ADVERTISEMENT

Pilot project in California will put solar panels over irrigation canals

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
It would apparently cut down on water lost to evaporation, and provide dual use for the space taken up by canals.
I recall a story I read a few weeks ago that China and India are looking at building floating solar farms on the lakes formed by hydroelectric plants. The space is there, and the power transmission facilities are already there.
https://apnews.com/article/solar-pa...ate-solution-c57cac43b71a0edf76e62c4adc0f3ff7

Yeah. This seems logical. Let me put my MAGA brain on though so I can figure out if the panels will be used to funnel child blood to the Hollywood elite and I need to go shoot them up with my AR.

It would apparently cut down on water lost to evaporation, and provide dual use for the space taken up by canals.
I recall a story I read a few weeks ago that China and India are looking at building floating solar farms on the lakes formed by hydroelectric plants. The space is there, and the power transmission facilities are already there.
https://apnews.com/article/solar-pa...ate-solution-c57cac43b71a0edf76e62c4adc0f3ff7
This type of collaboration is desperately needed. On the surface, it seems like a win-win. I do wonder how maintenance, tho likely fairly uncommon, on the canals may be impacted.

Reactions: sober_teacher

So…are we getting our ARs?

I've seen pictures (mainly in other countries) of solar panels over roadways and parking lots. Power, some protection from rain, and no intrusion into "regular" land use.

I have often wondered what crops would grow in the shade under solar panels. Use a bit of the power to run drip irrigation and grow some stuff.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I've seen pictures (mainly in other countries) of solar panels over roadways and parking lots. Power, some protection from rain, and no intrusion into "regular" land use.

I have often wondered what crops would grow in the shade under solar panels. Use a bit of the power to run drip irrigation and grow some stuff.

I've been to a couple of Army posts that had solar panels over parking lots. Seemed like a pretty no brainer idea when I saw them. Lights were mounted on the posts under the panels, so plenty of light at night.

Post #4 link is pretty good input. The canals are wider than I remember, so spanning them is a very different animal compared to typical installs. Other factors are mentioned as well.
Not likely to happen, but as far as who would pay for it, the end users of course.
Edited.

Last edited:
That article brings up some very real concerns that are good reasons to not put solar panels over the canals. However, they do not make it impossible, just challenging and expensive. As the climate continues to degrade the motivation to do something about it could change the equation and something could happen on it.

Yeah. This seems logical. Let me put my MAGA brain on though so I can figure out if the panels will be used to funnel child blood to the Hollywood elite and I need to go shoot them up with my AR.

You can't cover up the LA River, what about the fish!? < My guess on a response>

That article brings up some very real concerns that are good reasons to not put solar panels over the canals. However, they do not make it impossible, just challenging and expensive. As the climate continues to degrade the motivation to do something about it could change the equation and something could happen on it.
When it's a debated problem decades away it's easy to be dissuaded by costs and other problems.

When it's happening now and clearly getting more destructive, it's easier to "find" the money.

Question: If everybody is borrowing because no one wants to pay up front, who the eff is lending - and why are they lending?

I mean how high does the interest have to be - or what other collateral do you need - to lend trillions to countries who you have to know may never pay off their debts?

Three posts into a non-political thread and welcome politics!! 😂

I've been to a couple of Army posts that had solar panels over parking lots. Seemed like a pretty no brainer idea when I saw them. Lights were mounted on the posts under the panels, so plenty of light at night.
Our college has panels over one of the parking lots.

Reactions: SSG T
Try to enjoy life.

Every day bub…to its absolute fullest!

ntc-cheers.gif

Post #6 link is pretty good input. The canals are wider than I remember, so spanning them is a very different animal compared to typical installs. Other factors are mentioned as well.
Not likely to happen, but as far as who would pay for it, the end users of course.
Post # 4. Post #6 was a goof ball response to that link

Last edited:
Reactions: billanole
There are conversations in my area about a couple of large solar projects that will use the area under panels for grazing of sheep. We are talking about thousands of acres and thousands of sheep.

Reactions: lucas80
There are conversations in my area about a couple of large solar projects that will use the area under panels for grazing of sheep. We are talking about thousands of acres and thousands of sheep.
Big project in South Georgia you may be interested in…
Gary Black, Georgia's Agriculture Commissioner, says 700 sheep will live here and graze the grass to keep the panels in the sun.
"Helping get the sheep industry back underway and getting to partner with solar energy, I think it's a pretty good marriage to celebrate today," Black said.

Reactions: funksouljon
Google quite a few military installations around the US and they have large solar fields.

Google quite a few military installations around the US and they have large solar fields.
Sierra Nevada outside of Asheville shades some of the parking area with panels. Double use of the same acreage.

I was talking to my kids about getting a couple goats if we ended up getting enough property at the new house. So started searching goats. Now Im getting bombarded with before and after videos of goats / sheep clearing land. They are very impressive in their effectiveness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT