ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota says no public Spring Game because of “changing college landscape”

Mountain Man Hawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
I am being 100% honest when I say this but I genuinely think it's just a little ploy for control and mainly he wanted to make a big statement and get in the news for a little bit.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
My read was that he is trying to suddenly consider spring practice an "exclusive event" to try to induce a few more people to join Dinkytown Athletes, their collective. Afterall, a meet&greet with Tanner Morgan only generates so much interest.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
My read was that he is trying to suddenly consider spring practice an "exclusive event" to try to induce a few more people to join Dinkytown Athletes, their collective. Afterall, a meet&greet with Tanner Morgan only generates so much interest.

Not a terrible idea. If Iowa closed the doors for theirs, but said Swarm members could come and watch, I'm sure you'd see a bump in Swarm.

An interesting line to walk... And not pi$$ off fans.

I'd guess Dinkytown will get about a $100 bump in NIL funds 🤣

Reactions: desihawk
Minn collective has a 10$/mo option as the base membership tier, where as Swarm is still Approx20$/mo as base, other than their newer free option. OSU and Michigan also have 10$/mo tiers...didnt check other schools.

Got to wonder if Iowa also offered a 10$/mo tier would overall fan contributions go up or down. Hopefully the price point for Iowa is not an arbitrary decision, and based on data. It might hook people in offering a lower price point like these other schools...but maybe that is wht the free option is for.

Last edited:
It’s because spring happens in July there.

Also - I love MSP - just had to say something to rip that place.

Fleck turned down imaginary offers at Alabama, Washington, and several NFL gigs. He's in his planning stages of owning the now division-less B1G Conference. No time available for Spring Games open to the 12 cousins wanting to watch.

This seems like something that will catch on. PJ hate aside, Spring football is spread out over several weeks. If you are Minnesota, or Iowa, why let the teams with massive NIL buckets to come in and watch your kids. Let's say Tennessee has their Spring practice a week before Iowa does. They lose a CB to a knee injury. Maybe they like their #2, or maybe they like someone on Iowa's team and offer a bunch of cash. Maybe they move their #2 to starter, but look at Iowa's depth chart and see depth options to scoop up.
I can see Spring ball becoming an invitation only event for Swarm members, season ticket holders, and large donors to the university. Season ticket holders could buy access for a minimal fee, and make it a non-transferrable ticket.
The world is changing.

He was having the OLman punt with Schembechler watching.

“Chuck Long, the All-American quarterback who finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1985, told another story about the Ohio State-Iowa game his senior year, an epic No. 1 vs. No. 2 battle won by the Hawkeyes, 12-10.”

Uh, it was Michigan. Which makes me wonder how much is incorrect in the rest of the story.

This story, which I've heard several times over the years, involves another Iowa player subbing in for the regular long snapper (not the punter) during punting warmups and he was performing so badly that Bo noticed and asked Fry what was up.

This story, which I've heard several times over the years, involves another Iowa player subbing in for the regular long snapper (not the punter) during punting warmups and he was performing so badly that Bo noticed and asked Fry what was up.

Bo: Fry, you're not gonna let that guy snap...are you?
Hayden: Bo, we don't plan on punting today <walks away>

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT