ADVERTISEMENT

PED use in NCAA Wrestling

Mar 25, 2019
https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6380576-2019-ncaa-championships/videos?playing=6408918&limit=60

@4:07

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidd...t-and-little-is-done-to-stop-it/#7ed732763854

"Players are far more likely to be tested for drugs by their schools than by the NCAA. But while many schools have policies that give them the right to test for steroids, they often opt not to. Schools are much more focused on street drugs like cocaine and marijuana."

"Anabolic steroid use and rapid weight gain is a well-established link in the scientific literature. "Weight gain alone doesn't prove steroid use, but very rapid weight gain is one factor that would be deemed suspicious," said Kathy Turpin, senior director of sport drug testing for the National Center for Drug Free Sport, which conducts tests for the NCAA and more than 300 schools."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...roids-loom-major-college-football-report-says

"Adding more than 20 or 25 pounds of lean muscle in a year is nearly impossible through diet and exercise alone, said Dan Benardot, director of the Laboratory for Elite Athlete Performance at Georgia State University."

"Catlin said the collegiate system, in which players often are notified days before a test and many schools don't even test for steroids, is designed to not catch dopers. That artificially reduces the numbers of positive tests and keeps schools safe from embarrassing drug scandals.

While other major sports have been beset by revelations of steroid use, college football has operated with barely a whiff of scandal. Between 1996 and 2010 -- the era of Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Marion Jones and Lance Armstrong -- the failure rate for NCAA steroid tests fell even closer to zero from an already low rate of less than 1 percent.

Even when players are tested by the NCAA, people involved in the process say it's easy enough to anticipate the test and develop a doping routine that results in a clean test by the time it occurs. NCAA rules say players can be notified up to two days in advance of a test, which Catlin says is plenty of time to beat a test if players have designed the right doping regimen. By comparison, Olympic athletes are given no notice.

Everybody knows when testing is coming. They all know. And they know how to beat the test," Catlin said, adding, "Only the really dumb ones are getting caught."

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattski

https://www.wsjmsports.com/tj-dillashaw-suspended-for-positive-drug-test-gives-up-ufc-title-belt/

https://ufc.usada.org/testing/results/athlete-test-history/

https://www.gq.com/story/tj-dillashaw-real-life-diet

"Now I’m with a strength and conditioning coach, Sam Calavitta, who is like a mad scientist. He knows his stuff and how to switch things up to get my body bigger or lighter."

https://www.mymetabolicmeals.com/olympic-dreams-a-qa-on-nutrition-with-wrestler-david-taylor/

"
Metabolic Meals: You’re a big nutrition guy. What exactly is your nutritional philosophy?

David Taylor: When I was younger, I didn’t make nutrition as much of a priority in my life as I do now. I thought I could just eat whatever I wanted and my body would take care of the rest. But I went through a time period with injuries and other issues, and I realized the importance of nutrition at a professional level. I started working with the Training Lab in California and Sam Calavitta. "

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattski
david-taylor.jpg

https://lbsphoto.smugmug.com/Olympi...-Wrestling/165-Champion-2013-NCAA/i-5gfNTSg/A

^ dake v taylor college final

Last edited:
Reactions: honkey69
I think you're pretty naive if you don't think there is some significant PED use in wrestling. I'm not as shocked to see guys get more defined when they get to the international level. But some of these guys look ripped at the collegiate level. It's difficult to achieve those results for anybody but would be particularly difficult for someone trying to make weight for a consistent 4 month block of the year.

https://www.mmanews.com/tj-dillashaw-rips-idiot-cody-garbrandts-comments/

I can make it faster, but it’s all about how I’m gonna perform,”
Dillashaw told BJ Penn Radio. “I want to perform at my best, man. The new coach I’ve been working with, Sam Calavitta, down out of Southern California, my strength and conditioning coach, my nutritionist, he’s the one that kind of gave me the numbers. He’s the one that told me, ‘Look, here’s where your body’s at now.’ I mean, this guy’s a mad scientist. He’s so good with how the body works and things that I need to do to be at my tip-top shape.”

I have documentation if you can help me get it to the right people. I have to know I can trust you though and that this isnt a set up. I would go public with it if I knew that I wouldn't have people coming after me. I'm nervous even writing this to you. I don't know who to connect with that I can trust. I have kids and I don't want any harm to me or especially them.

I have documentation if you can help me get it to the right people. I have to know I can trust you though and that this isnt a set up. I would go public with it if I knew that I wouldn't have people coming after me. I'm nervous even writing this to you. I don't know who to connect with that I can trust. I have kids and I don't want any harm to me or especially them.

You've come to the right place.........The Cesspool........an internet message board.

We can help you for sure..........you can trust us............Bwahahahahahah............

Kinda of weird seeing some of these posts, I read a book last year about Barry Bonds and these quotes sound exactly like excerpts from that book.

Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, BALCO, and the Steroids Scandal that Rocked Professional Sports written by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, reporters for the San Francisco Chronicle.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
I really don't know if there are current NCAA wrestlers juicing, but I do know that it used to be fairly common on D1 football teams...until the testing either started or got better to where the cheaters knew they would likely be caught.

Isn't there a simple solution here...just test the wrestlers at the start of the season and then again at the national tourney...toss out the ones found cheating. Would that not be enough of a deterrent to keep everyone on the up and up?

I think a lot of things are said on this board that are ridiculous just for the hate or jealousy of another team and I get that, but by saying this without any evidence whatsoever is taking it way too far. It boarders on slander. Grow up!

A certain ripped heavyweight gains 40 lbs of cut muscle to become a heavyweight after not being able to beat out someone in his natural weight. SARMs. Google it. Guidos love it. Cleaner than the anavar.

I would guess most of the top MMA guys are and most of the top World Freestyle wrestlers are. Easy to do, and you have to do it to compete. It’s pretty much a no brainer to compete in your chosen profession. More lean muscle mass. You are just trying to level the playing field. Most countries are fostering it. I don’t blame the US guys at all. They have to. If I had to pick the top guys least likely doing it, I’d pick Cox and Gilman. But, I don’t blame any of them for doing it.

Reactions: Fan In Black
I would like to see the NCAA crack down big time on ped use and testing, starting in football and extending into wrestling. The weight and strength gains being made by some of these guys, and physiques on some of the even true freshmen is not natural.

Reactions: Fan In Black
You've come to the right place.........The Cesspool........an internet message board.

We can help you for sure..........you can trust us............Bwahahahahahah............

Ok good. I've got a video tape of two Iowa wrestlers talking about using "scientific methods" of "nutrition" to help them manage their weights. They also talk about how "exercise" is another method they use. They say on video and I quote : "Tom and Terry preach this to every wrestler they coach".
(Edited to add) The Brands brothers also say what they do with the information is "up to them". Question is, who's "them"?

Last edited:
Ok good. I've got a video tape of two Iowa wrestlers talking about using "scientific methods" of "nutrition" to help them manage their weights. They also talk about how "exercise" is another method they use. They say on video and I quote : "Tom and Terry preach this to every wrestler they coach".
(Edited to add) The Brands brothers also say what they do with the information is "up to them". Question is, who's "them"?
If Iowa is using PEDs they need to switch brands...lol

A certain ripped heavyweight gains 40 lbs of cut muscle to become a heavyweight after not being able to beat out someone in his natural weight. SARMs. Google it. Guidos love it. Cleaner than the anavar.
Didn't realize Snyder was a Guido. I do think he could have beaten McIntosh or Burak, but would not have been easy.

Reactions: smealpsu2005

Dog was cutting 20lbs to make 157. Nothing remotely similar.

You seem to believe Cassar wasn't cutting to make 197 last year. I'm not going to claim to know what anyone puts in his/her body, but it wasn't a 40-lb gain by any stretch of the imagination.

In my opinion, the whole adage that adding 20-30 lbs of muscle in a year isn’t accurate. A bit of perspective from my experience...

I went through a divorce in my late 20’s. Got depressed, lost a bunch of weight, etc. In what ended up being a successful effort, i began trying to build back up my confidence by bulking up. I started at 147 lbs in March and by October of the same year was tipping the scales at 205. Not a whole lot of it was fat. Plenty of people questioned, perhaps jokingly, perhaps not, if I was using steroids. I wasn’t. All it was was a whole lot of calories, 5 protein shakes a day, 6 days a week in the gym, and a singleminded obsessiveness, the likes of which I’ve not been able to replicate since. 10 years later, I’m rocking the dad bod with a wife and two kids having long since left weight lifting behind.

Now, I’m certainly not an elite athlete (or much more than an average athlete) like Taylor or cassar are. I’m sure PED use is present in college athletics, including wrestling. But is their physical transformation evidence of PED use? In my opinion, it is not.

Every champion is tested within 10-15 minutes after their championship match in the arena. Also, about 20 other wrestlers are randomly selected to be tested as soon as they’re eliminated from the tournament.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I’m by no means a steroid expert, but I’ve ran a few cycles a few years back so I can say this: anyone with half a brain can find them easily and with no face to face transaction at all. Your not meeting some guy dressed in black in a shady ally at night, I bought all mine straight from the internet after a hour or so of making sure the place was legit. Couple hundred bucks and these guys can have a pretty good cycle for themselves and no one but them would even know. The fact these guys know there’s a chance they get tested at the tournament makes it easy to know when to cycle off.

To say wrestlers aren’t on them because the points to lose weight is naive. There’s so many different types of steroids out there and they all do different things. Some help cardio, some help bulk, some help lose fat, and so on. So not all steroids are meant to bulk up and look like a body builder.

I have no doubt in my mind there’s wrestlers on them. I have some guys in mind, but I wouldn’t go as far as calling them out without 100% proof. It’s something that all sports will always have to deal with.

In my opinion, the whole adage that adding 20-30 lbs of muscle in a year isn’t accurate. A bit of perspective from my experience...

I went through a divorce in my late 20’s. Got depressed, lost a bunch of weight, etc. In what ended up being a successful effort, i began trying to build back up my confidence by bulking up. I started at 147 lbs in March and by October of the same year was tipping the scales at 205. Not a whole lot of it was fat. Plenty of people questioned, perhaps jokingly, perhaps not, if I was using steroids. I wasn’t. All it was was a whole lot of calories, 5 protein shakes a day, 6 days a week in the gym, and a singleminded obsessiveness, the likes of which I’ve not been able to replicate since. 10 years later, I’m rocking the dad bod with a wife and two kids having long since left weight lifting behind.

Now, I’m certainly not an elite athlete (or much more than an average athlete) like Taylor or cassar are. I’m sure PED use is present in college athletics, including wrestling. But is their physical transformation evidence of PED use? In my opinion, it is not.
L.O.L. You did NOT gain 58 pounds of lean muscle in a 7 month stretch. "Not a whole lot of it was fat." Uh, yes it was.

Edit to add: Your opinion aint worth a small turd. It's a scientific fact that you can only put on so much muscle in a certain amount of time with no assistance from enhancers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT