ADVERTISEMENT

Pit Bulls in Iowa? No problem!

ICWestfan

HR Legend
May 26, 2005
From Iowa Capital Dispatch, the Iowa House passed a bill 82-16 saying local governments can't pass "pit bull bans".

Good dogs those Pits

Local governments in Iowa would not be able to ban specific dog breeds such as pit bulls or Rottweilers under a bill passed Tuesday by the Iowa House.

House File 651 passed the House on a 82-16 vote. The bill targets cities and counties that prohibit certain dog breeds for the perception that they pose a higher risk of aggression. The bill’s floor manager Rep. Jacob Bossman, R-Sioux City, said the bill encourages local governments to “instead focus their ordinances on responsible dog ownership.”

According to a “Pit Bull Rights” website, 72 Iowa localities ban pit bulls, and several more restrict ownership or declare the dogs “dangerous” or “vicious” in their local ordinances based on breed. Other breeds such as Rottweilers, wolf-dog hybrids and Doberman pinchers are also banned or restricted in some Iowa cities and counties. The city of Fairfield labels pit bulls, Doberman pinchers, Rottweilers, German shepherds, Belgian Malinois, Siberian huskies, malamutes and dogs over 100 pounds as “dangerous animals.”

Lawmakers discussed prohibiting local dog breed bans in 2021, but the bill did not advance. In this year’s subcommittee meetings, animal rescue and care advocates spoke in support the bill, but local government officials said the legislation will prevent Iowa communities from making their own decisions on how to keep residents safe.

Bossman said 75% of veterinarians say breed-specific bans should not be in place. The American Veterinary Medical Association states breed bans are not an effective way to prevent dog bites and attacks, and the ordinances do not address the issues linked with higher aggression in dogs, including being unneutered or not properly trained or socialized.

“They state that the vast majority of negative occurrences are the result of how the dog is cared for,” Bossman said. “This bill will allow Iowans to responsibly own the dogs of their choice, live where they choose, and will instead focus ordinances on dogs that have problems rather than specific breeds.”

I was a professional dog trainer for 20 years. To assert that certain breeds (yes, Pitts, Rotts, Dobes, Spaniels, and Chows, e.g.) are not anymore inclined to destructive aggression than other breeds is to deny history, genetics, and facts. The assertion that “it all depends on how they are raised and trained” is just not the truth. It is a factor, but not always the determining one.

I'm actually pretty amazed how many normal people have them these days. But I suppose even well adjusted people feel bad when they see a hundred of them up for adoption because dirtballs let those things breed like Jack rabbits and animal control rounds up the abandoned litters like cattle. I work in rental property business and losers get these from other losers who never spay and neuter them and they just multiply over and over again. Its sad really how many people I deal with that can't take care of themselves without welfare but their pit bulls are endlessly having more puppies that ultimately end up at the shelter.

Really bothers me too that so many people can't tell the difference between pit bulls and other similar dogs. They muddle this argument because they can't even discern them from other dogs. Our dog is half lab, half American bulldog and she is far from looking looking like a pitbull besides the strong build and big head, yet we frequently get that pitbull stigma when we take her places. A dude freaked out on me at the dog park last summer yelling at me about his dog being attacked by a pitbull in the past and grabbed his dog and left. The picture is a stock photo off Google but it looks just like her.

bulldog-lab-mix.jpg

Reactions: Moral
Had no idea the Iowa Legislature was split 82/16 in favor of republicans. That's insane.
The GOP tells us that Democrats want to micromanage our lives with regulations, so any Democrats voting for it shouldn't be a surprise. We should, however, all be shocked with the Republicans abandoning their local control is best doctrine to vote for this.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Mason City had a local ban on pit bulls. Not sure of other towns in Iowa with similar measures. But, this sounds like a very specific law to eliminate those existing pit bull bans.
Doesn't seem like the kind of law 'small government' types should be pursuing.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT