ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State

hawk-i bob

HR Heisman
Oct 1, 2007
Iowa City
will be a tough game...physical game..this is a game we need a strong set of officials.

...Newbill has something to prove. Garner is physical.

Penn St had how many block shots yestreday?

Penn St has a shot at NIT...a win over us will help that alot.

would have preferred the matchup with Nebraska...we need to match them physically.

dont like this matchup..the really good Iowa team needs to take the court..

Honestly, if we are worried about a game against the 13th seed, we need to concede now. If we have a good team, (and I think we do), this is a game that you must win and must win fairly easily.

We should absolutely murder them on the glass. I think a key point as was stated is how will the game be called? Yesterday it was called tight and that's going to favor Iowa in a big time way getting to the foul line. If it's allowed to be physical it's a different story.

Nebraska shot 30% and nearly won because they outrebound PSU by 20! Iowa should have that same advantage if the game is called right. Getting Dickerson in foul trouble would open up the door to interior domination. Need to contain Garner and Newbill from 3, they both had a big day and Newbill has averaged 27.5 in his last two games.

Originally posted by Suterman:
Honestly, if we are worried about a game against the 13th seed, we need to concede now. If we have a good team, (and I think we do), this is a game that you must win and must win fairly easily.
This. No disrespect meant to Penn State but sometimes I think some in our fan base thinks were bringing back Lick for this game or something. If you can't handle Penn State on a neutral floor that wouldn't bode well for any games in the NCAA, IMHO. Iowa wins this by 10, at least.

Why in the world should we take anyone lightly Suterman? If I'm Fran I worry about all of them and quite frankly we don't have a ton to play for until next week. Obviously a seed or two higher depending on how deep we go but this is a game we could have a let down. That said:

Iowa 66
PSU 49

In fact the '06 team reeled us in with a run at the BTT. The BTT doesn't always translate to Tourney success and vice versa.

I don't see PSU being as lights out from three as they were in the game in Happy Valley, if they are then we are in for another battle.

Need to defend the 3 and epically Newbill. A lot of the game will depend on how well we hedge the high ball screen and if we can get the ball out of Newbill's hands. I think we should own the boards but they better come to play.

If the officials allow a lot of contact around the basket, this will be a tough game. If not, the Hawks should handled PSU. Would be a good game for Jok to pull out of his funk.

Every B1G team has a couple of difference makers...some more than others...Newbill is one..anyone taking Penn St lightly...doesn't understand.

don't ever take a B1G team lightly.....ever. Congrats to PennSt...they won and didn't even play well on the offensive end..until it counted..

on to NCAA

Originally posted by hawk-i bob:
don't ever take a B1G team lightly.....ever. Congrats to PennSt...they won and didn't even play well on the offensive end..until it counted..

on to NCAA
You called this one pretty well.

Question. Do you recall a year ago when McCaffery and others were saying we need to get more "toughness"?

It seems like (to me) we struggle in the physical games and excellent when games are called like a basketball game. What do you think?

Originally posted by DanL53:

Originally posted by hawk-i bob:

on to NCAA
You called this one pretty well.

Question. Do you recall a year ago when McCaffery and others were saying we need to get more "toughness"?

It seems like (to me) we struggle in the physical games and excellent when games are called like a basketball game. What do you think?
Unless Fran can change that, Iowa will continue to lose to MSU and teams that win by literally knocking you off your game.
Hutton and Wagner seem like players who might do OK in physical games, and we might need a few more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT