ADVERTISEMENT

Perishable food during a winter storm power outage?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
So, I'm reading this CNN article about the groceries and supplies you should have on hand to prepare for a winter storm, and they have this section on perishable food in your fridge and freezer.

Uh, if the power is out during a WINTER STORM, won't your entire house be like a fridge, and you could put the frozen stuff outside?

During a hurricane power outage, ice is a critical commodity. Everything has to go in beer coolers to keep it cool. But in a winter storm? Am I missing something here?

Reactions: seminoleed
Unless the power is out for several days, your house isn't going to cool down to 35 degrees in order to keep refrigerated items safe. And if you put stuff outside, neighbor kids and raccoons will get it.

Why would you open the windows? Do you want busted water pipes and a pissed off wife?
Put your food in coolers and put them outside, don’t lose whatever heat the house still has.

I guess you weren't following the conversation.

Wut? You suggested in Post # 3 how to solve the problem…

So open a window. Problem solved

You still don't get it.

Here, let me explain like you're five years old:

I said, "wouldn't your house get cold enough?"

TJ said, "that won't happen for days."

I said, "open a window."

And of course all of this is joking around, but you still don't get it.

You still don't get it.

Here, let me explain like you're five years old:

I said, "wouldn't your house get cold enough?"

TJ said, "that won't happen for days."

I said, "open a window."

And of course all of this is joking around, but you still don't get it.
You are really missing a cog or two.
When TJ said that it would take days for the house to get cold enough for food to keep, that is with the house closed up tight. Opening a window changes the equation. If you want frozen pipes, open a window in sub freezing temps.
Dang dude.

• Haha
Reactions: SWIowahawks
You are really missing a cog or two.
When TJ said that it would take days for the house to get cold enough for food to keep, that is with the house closed up tight. Opening a window changes the equation. If you want frozen pipes, open a window in sub freezing temps.
Dang dude.

Can't you just run your faucets to keep the pipes from freezing?

Can't you just run your faucets to keep the pipes from freezing?
No you can't it just doesn't work that way. It got down to -2 here last night. There are so many things in a house that doesn't like that kind of cold including drywall joint compound. Are you really as stupid as you come across?

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
You are clearly a southerner...

Edit to add: When it is really cold (decently below 32) with lots of snow on the ground and you want to cool your unrefrigerated beer more quickly, do not cover your beer in snow. The air is colder.
Speaking of snow, are you getting any? My son in Lawrenceville has all afternoon.

Ok just a little life hack. Take a paper cup and fill it with water, freeze it and then place a quarter on top and put it back in the freezer. If the power goes out and the quarter sinks to the bottom of the cup the food in the freezer has thawed if it's still on top good to go. It also works if you're away from home for a vacation or something.

Last edited:
You are clearly a southerner...

Edit to add: When it is really cold (decently below 32) with lots of snow on the ground and you want to cool your unrefrigerated beer more quickly, do not cover your beer in snow. The air is colder.
No, the direct contact with the snow would cool it faster. Now, for a sustained chill you can leave it in the air. Just because you married a Minnesotan doesn’t mean you know all of our Northerner secrets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT