ADVERTISEMENT

Physical therapy school

Nice.

I can see her being a surgeon so who knows how much schooling that will take. She really enjoys cardiology, specifically EP.

I'm not an expert on the process but she applied for like 30 some schools.

Received secondaries on almost all of them which she will start working on next week. Currently traveling right now. SMH

Loser Nebraska for some reason never got back to her. Won't lose any sleep over that one. :)
Almost every school will ask for a secondary (along with another $100-at least that's what is typically was 15 years ago). I kept a word doc with my stock paragraph answers to the common questions that always came up on the secondary applications. Did the same for the typical interview questions and reviewed them before interviews. The real cost next is the travel and hotels for the interviews.

And if she does get in...the residency (and fellowship if she pursues cardiology and then EP) application and interview process is just as, if not more, expensive.

I've heard my daughter talk about it. LOL

I'll have to see how she scored in it.
I remember the average on the final was around 45-50%. I got like 63% so did ok with the curve. They made it ridiculously hard, honestly I think because it is the final "weed out" class for pre-health science students.

Almost every school will ask for a secondary (along with another $100-at least that's what is typically was 15 years ago).

Yeah it seems like a big money grab.

She took a loan out just for applications. I think it was around $8k.

Luckily she pretty much had an academic free ride so she's just starting to take on debt.

Yeah it seems like a big money grab.

She took a loan out just for applications. I think it was around $8k.

Luckily she pretty much had an academic free ride so she's just starting to take on debt.
I did, too. $3K at the time and I only applied to like 10-15 schools. I couldn't afford to fly anywhere so I stuck with places that were drivable. Did the same with residency.

I think anything is on the table right now...
I know there’s a national test for it afterwards but there’s quite a lot you can do with it. Businesses will hire people who have it as part of their be healthy initiatives within their company. My daughter was going that route but she ended up getting a job coordinating campus activities at a juco because of her experience helping in that department at her college.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I did, too. $3K at the time and I only applied to like 10-15 schools. I couldn't afford to fly anywhere so I stuck with places that were drivable. Did the same with residency.

My daughter was doing her Med school interviews during covid so a majority of them for her were virtual,.. Good with less travel, but bad with less personal contact... Residency interviews for the most part were more normal.

To answer OPs question-i would recommend the BS in human physiology or BS in exercise science pathway. I did the former (back when it was called Integrative Physiology). You have to apply to the major, but it's geared towards students that want to become doctors, PT, OT, PA, a few pre-dental kids as well. The latter would be a decent major for PT, but may offer more opportunities given his interests in health and fitness.

I HIGHLY recommend he shadow a PT for a couple days. Ideally outpatient and inpatient, as they're two completely different animals. It's a pretty easy way to see if he'd like it. I used to think I wanted to do ortho surgery, until I shadowed one of Iowa's team docs for awhile. All it took was 1 day observing surgery to know it wasn't for me.

Last edited:
Regarding undergrad...

For medical school entry, I'm noticing that undergrad majors don't seem to need to be quite as path specific as they used to be,.. In fact a lot of them tend to search out non-traditional applicants as a way of creating a more diverse student class.
Medical school, these days, is considerably easier to get in. Iowa as well. I have had good success with people who have worked for me/are still working with me.

Reactions: Rifler
My daughter was doing her Med school interviews during covid so a majority of them for her were virtual,.. Good with less travel, but bad with less personal contact... Residency interviews for the most part were more normal.
Yeah, I think virtual interviews were very helpful in the cost regard, but you really don't get a feel for the school and town without personally seeing it IMO. I actually turned down one school solely based on the campus and how the culture was.

I think the on site is even more important for residency, where you're interviewing them almost as much as they're interviewing you. When you're spending 80 hours (or more) at a place for 3-7 years, you need to know you enjoy the culture and setting. Otherwise it's miserable.

Medical school, these days, is considerably easier to get in. Iowa as well. I have had good success with people who have worked for me/are still working with me.
The first part isn't true at all. The number of applicants increases every year faster than the number of new spots open. The same is true for residency spots.

Wish you would have been my PI. I didn't even ask for a letter from her because I never heard her mention a kind word about anyone or anything. Was pretty happy leaving that lab. But I did meet a good friend there and we're still very close 18 years later.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarindaA's
The first part isn't true at all. The number of applicants increases every year faster than the number of new spots open. The same is true for residency spots.

Wish you would have been my PI. I didn't even ask for a letter from her because I never heard her mention a kind word about anyone or anything. Was pretty happy leaving that lab. But I did meet a good friend there and we're still very close 18 years later.
We're 5 for 5 with 3 mstp. I don't know diddly squat about residency but I do sit on a medical school admissions committee. The number of applicants that have merit to get in has stabilized. You might have a point as to the number of applicants who apply, but at the end of the day, many who apply shouldn't.

We're 5 for 5 with 3 mstp. I don't know diddly squat about residency but I do sit on a medical school admissions committee. The number of applicants that have merit to get in has stabilized. You might have a point as to the number of applicants who apply, but at the end of the day, many who apply shouldn't.
My last PI (who was MD/PhD) convinced me not to go that route. Said if you want to do research, you can do that with just a medical degree. And frankly I didn't love research anyway.

My brother was one of the student interviewers when he was in school, he said one time they were forced to interview some girl with a sub 3 GPA and an MCAT of 21 (old scoring system-but that's a but below average) because her dad was a donor. It's silly they had to waste their time on it but mostly I felt bad for the girl. People continued to blow smoke up her backside and give her false hope for years rather than convince her to switch paths.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Daughter (no pic ya pervs) is in her final year of OT school at Creighton. Knew that (the career) was what she was aiming for since starting undergrad (Luther). Her undergrad major was a double (Psych/Health Sciences). Visited a few OT schools. Liked Creighton's the best. She's spending 3 months at University Hospitals in IC this summer, moves on to Denver this fall, and will be in Colorado Springs next spring. She's been loving her time at UIHC and has said she could see herself working there. Good luck to your son !
Oh eff it....here's a pic from the 4th doing some kayaking at Pleasant Creek.
DSCN8873.jpg

Last edited:
My last PI (who was MD/PhD) convinced me not to go that route. Said of you want to do research, you can do that with just a medical degree. And frankly I didn't love research anyway)

My brother was one of the student interviewers when he was in school, he said one time they were forced to interview some girl with a sub 3 GPA and an MCAT of 21 (old scoring system-but that's a but below average) because her dad was a donor. It's silly they had to waste their time on it but mostly I felt bad for the girl. People continued to blow smoke up her backside and give her false hope for years rather than convince her to switch paths.
Ahh you know, schools still take legacy applicants. Even Iowa. Pretty hard to dump an applicant when dad or mom are head of dept. It's been done but rare. You have to be a special type of screwball not to get in. And 21 on the old test is real real low.

Thank you to everyone chiming in - much appreciated. The candid information available here is what makes this place great, after the rank 'ems, wouldja's, and another teacher threads.

If we could just get rid of the political threads this place would be really great.

JMO

Ahh you know, schools still take legacy applicants. Even Iowa. Pretty hard to dump an applicant when dad or mom are head of dept. It's been done but rare. You have to be a special type of screwball not to get in. And 21 on the old test is real real low.

My biggest beef with Iowa was they held a full third of the spots for out of state students,I assume simply for the higher tuition rates. Always seemed criminal in a state as small as Iowa with a rural doctor shortage instead of trying to keep your young minds. The out of state students almost never stayed in Iowa. Other state schools in the Midwest were no where close to that number. IIRC, KU only had 5 out of 96 students from out of state that year.

And let's be real, no class is improved but having more kids from Naperville.

My biggest beef with Iowa was they held a full third of the spots for out of state students,I assume simply for the higher tuition rates. Always seemed criminal in a state as small as Iowa with a rural doctor shortage instead of trying to keep your young minds. The out of state students almost never stayed in Iowa. Other state schools in the Midwest were no where close to that number. IIRC, KU only had 5 out of 96 students from out of state that year.

And let's be real, no class is improved but having more kids from Naperville.
I agree with your out of state issue and I have raised that. Numerous times. Believe it or not, it isn't for higher tuition. Most of those jokers gets in state residency or tuition within a year. It happens in the Law and Dental colleges as well. The easiest ways to get that are by becoming a TA or RA. They then pay the same in state tuition. I've known plenty who have done just that. I think that is totally and repugnantly wrong. I don't disagree with you at all. It deprives in state Iowa students from a medical school seat in a state which has one MD dispensing school.
Fyi, it is isn't just Naperville. Iowa takes applicants from California, for which the Carver College of Medicine is a "safety."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT