ADVERTISEMENT

Pete Moe (was a 2022 PF) is Reclassifying to 2023

Fran's antics at the pentagon were over the top. T 3 minutes into the game and stared at the official for another 5 minutes. Coach the team on handling a pick and roll rather than making a spectacle.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Fran's antics at the pentagon were over the top. T 3 minutes into the game and stared at the official for another 5 minutes. Coach the team on handling a pick and roll rather than making a spectacle.
got it, you are just being sarcastic…can’t really find that as an issue. btw, it’s our transplanted center who has a major problem with the high screen.

You realize him getting that T forced the officials to change the way they were calling the game, right? They (Utah State) were called for 2 flops later on in the game after Joe T got called for a charge on an obvious flop.

He accomplished exactly what he wanted with that demonstration. He got the officials to stop calling a charge on an intentional flop that was already creating a problem for his team. He was very effective in his effort.

The latest on Pete Moe, from HawkCentral:

What's the latest in the recruitment of Iowa City West 2022 PF Pete Moe?​

Iowa City West’s Pete Moe is one of the top high school players in the state — No. 11 in the Des Moines Register’s top 50 — and has been for a couple seasons. So, it might come as a bit of a surprise that he’s stilled unsigned, even with his senior high school season complete and AAU basketball underway.

That doesn’t mean the 6-foot-9 power forward doesn’t have options. Moe, the son of former Hawkeye Jeff Moe, holds an offer from Robert Morris at the moment, and he told me that Oral Roberts, Tarleton State and Incarnate Word have all shown interest.

There’s also the possibility that Moe takes a post-grad year. He’s already in touch with some prep schools, including DME Sports Academy (Florida), SPIRE Institute (Ohio), Brewster Academy (New Hampshire) and The Skills Factory (Georgia). DME is where Keegan and Kris Murray played their post-grad year before signing with Iowa.

Regardless of whether he takes a post-grad year or goes with Robert Morris, which Moe says are the only options he’s considering right now, he just wants a program that helps him improve as a player, sets him up for a professional career and has coaches who believe in him. As for when to expect a decision, Moe plans to announce in May.

“I visit those prep schools in May to see which ones I like," Moe told me. "I visited Robert Morris and I loved it and the coaches are great people. I’m also thinking about doing a post-grad year, too, because it gives me another year to work on my game and get better so I can play in college.”

With a decision looming, Moe’s also focusing on AAU basketball. He's playing on the adidas 3SSB circuit with Team Rose's 17U squad this spring to get a few final chances for exposure before decision times rolls around. - Alyssa Hertel

The full Story:

Iowa City West’s Pete Moe is one of the top high school players in the state — No. 11 in the Des Moines Register’s top 50 — and has been for a couple seasons. So, it might come as a bit of a surprise that he’s stilled unsigned, even with his senior high school season complete and AAU basketball underway.

That doesn’t mean the 6-foot-9 power forward doesn’t have options. Moe, the son of former Hawkeye Jeff Moe, holds an offer from Robert Morris at the moment, and he told me that Oral Roberts, Tarleton State and Incarnate Word have all shown interest.

There’s also the possibility that Moe takes a post-grad year. He’s already in touch with some prep schools, including DME Sports Academy (Florida), SPIRE Institute (Ohio), Brewster Academy (New Hampshire) and The Skills Factory (Georgia). DME is where Keegan and Kris Murray played their post-grad year before signing with Iowa.

Regardless of whether he takes a post-grad year or goes with Robert Morris, which Moe says are the only options he’s considering right now, he just wants a program that helps him improve as a player, sets him up for a professional career and has coaches who believe in him. As for when to expect a decision, Moe plans to announce in May.

“I visit those prep schools in May to see which ones I like," Moe told me. "I visited Robert Morris and I loved it and the coaches are great people. I’m also thinking about doing a post-grad year, too, because it gives me another year to work on my game and get better so I can play in college.”

With a decision looming, Moe’s also focusing on AAU basketball. He's playing on the adidas 3SSB circuit with Team Rose's 17U squad this spring to get a few final chances for exposure before decision times rolls around. - Alyssa Hertel

The full Story:

Not exactly a rogue's gallery of schools pursuing this legacy player. A year in an academy likely would help.

The full Story:

I’m not impressed with him tbh, he is like 1/10th the player Owen freeman is a year younger and already committed. His character is questionable word on the street is. That’s the first thing Fran looks at when he recruits, his words. Maybe a PWO after a year at a prep school but he doesn’t even look like he could compete in the MVC for minutes with his skill set at his size.

The Fran Fan Boy Club seems to think Iowa made the Final 4 this past season vs. getting bounced by a bad Richmond team who lost by 28 to Providence. Fran had a two-time NPOY with Garza and then Keegan who should have been NPOY and will be a lottery pick. Results = 0 Sweet 16 appearances, but Fran is this amazing coach who is so underrated?

What wins in March? Guards and defense. What has Fran not been able to recruit or coach in 12 years? Guards and defense. Keegan's phenomenal play had a huge impact on the season, but so did the enhanced athleticism; most notably from Perkins and Kris. Perkins, IMO, was the biggest factor down the stretch because of his ability to defend, drive, kick and score off the bounce. One would think Fran would like to keep the athleticism meter at or above last year, but what I am seeing on the recruiting front is underwhelming.

The Fran Fan Boy Club seems to think Iowa made the Final 4 this past season vs. getting bounced by a bad Richmond team who lost by 28 to Providence. Fran had a two-time NPOY with Garza and then Keegan who should have been NPOY and will be a lottery pick. Results = 0 Sweet 16 appearances, but Fran is this amazing coach who is so underrated?

What wins in March? Guards and defense. What has Fran not been able to recruit or coach in 12 years? Guards and defense. Keegan's phenomenal play had a huge impact on the season, but so did the enhanced athleticism; most notably from Perkins and Kris. Perkins, IMO, was the biggest factor down the stretch because of his ability to defend, drive, kick and score off the bounce. One would think Fran would like to keep the athleticism meter at or above last year, but what I am seeing on the recruiting front is underwhelming.
Dasonte and Josh Dix are both pretty athletic. JQ Roberts who we have offered for 2023 a 6’7” wing is very athletic. As are TJ Power, Gavin Griffiths, Taylor Bowen and Reid Ducharme. They all play at Brewster I’m pretty sure, where Bowen is graduating from. They all have an early Iowa offer and a couple have visited but regardless we are in contact. Not to mention Owen Freeman is now a 4 star and yes he’s a post player, but he moves very well for a 4/5, puts it on the floor, runs the floor and gets a lot of points in transition blocks a lot of shots, and can shoot 3’s. The guys we are looking at in the portal are a necessity, we need a 5. We have, like you said, some increased athleticism in the back court and already adding to that with our incoming guys and am pretty sure we are looking at a couple of immediate impact guys. Both Aimaq and Turnbull are bigs who defend at a high level and are good athletes.

Reactions: perryhawk
Dasonte and Josh Dix are both pretty athletic. JQ Roberts who we have offered for 2023 a 6’7” wing is very athletic. As are TJ Power, Gavin Griffiths, Taylor Bowen and Reid Ducharme. They all play at Brewster I’m pretty sure, where Bowen is graduating from. They all have an early Iowa offer and a couple have visited but regardless we are in contact. Not to mention Owen Freeman is now a 4 star and yes he’s a post player, but he moves very well for a 4/5, puts it on the floor, runs the floor and gets a lot of points in transition blocks a lot of shots, and can shoot 3’s. The guys we are looking at in the portal are a necessity, we need a 5. We have, like you said, some increased athleticism in the back court and already adding to that with our incoming guys and am pretty sure we are looking at a couple of immediate impact guys. Both Aimaq and Turnbull are bigs who defend at a high level and are good athletes.
We need guards who can defend. After watching the entire tourney, that is painfully obvious. The Big Ten is not a good basketball conference.

He plays with Fran's kid and Fran won't touch him. Watch him live and you will see - he is a HUGE douche on the court with his antics and attitude. There is a reason that he has no decent offers.
A good friend of mine is a teacher and has Moe in his class. From what he has shared with me, you are likely spot on.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
He plays with Fran's kid and Fran won't touch him. Watch him live and you will see - he is a HUGE douche on the court with his antics and attitude. There is a reason that he has no decent offers.

A good friend of mine is a teacher and has Moe in his class. From what he has shared with me, you are likely spot on.

Yikes.

This reminds me of Kirk Ferentz and his staff going to a prospect's high school and talking to people there, including the high school janitor, to see how the high school prospect treats people.

We need guards who can defend. After watching the entire tourney, that is painfully obvious. The Big Ten is not a good basketball conference.
I wouldn’t say the Big Ten is bad, as much as I would say it’s overrated. Hand checking isn’t a thing, nor is freedom of movement. charges, majority of the time, are ridiculous, and wildly inconsistent. We need to play BETTER D, and adapt to the way the games being called whether is fair/pretty or just plain bad… defensively it’s just not cutting it. We (the big ten) could all afford to play better defense, but there’s a definitive line between playing good D, and getting away with tackle football on the court like the majority of the big 12.

This. While having 3 lottery picks playing, Keegan, Ivey, Davis, Liddell also a 1st rounder and Kofi the conference way underachieved in the Big dance. I think there is a lot to what you say about guards who can defend. While there's multiple ways to win in the tourney, you need guys that in the end can just create for themselves and also make plays on the defensive end. The Oregon game last year was just an athletic mismatch, and then our guard court got exposed again this year in the Richmond game as Gilyard was clearly the best player on the floor.

Actually it is a good conference.....the NCAA tournament results were very disappointing and slightly below their seeds. The pre=conference results against the ACC and the Big East were pretty good.

Except Fran did throw quite a fit at OSU after CMAC got a technical and said the M'efer refs stole the game when in reality his team didn't play defense and got torchd by opponents wide open 3pt looks. Fran got suspended on after that game...I'm not aware of many B1G coaches getting suspended. Fran has had a couple relatively calm years, probably now in his contract to behave better.

Fran has qualities, sometimes losing contorl and throwing a chair or calling a ref a m'efer is not a good look and way to win friends and influence refs...in the end if you are winner you get the whistle like Bo Ryan or Izzo without throwing chairs.
I I recall Fran picking up a chair and banging it on the floor, think at MSU. When did he throw one?

Who were the conferences who had 9 or more members invited to the ncaa tournament? Purdue, Illinois and Iowa vastly underperformed in the tourney, no doubt about that. But I don't think that informs us of the strength of the conference.

Reactions: jthawk
Another thread gone to heck because of some posters' need to bitch about unrelated topics.

Regarding Moe, I think that ship has sailed.
8c1.gif

Who were the conferences who had 9 or more members invited to the ncaa tournament? Purdue, Illinois and Iowa vastly underperformed in the tourney, no doubt about that. But I don't think that informs us of the strength of the conference.
Disagree about Illinois. Illinois underperformed the year before, not this year. Lost as a 4 seed to 5 seed Houston who was favored in the game and a better team on the court.

Illinois had the most games missed by rotation players this year in the country and still won the Big Ten. Would loved to have done better in the tourney, but a great coaching job by Underwood this year overall.

The B1G is a very good conference top to bottom. But I do think they are overrated in the polls during the season and come tourney time. It's surprising to me that the B1G doesn't seem to do very well in the Dance.

I'm not going to "blame" the ball, because lots of teams have to deal with it as well, but it does piss me off.

It should be simple - if you are in the NCAA, you play with THIS ball (whatever it is). I don't know how much money Wilson pays to use their ball in the tourney, but does the NCAA really need it?

ADVERTISEMENT