ADVERTISEMENT

Pearl Moore

undersized_post

HR All-State
Mar 20, 2021

I dug up Francis Marion's schedule for the senior season of Pearl Moore -- the player who holds the scoring record for the AIAW Small School division. Although they would be considered Division II today, they played more current Division 1 schools* than I expected. So it's not as simple as AIAW Large School mapping directly on to modern day Division 1 and Small School mapping directly on to Division 2. Not trying start any arguments or diminish Caitlin at all (obviousy!!!!) -- just sharing for the context of anyone who is interested.

*Clemson
South Carolina
College of Charleston
Coastal Carolina
South Carolina State
Campbell
UT Chattanooga
William and Mary
High Point

I dug up Francis Marion's schedule for the senior season of Pearl Moore -- the player who holds the scoring record for the AIAW Small School division. Although they would be considered Division II today, they played more current Division 1 schools* than I expected. So it's not as simple as AIAW Large School mapping directly on to modern day Division 1 and Small School mapping directly on to Division 2. Not trying start any arguments or diminish Caitlin at all (obviousy!!!!) -- just sharing for the context of anyone who is interested.

*Clemson
South Carolina
College of Charleston
Coastal Carolina
South Carolina State
Campbell
UT Chattanooga
William and Mary
High Point
AND YET again how would you possibly differentiate points scored against D1 level teams, and "the little sisters of the poor" or teams like High point, Campbell, or William and Mary for Christ's sake. this is such a lesson in futility. Just like this nonsense about the gal in the NAIA at the freakin school of pharmacy who has about the same number of points as Clark, like that (apples to truck tires) comparison is somehow relevant. She plays in gyms with 20 people in them, against mainly players who may have been half way decent high school players. As I said before I had one son play NAIA in a good conference and one played at a NCAA D3 school. Believe me there is ZERO correlation between players at that level, (as a group) and D1 players in the top conferences. Furthermore CC and Iowa have played against the very BEST teams and players in the entire sport in the last 2 calendar years and shown themselves worthy.

Reactions: Chuck C
AND YET again how would you possibly differentiate points scored against D1 level teams, and "the little sisters of the poor" or teams like High point, Campbell, or William and Mary for Christ's sake. this is such a lesson in futility. Just like this nonsense about the gal in the NAIA at the freakin school of pharmacy who has about the same number of points as Clark, like that (apples to truck tires) comparison is somehow relevant. She plays in gyms with 20 people in them, against mainly players who may have been half way decent high school players. As I said before I had one son play NAIA in a good conference and one played at a NCAA D3 school. Believe me there is ZERO correlation between players at that level, (as a group) and D1 players in the top conferences. Furthermore CC and Iowa have played against the very BEST teams and players in the entire sport in the last 2 calendar years and shown themselves worthy.
you're arguing against no one here mate

Reactions: littlez
Why bother posting that. Its meaningless, and just the kind of crap the media puts out to stir up clicks and controversey. There is ZERO comparison......
iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/div-ii-danny-woodhead-div-iii-nate-kmic.438750/

See my post in this other thread.

"Discussing a player who scored more points than CC in a different league and different era does NOT equate to arguing that player is better. Some people -- myself included -- don't really care about records but do care about the history of the game simply for the sake of history. In particular, it helps to better understand the struggle of women in sports to have their efforts recognized and valued as legitimate. The historical messiness and conflict between the AIAW and the NCAA gets at the heart of that topic. It's not about diminishing CC. On the contrary, I'm even more grateful and proud of CC's accomplishments because it has helped shed a light on this issue."

*Clemson
South Carolina
College of Charleston
Coastal Carolina
South Carolina State
Campbell
UT Chattanooga
William and Mary
High Point
You can't really go by the names of the schools, Some may have just started WBB etc BTW what does Iowa do about the stats of it's very early players? IT had one early that really could score--wonder what her average was? ./%Don't recall her name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT