ADVERTISEMENT

Capitol Notebook: Bill would make looting a crime in Iowa

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A bill creating a new crime of “looting” could soon become Iowa law, outlining new criminal and civil punishments for group theft.

House File 2598, passed by Senate lawmakers on Monday, would define looting as two or more people entering a home, place of business or vehicle and stealing or damaging property.

Looting would be a Class C felony — punishable by up to 10 years in prison — if the combined value of stolen property is more than $10,000, the person has previously been convicted of looting, or the looting is done with a dangerous weapon.

Looting property valued between $1,000 and $10,000 would carry a prison sentence between one and a half years and five years. If the property is between $300 and $1,000, the looting would be an aggravated misdemeanor and carry a prison sentence of up to two years.

The bill would also allow somebody whose business or property is directly or indirectly damaged by an act of looting to bring a civil action against a person who engaged in the looting.

The bill passed the Senate 42-6. The bill is now eligible to be signed into law by Gov. Kim Reynolds, a Republican.

Sen. Tony Bisignano, one of the six Democrats to vote against the bill, said he was concerned about the broad language allowing someone who is “indirectly” injured by looting to sue the offender.

Sen. Scott Webster, R-Bettendorf, the bill’s floor manager, said that although looting is rare in Iowa, lawmakers should be “proactive” and prepare to respond to organized theft.

“This is going to help our small business, our small retail, mom-and-pop, grandma and grandpa stores, to make sure that those particular cases have an avenue besides just shoplifting or retail theft,” Webster said.

Bill would increase trespassing penalties​

The penalties for trespassing while hunting would be increased under legislation approved by the Iowa Senate.

The various fines for trespassing while hunting would be increased from $260 to $500 for a first violation, from $645 to $1,000 for a second violation, and from $1,285 to $1,500 for all other violations.

When, during floor debate in the Senate, a Democratic senator questioned the need for the legislation, Sen. Tom Shipley, R-Nodaway, said trespassing is a serious issue in his district, and that current fines do not appear to be a sufficient deterrent.

With its passage out of the Senate on a 39-9 vote, House File 2310 — having previously passed the House — heads to Gov. Kim Reynolds for her consideration.

Public funding for church-managed programs​

Counties and townships would be allowed to devote money to religious organizations for public services under a bill approved by the Iowa Senate.

The bill would allow church-managed organizations to receive public money if it is for a project “that benefits the public and does not require any religious or secular services, educational programs, or participation requirements.” The bill’s supporters have said such services could include food pantries, homeless shelters and child care.

The bill, House File 2264, passed the Senate on a 38-10 vote, with four Democrats joining Republicans in support. The bill previously passed the House with even stronger bipartisan support, 93-2. It must return to that chamber for second approval because it was amended Monday by the Senate. From there, it would move to Gov. Kim Reynolds for her consideration.

Iowa AG joins brief in case seeking to overturn gun law​

Iowa Attorney General Brenna Bird joined a multistate coalition that weighed in support of a lawsuit seeking to overturn Illinois’s assault weapons ban.

The lawsuit was brought by a national gun rights group seeking to overturn gun restrictions Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker signed into law in 2023. The law bans the sale of AR-15s and other assault weapons as well as large magazines and other attachments.

A federal appeals court upheld Illinois’s law last year, arguing the assault weapons banned by the law are “militaristic” and more closely aligned with machine guns, allowing them to be regulated under the Second Amendment. The appeals court determined that “Arms” in the Second Amendment does not include weapons used primarily for military purposes.

The National Association for Gun Rights is appealing the decision to the U.S. Supreme Court.

In a court brief joined by Bird, the 27 Republican-led states argue that the appeals court decision was mistaken and lacks historical precedent. They argue that the Supreme Court’s past decisions show the law is unconstitutional.

“Illinois’s gun ban is an outright assault on Americans’ Second Amendment rights,” Bird said in a statement. “Every American has a fundamental right to protect themselves and their loved ones. My office is urging the U.S. Supreme Court to do the right thing and protect Americans’ constitutional rights.”

Yeah, I thought that was already illegal. I said this before but my favorite live shot watching the 2020 protests was in LA. A reporter was showing people looting a shoe store when basically an army of police came down the street and started making arrests. When the studio went back to the reporter 15 minutes later there was around 20 people on the curb in zip ties. It was hilarious that they got caught.

Isn't looting already a crime?

It is but the party of small government wanted to ensure they could crowd the prisons with people they don't agree with.

I love this from the bill's "floor manager".
Sen. Scott Webster, R-Bettendorf, the bill’s floor manager, said that although looting is rare in Iowa, lawmakers should be “proactive” and prepare to respond to organized theft.

Just like we should be ready in case any trans want to play a sport!!! Let's pass "what if" legislation!!!

Giant retail stores are pulling out of some of the largest metros in nation due to orgainized, smash and grab, theft, and you guys are going to bitch our low population state, that many retailers currently are not interested in, is doing things to protect business owners.

Its dumb we have to have laws like this.

It is but the party of small government wanted to ensure they could crowd the prisons with people they don't agree with.

I love this from the bill's "floor manager".

Just like we should be ready in case any trans want to play a sport!!! Let's pass "what if" legislation!!!
Speaking of being proactive, maybe the Iowa legislature could pass some legislation just in case, whether due to negligence or expediency, people someday befoul Iowa's waterways with pollutants.

Speaking of being proactive, maybe the Iowa legislature could pass some legislation just in case, whether due to negligence or expediency, people someday befoul Iowa's waterways with pollutants.
If the looters spent billions on lobbyists and political donations, this all could have been avoided!

Reactions: mthawkeyes
HOW ELSE ARE WE TO CAPTURE FLOATING BREAD??!?!?!!?

Star Trek Laughing GIF

The left seems deflated over this proposed bill. I guess if you want to riot, burn and loot then you better do it in a liberal state.

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Store/property owners, should have absolute, carte blanche impunity when "opening up" on these animals!

So we’re hate crimes. We must now capture the mood of the offender.
True, but hate crimes are committed because of a hatred toward a segment of the population not hate of a specific person. Theft and looting seem to me to have the same reasons and goals.

True, but hate crimes are committed because of a hatred toward a segment of the population not hate of a specific person. Theft and looting seem to me to have the same reasons and goals.
I may be reading it wrong but I think lootingnis more focused on people or groups of people organizing and over running a store where theft is generally one person.

I may be reading it wrong but I think lootingnis more focused on people or groups of people organizing and over running a store where theft is generally one person.
Okay, but what makes it a different crime from a group of people pulling off a bank robbery? They would have to be organized and over run a bank too, wouldn't they?

To me it doesn’t matter why somebody did something. They did something illegal. Punish them.

A white guy that kicks the shit out of another white guy should face the same punishment as a white guy that kicks the shit out of a black or asian. Guessing ‘hate’ is present in all ass kickings.

To me it doesn’t matter why somebody did something. They did something illegal. Punish them. Guessing ‘hate’ is present in all ass kickings.
I agree hate is a part in most ass kickings and killings, but I do think there is some value in attaching a higher sentence for a beating or killing that is purely based on the hatred of a certain segment of the population.

Harming someone because they are the first black, brown, gay, trans, Christian, Muslim, etc. you can find needs to be a different level of punishment in my opinion in an attempt to deter these kinds of crimes.

The left seems deflated over this proposed bill. I guess if you want to riot, burn and loot then you better do it in a liberal state.
Criminals should be punished. Unless they are political prisoners, or hostages of Joe Biden's DoJ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT