ADVERTISEMENT

Perkins

He is really playing well tonight at point. It had me wondering, would he consider staying and playing another year for his Covid year? Seems like he would be a good candidate as probably not a big pro prospect but a really good college player.

He said at the start of the year he wasn't 100% sure he would be done with college but done at Iowa.

He said at the start of the year he wasn't 100% sure he would be done with college but done at Iowa.
Don't believe that's the quote. Just a generic "yeah I plan on this being my last year."

FWIW, he had opportunities to leave last off-season and he stuck with his guy Fran. I gotta imagine that if it's a Euro-League deal vs playing another year at college, Iowa will get a fair look. At least that's my hope.

I’m not gonna look back but someone was complaining he wasn’t playing defense in the game thread. 🙄🙄🙄

Don't believe that's the quote. Just a generic "yeah I plan on this being my last year."

FWIW, he had opportunities to leave last off-season and he stuck with his guy Fran. I gotta imagine that if it's a Euro-League deal vs playing another year at college, Iowa will get a fair look. At least that's my hope.

Really? I swear that was something from both he and Patrick. I remember being kind of bummed after seeing it. I'll see if I can find it but I am also tired so we will see how far I get.

Really? I swear that was something from both he and Patrick. I remember being kind of bummed after seeing it. I'll see if I can find it but I am also tired so we will see how far I get.
He definitely did not say that he wasn't sure that he was done with college but was for sure done with Iowa. If anything, his statements in the offseason were leaning on this being his last year in college, which if so, all the power to him. I just hope that the Swarm is able to offer him something that makes him second guess a Euro-League deal. Perkins and his family love Fran, so I have a hard time envisioning him on another college basketball team as long as Fran is the HC. He didn't even entertain the teams that were trying to tamper with him last spring.

I didn’t think it was that definitive. If this team comes together this year, with everyone else but Krikke coming back they could be pretty good next year. I’d love to see him come back and I’d think they could put together a pretty nice NIL deal for him. He’s not really a candidate for the NBA.

He is really playing well tonight at point. It had me wondering, would he consider staying and playing another year for his Covid year? Seems like he would be a good candidate as probably not a big pro prospect but a really good college player.

Before the season started, both Tony and PMac said that they planned on this being their last season at Iowa.

From Media Day (David is the beat writer for 24/7):

He definitely did not say that he wasn't sure that he was done with college but was for sure done with Iowa. If anything, his statements in the offseason were leaning on this being his last year in college, which if so, all the power to him. I just hope that the Swarm is able to offer him something that makes him second guess a Euro-League deal. Perkins and his family love Fran, so I have a hard time envisioning him on another college basketball team as long as Fran is the HC. He didn't even entertain the teams that were trying to tamper with him last spring.

I saw what Fran posted above. That is what I remembered seeing.

I may have misinterpreted that returning was meaning coming back to college ball but not Iowa.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
I hope so ! Tony does so many things well, damm good player.

Reactions: Torg and iahawks10
Somebody bump this thread the next time Tony has one of his off nights.
He's arguably the most talented player on this team with enough tools to be all-B1G. He's had great games, including last night's incredible assist performance.
He's also had a fair number of nights that he's disappeared. It's what's kept him from reaching that top tier of players in the league.
I hope to see more of what he brought last night. He is certainly capable. I'm also not going to be surprised when he's a non factor.

Somebody bump this thread the next time Tony has one of his off nights.
He's arguably the most talented player on this team with enough tools to be all-B1G. He's had great games, including last night's incredible assist performance.
He's also had a fair number of nights that he's disappeared. It's what's kept him from reaching that top tier of players in the league.
I hope to see more of what he brought last night. He is certainly capable. I'm also not going to be surprised when he's a non factor.
I think he just needs the ball in his hands more like last night. I believe earlier in the year he would have Dix or Bowen take point more often. Now it seems to be Perkins at point primarily, unless Harding is in. It seems to be working.

I think he just needs the ball in his hands more like last night. I believe earlier in the year he would have Dix or Bowen take point more often. Now it seems to be Perkins at point primarily, unless Harding is in. It seems to be working.

That's pretty much what Fran said in the postgame on BTN. He told Tony, the ball will be in your hands. Folks may not think he is a PG, but that is what the coach wants.

This isn’t football. We need to stop keeping these people and stunting the growth of players behind them.
At this point Iowa is a small fish in a big pool. My greatest fear is someone throwing a bunch of money at Owen. I’m not worried about some average team but a blue blood.

I hope so ! Tony does so many things well, damm good player.

Iowa is a much better team when Perkins plays well. Been that way for a couple of seasons now.

I’ve said Iowa goes how Perkins goes and that’s even more true now after the Murray Brothers are both gone.

Reactions: amahawk
I didn’t think it was that definitive. If this team comes together this year, with everyone else but Krikke coming back they could be pretty good next year. I’d love to see him come back and I’d think they could put together a pretty nice NIL deal for him. He’s not really a candidate for the NBA.
Does Lrikke have another year of eligibility?

Dam impressive night for Perk, and if his shot was going in it would have been legendary.

This isn’t football. We need to stop keeping these people and stunting the growth of players behind them.
At this point Iowa is a small fish in a big pool. My greatest fear is someone throwing a bunch of money at Owen. I’m not worried about some average team but a blue blood.
Tony could get decent money for a one year stint on a team that has a chance in the tourney to do more than just make the field. I'd like him to stay for his last year, but could not argue that it would be a good move for him to get better pay on a team that has a chance to do something in the NCAAs during his final season of college ball.
Agree that Owen would be the bigger loss as he is a primary post player who could fill that role for at least 2 more seasons.

Tony could get decent money for a one year stint on a team that has a chance in the tourney to do more than just make the field. I'd like him to stay for his last year, but could not argue that it would be a good move for him to get better pay on a team that has a chance to do something in the NCAAs during his final season of college ball.
Agree that Owen would be the bigger loss as he is a primary post player who could fill that role for at least 2 more seasons.
Well losing Freeman would be a killer. But after Perkins there isn’t a tough as nails guard on the roster. Isu seems to have 2 to 3 of those every year. Iowa could use a couple.

Reactions: amahawk and littlez
We have GOT to convince him to come back. He’s playing like a lion right now and he will be in demand in the portal.
I heard you have $87 to donate to Tony's NIL. Getting Tony back for another year might mean we could contend
for a B1G title next year.

I think he stays Fran wanted him when no one else did that means alot to someone with the character Tony has
Tony's uncle is somewhat regularly on "From the Hawkeye of the Storm" postgame shows on Youtube and seems to be friends with the host. That same host said in the Michigan postgame that he has a feeling that Tony will be coming back next year. No idea if he was just speculating or if Tony's uncle said something that caught his attention, but I found it interesting. Frank (the uncle) was Tony's AAU coach and is very close with Tony--he even traveled to the UM game last weekend, so if anyone were to know which was TP was leaning, it'd likely be him.

Reactions: unclesammy
If Tony returns next year, and I'm certainly not against it, it could hinder the development of players like Dix, and Bowen to get more playing time. Some on here are already grousing that Bowen may transfer after this season because he's not getting the playing time he expected being a sophomore. I'm hoping that Bowen is not so thin skinned and leaves just because he's not getting the playing time he wants. Bowen has skills, but he's struggling like most of the young guards to shoot the rock and only time and hard work will improve his shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT