitude which came out above working on weaknesses. Ugly ugly ugly shots for example.

The accident coupled for sure would be difficult to work around for the family. BF's attention certainly didn't help.

The maybe elephant in the room.... Iowa Barnstormer legacy.

Looking back, it is easy to see why players like Gannon and other golden Oldies like Todd Berkanpas and Troy skinner didn't thrive at college level. They all played 1A basketball in Iowa and dominated but didn't have the size/athleticism advantage when they got to college level. I think Gannon averaged around 11ppg for Iowa....he was okay at times, but the Hawkeyes back in Lute's later days got known as Chokeyes becaue they kept losing close game. Gannon was a 90% foul shooter at Regina...when He got to Iowa he was more like 65-70%...It always torqued me that the one thing that should translate from High School to college didn't with Gannon.

Gannon did miss some clutch FTs over his career. He also got a foul call on a Gopher win at Iowa because with Gophers in desperation mode, he got to close to Gopher half court shot and touched the finger of the shooter. Big10 and ACC ruled the Basketball world in those days...winning in B1G10 meant something...no so true since early 2000's.

I think the quality/skill level of baskeball players coming out of Iowa is much better than Lute's days. The problem is most of the native Iowa guys are below the rim/slow twtch guys and you can't win in NCAA tourney with 4 or 5 of those type of guys starting despite MarkJ thinking otherwise. Or maybe you can if you have a 7'4 giant like Purdue though it didn't work last year.
Spot on post - to this day I still can’t understand how you could have a basketball program that was peaking (#1 preseason) and the best PG you could find was Troy Skinner?😢 Not trying to dig on Troy, but obviously he was not D 1 material.

Actually PMac rarely lined up on the baseline for FT's. It was Freeman & Sandfort. PMac was next to the shooter. This is how much Fran trusted his rebounding ability or lackthereof.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
The bolded is the rub with PMAC.

On teams not coached by his Dad.....he wouldn't get enough PT to score 9 a game. Being a no show on D and the boards would have had him on the bench and not averaging 23 minutes a game.
It's going to be easier to rebound for a slender guy like him when he isn't playing in the B10 anymore.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I wish him luck but it looked like he gave up this year. Plenty of games I saw a lack of effort and hustle which really soured me on him as a player because that is something that you can control.
The assistant coaches were on Patrick a lot in terms of effort and attention. Lack of interest on the bench and in time outs. Not the type of player that lends itself to a successful team

Spot on post - to this day I still can’t understand how you could have a basketball program that was peaking (#1 preseason) and the best PG you could find was Troy Skinner?😢 Not trying to dig on Troy, but obviously he was not D 1 material.
I did witness the best game Troy ever had. 1991 NCAA tournament first round win vs E. Tennessee St at Dome.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Dont worry, that wont happen because that is not who he is as a player. Toughness, rebounding and defense. Nope you have nothing to worry about. I saw The Athletic had a list of the top 76 players in the portal and he was not on the list. At least I did not see him. TP was 15 I believe..
I enjoy Sam Amick's commentary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT