ADVERTISEMENT

People wonder why I'm not overly optimistic about this year. Just remember Cooper DeJean had more touchdowns than ALL our WR's COMBINED last year...

So true. Why would I think an O-line with the same personnel would make giant leaps forward?

I'd love for it to happen, but I don't see solid reasoning for optimism concerning giant leaps. I'm expecting baby steps, that is, a line that is not horrible like last year, but slightly below average.
Ye of little faith.

We've actually seen major OL improvement from one year to the next in the KF era. Two easy examples: from 2000 to 2001 and from 2004 to 2005.

I can definitely see why you are a glass half empty type of guy after gong 2-10 last year, not going to a bowl game, both offense and defense sucking the way they did, not putting anyone on the NFL, not being ranked in the top 25, and it’s not like Iowa has the third most All Americans since 2010 …..need I say more?

When you have a championship level defense, you're in every game. Why shouldn't we be optimistic when there is a new QB, a couple of WR's, 2 great TE's and a year of growth in the OL. It's not like the offense has to be potent for the Hawks to win games.

Oh, and a great punter and a pretty good PK'er.

And an easier schedule.

Let's not pretend the Hawks have never been any good.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
Well - luckily we can thank lack of QB play in the B10 west for making our defensive stats look shiny. Giving up 15ppg vs offensive powers Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana, etc. is different than Georgia giving up 15ppg in the SEC.

Ok

Does it worry anyone else that we are trotting out the exact same line as last year at least according to the two deep? No Feth, No Parker, No Kadyn obviously. If we had flipped like two or three starters, that’s one thing. It will sure be interesting.

LOL….maybe, but as I said a day or two ago. I am absolutely expecting the running game to be night and day better.

Logan Jones was a horrifying bundle of nerves last year in his first year on the job! He has the strength and athleticism, and I have seen some video tape of him doing some good things, and there are those out there, outside the facility, that have suggested his upside.

His improvement alone along the line will greatly improve the interior running game, and I think the consensus is we have at the very least average to above average guards.

Also, as I believe you and I have talked amongst others, Mason Richman has made a couple preseason all Big Ten teams at the third level, although I share your concern right tackle…

Dunker is a beast and I have to believe if he can get his hands on you in the running game you’re gonna struggle getting away, pass blocking is going to be his issue!!

LOL….maybe, but as I said a day or two ago. I am absolutely expecting the running game to be night and day better.

Logan Jones was a horrifying bundle of nerves last year in his first year on the job! He has the strength and athleticism, and I have seen some video tape of him doing some good things, and there are those out there, outside the facility, that have suggested his upside.

His improvement alone along the line will greatly improve the interior running game, and I think the consensus is we have at the very least average to above average guards.

Also, as I believe you and I have talked amongst others, Mason Richman has made a couple preseason all Big Ten teams at the third level, although I share your concern right tackle…

Dunker is a beast and I have to believe if he can get his hands on you in the running game you’re gonna struggle getting away, pass blocking is going to be his issue!!
I am guessing it clicks now for Jones also.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I am just afraid that Copper DeJean and frankly everybody might get hurt. We need to make sure we don't play to rough out there.

Ye of little faith.

We've actually seen major OL improvement from one year to the next in the KF era. Two easy examples: from 2000 to 2001 and from 2004 to 2005.
Yes, 19-23 years ago. And wouldn't we all have to admit that last year's line was perhaps the worst in the KF era, and that the transfers are 2nd string?

Let me say I have said I expect improvement, but just not giant leaps. Surely, beyond all doubt, these guys have to be supremely motivated concerning their status in infamy.

Reactions: Bones Malone
Well - luckily we can thank lack of QB play in the B10 west for making our defensive stats look shiny. Giving up 15ppg vs offensive powers Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana, etc. is different than Georgia giving up 15ppg in the SEC.
How many points did the Kentucky offense score again? The Iowa D outscored them 14-0.

So last year we won 8 games. This year we have a proven QB, great RB, 2 excellent TEs, more depth and skill on the outside and more depth and experience in the line. At this point at least I don’t get why so many are losing sleep.
Oh well…prepared to lose my voice on Saturday! Go Hawks

Reactions: F5n5
Yes, 19-23 years ago. And wouldn't we all have to admit that last year's line was perhaps the worst in the KF era, and that the transfers are 2nd string?

Let me say I have said I expect improvement, but just not giant leaps. Surely, beyond all doubt, these guys have to be supremely motivated concerning their status in infamy.
Last year's line was poor, but I strongly disagree that it was the worst of the KF era. That distinction belongs to the 1999 team. One starter on that line went one to become All-B1G, All-American, and a high NFL draft pick, and we had absolutely no reason believe that would happen in 1999 or 2000.

Does it worry anyone else that we are trotting out the exact same line as last year at least according to the two deep? No Feth, No Parker, No Kadyn obviously. If we had flipped like two or three starters, that’s one thing. It will sure be interesting.
It's obviously not the same line according to the two deep. Feth and Parker are indeed in (even if not as starters), as well as Dotzler. Plumb is gone. Some guys are in new spots.

Reactions: cmhawks99
After KF said Tuesday he likes winning ugly and one of his favorite w's was the 6-4 pillow fight with Penn State, nothing will change offensively. I'd say BF is cooked if Cade misses the first few games, no way they average 25 ppg without his under center. Even then, its questionable as the Oline has been so awful the past 2 years. Same coaching, same mentality leads me to think another 8-5 type of year with BF once again serving as a punchline.

After KF said Tuesday he likes winning ugly and one of his favorite w's was the 6-4 pillow fight with Penn State, nothing will change offensively. I'd say BF is cooked if Cade misses the first few games, no way they average 25 ppg without his under center. Even then, its questionable as the Oline has been so awful the past 2 years. Same coaching, same mentality leads me to think another 8-5 type of year with BF once again serving as a punchline.

So what do you attribute the 9,10,11 & 12 win teams too?

And that 6-4 game was anything but a pillow fight.

What a dolt!

Obviously, some of or maybe most of you, did not live through the 70's seasons. You think it is rough now. Maybe that is why I still get excited each year and hope for the best.

Go Hawks
And this is why most of us just shake our heads. People insisting on bringing up something 50 years ago to justify the pathetic experience as of late.

Reactions: Bones Malone
If there's one thing we know about Iowa football, it's that the offense is always going to disappoint. If anyone is expecting the Hawkeyes to come out on Saturday, throwing the ball all over the field and anything other than the most boring offense imaginable, they haven't watched Iowa in the last 15 years.

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
It would take a minor miracle for this pathetic, 1972 junior high offense to have a freakin' pulse. I'll be locked in every week but keeping expectations real. The only thing I expect is plenty of punts.
Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
3-0 at halftime in the first B10 west game of the year to prove my point.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
And this is why most of us just shake our heads. People insisting on bringing up something 50 years ago to justify the pathetic experience as of late.

8-5….pathetic…..hmmm. Most…..no chance! I wish we scored more but this team is lots of things but pathetic is NOT one of them.

It’s because of foolish comments like that from a loud minority that invoke “50 year old” comments!

Just sayin’….

So what do you attribute the 9,10,11 & 12 win teams too?

And that 6-4 game was anything but a pillow fight.

What a dolt!
Dolt, lol. are you reading books again? The game was 9 years ago and KF is beating his chest on how that was one of his best w's he has had at Iowa is mind blowing and tone deaf to the current state of Iowa football. Iowa had 10 first downs, PSU 6. If that is not an offensive pillow fight, I have no idea what is. Lastly, I have zero idea what a 9-12 win season has to do with the current condition of the Iowa program today. KF and his son have single handedly taken much of the joy out of watching them play through an antiquated offensive scheme that yields poor results when the Oline can't deliver. Like everyone else, I hope things are different this year, but i am not at all optimistic given recent history and KF's well documented stubbornness.

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
Dolt, lol. are you reading books again? The game was 9 years ago and KF is beating his chest on how that was one of his best w's he has had at Iowa is mind blowing and tone deaf to the current state of Iowa football. Iowa had 10 first downs, PSU 6. If that is not an offensive pillow fight, I have no idea what is. Lastly, I have zero idea what a 9-12 win season has to do with the current condition of the Iowa program today. KF and his son have single handedly taken much of the joy out of watching them play through an antiquated offensive scheme that yields poor results when the Oline can't deliver. Like everyone else, I hope things are different this year, but i am not at all optimistic given recent history and KF's well documented stubbornness.
If Cade can stay healthy, I think Hawk fans will be pleasantly surprised with the offense this season.

No, they won't be throwing it all over the field....but the passing game will be more effective and more of a threat, which should also open up the run game.

Yes I read quite a bit….

It was 19 years ago…

There is a statute of limitations on how long you can be proud of a win?

I believe it was the week his father died…

In a rain storm?!?!

Iowas recent history has them with the 16th best winning % over the last 10 years…

I’d pick a different team if I were you, because down is a more likely destination for someone like you, than up…

Just sayin’…

Junior will never be cooked.
We could average 8.6 ppg for the year and Junior would return.
As long as The Capt is here, Junior will be here.
No one in a position of authority would dare to offend The Capt.

Dan Patrick show mocking Iowa football and Iowa players. So awesome. Iowa football is slightly less pathetic than Iowa fans.

I'm concerned as much as anyone about the oline because it's mostly the same folks who struggled last year but the QB and WR situation is night and day from last year.
Oline will be better than last year and that will be good enough for a couple wins from last year's loss column.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
Dan Patrick show mocking Iowa football and Iowa players. So awesome. Iowa football is slightly less pathetic than Iowa fans.
It's good to be nationally recognized and have people talking about you.

Also Dan spent a segment on his show yesterday not understanding why Fall doesn't start on September 1st. He's taken a few hits to the head.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT