ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Are you in favor of ending the yearly Iowa vs Iowa State game?

Are you in favor of ending the yearly Iowa vs Iowa State game?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
You are “looking for facts,” yet claim they don’t exist, demand you, yourself, are right, and post no facts of your own.

I think you might have answered my question, in that you think Iowa would sell ND tickets for $125. Any idea how much higher than the next highest-ever ticket that would be?
There are NO FACTS on the subject and I have said this.

What is so hard to understand?

I SAID "no i dont believe itll cost iowa money...."
How does that translate to me stating it is fact?

This post from the troll sounds a lot more like someone trying to state "facts"
"You can “belive” what you like. Personally, I believe in math. Math tells me one less home game every two years will cost the athletic department money."

If someone wants to BELIEVE something else, that is perfectly fine with me. Just don't try to state it is anything other than opinion unless you have actual proof. Don't bring up math and then tell me 2>1 when you don't account for the million variables and then act like you're frickin einstein(not directed at you but the troll).

You know, just today I had a guy I know a little say, you’ve got garbage on your head, referencing an Iowa hat, and a kid at practice said “boo Hawkeyes” in reference to same hat.

I’d bet many of those hating this game get angry about those jabs, stew over them until they can get on HR football forum and complain some more.

As I’ve said before, that must suck to inherently feel that way. I laughed off both, good for them.

There are NO FACTS on the subject and I have said this.

What is so hard to understand?

I SAID "no i dont believe itll cost iowa money...."
How does that translate to me stating it is fact?

This post from the troll sounds a lot more like someone trying to state "facts"
"You can “belive” what you like. Personally, I believe in math. Math tells me one less home game every two years will cost the athletic department money."

If someone wants to BELIEVE something else, that is perfectly fine with me. Just don't try to state it is anything other than opinion unless you have actual proof. Don't bring up math and then tell me 2>1 when you don't account for the million variables and then act like you're frickin einstein(not directed at you but the troll).

Huh? I said you don’t post facts either, and then you post this, demanding you didn’t post facts? There aren’t a “million” variables, and determining rough estimates for income to the UI really isn’t that complicated and is published fairly frequently.

Huh? I said you don’t post facts either, and then you post this, demanding you didn’t post facts? There aren’t a “million” variables, and determining rough estimates for income to the UI really isn’t that complicated and is published fairly frequently.
I never stated it was a fact, asked the troll that did to show the "facts".

Why am I sitting here arguing with someone that doesn't even know what an exaggeration is?

I never stated it was a fact, asked the troll that did to show the "facts".

Why am I sitting here arguing with someone that doesn't even know what an exaggeration is?

Are you serious? I posted that you don’t post facts, why do you keep responding that you didn’t post facts? That’s exactly what I posted.

After Iowa and ISU quit playing each other in 1934 and then started the series back up in 1977 through state legislation, it's pretty much a done deal that they will continue to play each other until the cows come home. A lot of politics involved and even the national attention it's has gotten it's hard to see it stopping anytime soon. As long as both ISU and Iowa have very respectable teams, I can't see any reason to stop the series. Whether some Hawk fans want to admit it or not, it does draw a lot of interest within the state of Iowa. Like I said it's even drawing national interest especially when other big name college teams are playing really inferior teams while ISU-Iowa are playing each other.

For the love of God, there was NO STATE LEGISLATION mandating the series resume. There WERE elected officials who advocated for it but there was NO LAW requiring it to happen. Where does this myth come from?

WHY THE HELL DOES SOMEONE NEED TO POST FACTS TO POST AN OPINION?

ARE YOU REALLY THIS SLOW?

Are you broken? I’m not saying anything you apparently think I’m saying. Breathing exercises may help. Not surprised you fit the category of someone wanting to end the series.

Are you broken? I’m not saying anything you apparently think I’m saying. Breathing exercises may help. Not surprised you fit the category of someone wanting to end the series.
Wow you really are mentally challenged aren't you, my apologies.

Why don't you actually read the entire thread before starting to post your nonsense.......(hint maybe start with #49, you know my first post in here)

Good bye.

The publicity and national exposure is good, but most people outside of Iowa seriously think it's nothing but cornfields. So I don't get why the rest of the country is so captivated by it.

They aren't,... it's just media hype that's been dialed up a bit because they didn't have a more attractive game to offer....

I voted no. Has gained some national attention the last 10 years. Somehow this year was the only game on a secondary channel the last five years or so. Otherwise on ABC, Fax, or ESPN. The players on both sides enjoy it. It’s a short bus trip.

The wanting to vote yes in me feels that it benefits Iowa St more than Iowa and I do want to see Iowa play a big time program.

If the Iowa/ISU series wasn’t active, this would be like the water tower and the midfield Tigerhawk issues. Calm down people.

Cancel the series. It's a lose/lose game. Make the clowns even more irrelevant than they are now by canceling the series.

I was born in 1981. Up until my senior year of high school ('98-'99), I had never watched Iowa lose to Iowa State (I was 1 the last time Iowa State had beaten Iowa). That 1998 game was the greatest shock I had ever experienced watching a football game. We were literally like, "Is this even possible?"

Prior to 1998, it was Iowa State fans who wanted to end the series. Of course, those were the days before social media and rivals.com, so the only evidence is anecdotal. Still, many Iowa State fans I knew were tired of being a perennial joke and some actually thought if they could schedule a cupcake in place of Iowa it was possible they might get enough wins to make a bowl some season. Hawkeye fans, like me, loved the game because it was an automatic win, and it made scheduling tougher non-conference opponents less scary. (Yes, LC, I know Hayden bitched about the schedule when he first arrived. Still, several seasons after he took over, Iowa scheduled teams like Colorado, Oregon, Miami (FL), Tennessee, etc.)

To illustrate how different the rivalry was back in those days (the nineties), I remember being at an Iowa game (I believe they were getting blown out at home to Northwestern) in which Iowa State happened to be leading Nebraska at halftime. After the score was announced over the PA, there was a resounding gasp then loud cheers. (No, I don't believe it was because of Nebraska per se; I literally think Iowa fans were cheering on lovable little brother.) Something like that would not happen today (Iowa fans cheering on Iowa State potentially upsetting a blue blood), especially at a game Iowa was getting blown out in. Crazy.

Yes, even in those days, Iowa State fans collectively marched to the beat of the "F&#k the Hawks!" drum much like they do today, but there was a lot more civility back then, as Iowa State was literally viewed as "little brother," meaning they were looked upon with amusement instead of vitriol, and Iowa State fans...well, kinda knew their place.

Iowa vs. Iowa State in football is an actual rivalry today--something I didn't think was possible growing up. I do think the series needs to shift to a different format (e.g. two years home and home, two years off) so both schools have more flexibility scheduling, but to end the series now would be silly. Frankly, there are some Iowa fans who just need to get over the fact Iowa State has been reasonably competitive in this series, as going 5-12 vs. Iowa since 2003 is pretty darn good for them. :D

Conversely, Iowa State fans need to get over the fact this is the Hawkeye state and that the Clones will always play second fiddle here. Dumping the series won't change that. Sorry, Clone fans, it is what it is.
I think that this series started to become volatil when Jamie Pollard ordered the billboards around the State especially the one between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, about who was the Hawkeye State. That just fueled the animosity between the schools. Maybe just suspending the series for a couple years might be enough to get a better atmosphere, especially on game day.

I want to see them drop it, but not for any other reason than I want to see Iowa play different quality teams and I don't see them doing it with nine Big Ten games plus Iowa State. Teams like Notre Dame, Missouri, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma would be pretty fun and something we haven't seen every year.

There's also an argument to be made that Iowa should just put another G5 team on the schedule and make 3-0 more likely going into Big Ten play every year, but I don't think that's very fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT