ADVERTISEMENT

PC takes down the "Beer Band"

Hawk68

HB MVP
Oct 1, 2001
One person was offended by an off-color song the band was playing. The person complains and instead of an apology and a "we won't do it again," they are put down for the rest of the year. Another tradition goes away because of one dick----!

One person was offended by an off-color song the band was playing. The person complains and instead of an apology and a "we won't do it again," they are put down for the rest of the year. Another tradition goes away because of one dick----!

I'm deeply offended by the Delta Dental Smile Cam and the Case IH Red Zone. I wil look forward to both being banned at Kinnick from this day forth as a result of my complaint.

Corporations are in power and if you think differently you are delusional.
LOL. Who is standing there with their hand out? Not to make this political.....but if the politicians said "NO". Nothing happens. this is simple. The root problem with almost every issue that is an issue begins and ends with govt.

It's simply lazy and convenient for the less informed to just blame "big oil", big "whatever" because they can't or won't see the forest through the trees. Many don't see it on purpose. Others are just stupid.

I am offended because I can no longer drink beer (I have a gluten allergy).

Did sound like they may have gone to far. But the real story is the Iowa band director hated it. While he doesn't have direct control of the BB. I'm sure he said things to the BB in the HMB that lead to this decision.

A former beer band member told me that he had heard the song included gang bang not gang rape. Who knows who's right?

Just don't play that one again and carry on.

I do remember the gang bang song now that you mention it . . .

It's not a revision to Friday night atmosphere. It's decades old.

Corporations are in power and if you think differently you are delusional.
Corporations are nothing more than a company owned by a large number of individual stockholders. Buy a few shares and become part of the power base.

If it's the Sublime song it's actually a song about a rapist that goes to prison and gets a taste of his own medicine. Typical knee jerk PC crowd.

Edit: that's Date Rape...

Reactions: icu81222
LOL. Who is standing there with their hand out? Not to make this political.....but if the politicians said "NO". Nothing happens. this is simple. The root problem with almost every issue that is an issue begins and ends with govt.

It's simply lazy and convenient for the less informed to just blame "big oil", big "whatever" because they can't or won't see the forest through the trees. Many don't see it on purpose. Others are just stupid.

Like Volkswagon

Like Enron

Like that "capitalist"(his words if I remember correctly)who bought the rights to a life saving drug at what $15 a pill and raised it to what $75.

I could go on and on. Government, in general, IS RUN by big money and corporations.

Govt: clean air act; can't or won't fund it; so they have corps like Volkswagon do the tests themselves. How do you think that's gonna work out?

Without any gov't, we'd be living with social Darwinism at a much greater degree than we already do.

There needs to be some balance.

And about people being misinformed. Let's start with climate change, ...

Like Volkswagon

Like Enron

Like that "capitalist"(his words if I remember correctly)who bought the rights to a life saving drug at what $15 a pill and raised it to what $75.

I could go on and on. Government, in general, IS RUN by big money and corporations.

Govt: clean air act; can't or won't fund it; so they have corps like Volkswagon do the tests themselves. How do you think that's gonna work out?

Without any gov't, we'd be living with social Darwinism at a much greater degree than we already do.

There needs to be some balance.

And about people being misinformed. Let's start with climate change, ...
You should come to the off topic board, you'd fit right in.

I like beer. I am offended by this action. I think I will right a strongly worded letter.

I am totally offended by the no fun pc crowd. They are nothing but a bunch of ****ing whiners.

Reactions: icu81222
It was entertaining, nothing like hearing On Iowa and In Heaven There Is No Beer in the Ped Mall on a Friday Night after a couple beers to get pumped for the next day.

3060000000054934.JPG

did somebody say "bang"

If it's the Sublime song it's actually a song about a rapist that goes to prison and gets a taste of his own medicine. Typical knee jerk PC crowd.

Edit: that's Date Rape...

You mean the song that has the line....

If it wasn't for date rape I would never get laid

Gee can't imagine how that would offend anyone in the conservative midwest.

I don't have a problem with the song. I love Sublime but it's not shocking someone got offended.

You mean the song that has the line....

If it wasn't for date rape I would never get laid

Gee can't imagine how that would offend anyone in the conservative midwest.

I don't have a problem with the song. I love Sublime but it's not shocking someone got offended.
Hold up. Does the choir follow them around singing the words? How would anyone know that was an offensive song if they weren't already corrupted?

Go from bar to bar on Friday night before the game and play. Many universities have these actually.

Thanks for the explanation. It helps.

But I am still not understanding the facts here. 1) Is this band somehow sanctioned by the University? Or is it merely university students doing this separate from the University 2) Regardless of the answer to 1), who told them they had to stop?

Hold up. Does the choir follow them around singing the words? How would anyone know that was an offensive song if they weren't already corrupted?
The members of the traveling band play our fight song and sing the parodies of the enemy songs.

Thanks for the explanation. It helps.

But I am still not understanding the facts here. 1) Is this band somehow sanctioned by the University? Or is it merely university students doing this separate from the University 2) Regardless of the answer to 1), who told them they had to stop?
1) Not sanctioned. University students taking independent action on campus.
2) The band director. He still has the power to suspend or expel students from the HMB for actions outside of band activity. He has done so in the past, even to a drum major. That gives him the leverage to ask the beer band director to cease activity. It is true that, despite not being offically HMB-related, the public views all Hawkeye band-type activity as an extension of the HMB-especially since it's done on campus. So the director chose to apply this leverage.

The members of the traveling band play our fight song and sing the parodies of the enemy songs.

1) Not sanctioned. University students taking independent action on campus.
2) The band director. He still has the power to suspend or expel students from the HMB for actions outside of band activity. He has done so in the past, even to a drum major. That gives him the leverage to ask the beer band director to cease activity. It is true that, despite not being offically HMB-related, the public views all Hawkeye band-type activity as an extension of the HMB-especially since it's done on campus. So the director chose to apply this leverage.

Okay, thanks, so at least I now know the salient facts now.

I think "PC" is invoked derisively too often when something that should be offensive to most and should be stopped is stopped.

I also think no one has the right to not be offended.

Too few facts (song content and context) in this thead to render a judgement.

I dislikePC as much as any one but this was just stupid on some ones part. The beer band is there to fire people up( and get free beer) not to make up stupid lyrics. They got what was coming to them

Reactions: mstp1992
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT