ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Are you in favor of ending the yearly Iowa vs Iowa State game?

Are you in favor of ending the yearly Iowa vs Iowa State game?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
After Iowa and ISU quit playing each other in 1934 and then started the series back up in 1977 through state legislation, it's pretty much a done deal that they will continue to play each other until the cows come home. A lot of politics involved and even the national attention it's has gotten it's hard to see it stopping anytime soon. As long as both ISU and Iowa have very respectable teams, I can't see any reason to stop the series. Whether some Hawk fans want to admit it or not, it does draw a lot of interest within the state of Iowa. Like I said it's even drawing national interest especially when other big name college teams are playing really inferior teams while ISU-Iowa are playing each other.

You’re assuming Iowa State will sustain their brief success. That’s highly unlikely given their history.
True but an instate rival is never a bad matchup. And in the grand scheme of things... Iowa/ISU barely registers on the college football landscape. People want to think a loss to ISU can be crippling, but it is barely a blip on the bottom line, nationally. The game does more good than harm and so long as ISU is even “OK”, Iowa needs to keep them on the schedule

I will share my meaningless two cents:

IF either school truly cared about my opinion ... here is what I would do... The one and only thing I would do is make this a neutral site game (i.e. like the Red River shootout). Too many fans of the home team get a little too confident, cocky, obnoxious, mouthy, you name it ... when it's on their home turf ... Maybe play the game in Kansas City or Minneapolis (I know it takes away the home flavor of having it in the state of Iowa) and each team gets 20,000 tickets. I know Iowa/ISU would not want to give up a home date ... but I think the neutral site could help curtail some of the ugliness that can happen between fans.

Well here's the deal. This game matters to both teams and their fans and it matters a lot. It is a nail biting, nerve wracking rivalry that gives the state an extra heartbeat every year. Maybe it's a lose/lose for Iowa but it sure felt good to go into Ames and beat 'em.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
no but I am in favor of playing 11 p5 teams a year.
no i don't care how many teams do that....
no i dont belive itll cost iowa money....

I'll repeat what has been said a gazillion times.

For Hawk fans - if Iowa loses it's an embarrassment. For ISU fans if they lose - it's a shrug of the shoulders.

For Hawk fans when they win - we were supposed to. If ISU wins - they have an orga$$m.
I guess we should send a message to b1g and tell them we will not be playing rutgers every year in the near future :confused:

I now reside in Arizona, after living in Iowa for 69 years and being a Hawkeye fan since the Evy years. Saturday's edition of the Arizona Daily Star (Tucson's main newspaper) had the Iowa-Iowa State Game as the #1 must watch game of the day -- even though both ASU and UA had games with other Power 5 schools (Michigan State and Texas Tech). Today, several people I normally see could only talk about our game. The majority of them stayed tuned through both delays to watch the whole game. It means a lot to the players and obviously to the coaching staffs. As long as Campbell stays at ISU, they will be a force to be reckoned with. As more conferences increase the number of conference games teams play -- there are fewer and fewer choices to quality inter-sectional games.
That might explain why Fox Sports Arizona replayed the game yesterday.

no but I am in favor of playing 11 p5 teams a year.
no i don't care how many teams do that....
no i dont belive itll cost iowa money....

You can “belive” what you like. Personally, I believe in math. Math tells me one less home game every two years will cost the athletic department money.

If the red neck racist KKK member gun toting illiterates of Alabama can play Auburn every year, we can play play a bunch of pig manure sniffing small town zipper heads once a year. :confused:
All Iowa State has to do is get into the same conference with us, then we can play them every year.

Of course the demand is still there, and that poll is skewed by its intended audience. This is a site largely made to complain, drawing in those who complain about it. An actual poll of the state, IMO, would handily vote for keeping it. Everybody on here welcome to their opinion, of course, but bitching about this game and “subsidizing ISU” or wanting “another power 5” have become cliched copycat statements by many wanting to be in the cool-kids club. Which is why it’s those same two comments redundantly posted and always followed with “nothing to gain for Iowa, beating ISU means nothing,” as if beating any other non-ranked team matters. This game is and always will be watched far more than, say, a Pitt unbanked matchup specifically because of the rivalry, not in spite of it.

People watching the Apple Cup, like me, every year of the aughts was for the rivalry, as an example.
Agreed. Very rational post...speaks of reality.

You can “belive” what you like. Personally, I believe in math. Math tells me one less home game every two years will cost the athletic department money.
Cool, I believe in math too.

So show me the numbers. I have yet to see them from everyone who claims it'll cost money. Show me how playing north texas twice will make more than playing an ND type game once.

I'll be waiting...

Because all tickets are the same huh?

LMFAO

Get back to me when you get to 2nd grade math buddy.....

Good insult.

Let’s say ticket revenue is exactly the same (MTSU tickets are 65 and PSU tickets are 95, so they are not). But since you “belive” it, let’s just say it is true.

So that’s it, right? There is nothing else that goes into right? Parking is exactly the same. Concessions are exactly the same. Merchandise sales are exactly the same. Seat license revenue is exactly the same. Premium seating tickets do NOT vary from game to game as general seating does.

You are in over your head here. Just stop.

I voted no and never thought this would be a thing. As much as I detest the Cyclones, I do have some friends and family and others in the community that are fans and taking it away takes a lot of that fun away with it.

Good insult.

Let’s say ticket revenue is exactly the same (MTSU tickets are 65 and PSU tickets are 95, so they are not). But since you “belive” it, let’s just say it is true.

So that’s it, right? There is nothing else that goes into right? Parking is exactly the same. Concessions are exactly the same. Merchandise sales are exactly the same. Seat license revenue is exactly the same. Premium seating tickets do NOT vary from game to game as general seating does.

You are in over your head here. Just stop.
You are doing nothing but pulling numbers out your ass.
What makes you think an IA/ND tix would only be worth $95? We play PSU every year and haven't played ND in ages, but clearly fans won't see any added value in that game ay?
I am sure as hell a lot more likely to buy a "souvenir" at an Iowa ND game than a Iowa MTSU game (or PSU game). I can guarantee I'm not the only one. "Exactly the same"-SURE.
Do you think the same amount of people stay the entire game in a 30 point blowout vs a close game vs a big opponent?
As for "premium seating". Ask people paying $1k+ per tix if they mind paying an extra 5% or so to see IA/ND instead of IA/N tx. Let me know how many are ok with it and how many aren't. I'm sure all those corporate accounts would be stoked to handout IA/ND tix to their top employees/customers/etc. On this one part, you MIGHT be right but again show me some actual proof. Otherwise you're just speculating.
Do you not think it cost twice as much to host 2 games as it does 1?
I could go on but what is the point?

So, lets see these actual numbers. That's right they don't exist.....

Thanks for playing though.

Last edited:
I guess I would say yes, if it turns out the whole football team raped our marching band or something, but I haven't heard any more updates on that whole thing, so for now I'm going with a no.

I voted no and never thought this would be a thing. As much as I detest the Cyclones, I do have some friends and family and others in the community that are fans and taking it away takes a lot of that fun away with it.
But wouldn't it be fun listening to them tell you how afraid Iowa is of them and that's why we cancelled it? That would be fun for a few decades :)

tenor.gif

But wouldn't it be fun listening to them tell you how afraid Iowa is of them and that's why we cancelled it? That would be fun for a few decades :)
Nah, because where I live, it's mostly Hawkeye fans, and none of the ISU fans I know are the type of people to do that sort of thing. I can, however, see that sort of thing happening amongst the students where maturity is still maturing.

I would like to see a variety of P5 opponents in the non conference schedule.

If that can happen while keeping ISU...great. if not, then drop ISU.

their fans are insufferable before the game and obnoxious those rare instances where they get the W.

Sucks we have a bye this week because it would be nice to move on to the next game. Iowa State is just another opponent. no breath should be wasted until the week of the game and shouldn't be given another thought until game week next year

I used to hate it....when ISU was terrible and would still occasionally beat us. It was a lose lose for us, with no upside. Now, they have developed into a pretty good team or program. They've beaten some tough teams and look like they are going to be in the upper tier of the B12.

This new dynamic makes this a pretty decent game. IF they beat us, it will not be a bad loss (I hate losing to them worse than any other team-Nebraska a close second). When we beat them it is a good possibility that they will finish the year strong...which looks very good for the Hawks. So, I voted to keep it which felt like a strange thing to do.

Reactions: dadster
What makes you think an IA/ND tix would only be worth $95? We play PSU every year and haven't played ND in ages, but clearly fans won't see any added value in that game ay?
I am sure as hell a lot more likely to buy a "souvenir" at an Iowa ND game than a Iowa MTSU game (or PSU game). I can guarantee I'm not the only one. "Exactly the same"-SURE.
Do you think the same amount of people stay the entire game in a 30 point blowout vs a close game vs a big opponent?
As for "premium seating". Ask people paying $1k+ per tix if they mind paying an extra 5% or so to see IA/ND instead of IA/N tx. Let me know how many are ok with it and how many aren't. I'm sure all those corporate accounts would be stoked to handout IA/ND tix to their top employees/customers/etc. On this one part, you MIGHT be right but again show me some actual proof. Otherwise you're just speculating.

They do exist. They are the reason Iowa and every other P5 team who play 9 conference games only play one game as a home and home out side of conference. Again, you are out of your depth. It’s my fault for even responding so I will hit eject. I know you are dying for the last word, so have at it.

I would love to slide the Irish in there if possible. Keep State and play it at Soldier Field. Get rid of the South Central Middle Tennesse St A@M tech types.

I would love to slide the Irish in there if possible. Keep State and play it at Soldier Field. Get rid of the South Central Middle Tennesse St A@M tech types.
Can do a refresher game. Then Irish. Then NIU/or a champion team like that. Then State, at Soldier before the start of our conference play. That would be fun. Do that every year for awhile and the Hawkeyes will get top recruits interest.

Last edited:
They do exist. They are the reason Iowa and every other P5 team who play 9 conference games only play one game as a home and home out side of conference. Again, you are out of your depth. It’s my fault for even responding so I will hit eject. I know you are dying for the last word, so have at it.
Now why is it purdue is able to play 11 p5 teams plus go to nevada to play? Or play 11 p5 teams last year.
Are they not part of "every team" or are they just rolling in a lot more dough?
Once again, you're spewing out nonsense as "fact".
Thanks, glad I won't have to reply to anymore nonsense.

After Iowa and ISU quit playing each other in 1934 and then started the series back up in 1977 through state legislation, it's pretty much a done deal that they will continue to play each other until the cows come home. A lot of politics involved and even the national attention it's has gotten it's hard to see it stopping anytime soon. As long as both ISU and Iowa have very respectable teams, I can't see any reason to stop the series. Whether some Hawk fans want to admit it or not, it does draw a lot of interest within the state of Iowa. Like I said it's even drawing national interest especially when other big name college teams are playing really inferior teams while ISU-Iowa are playing each other.
The publicity and national exposure is good, but most people outside of Iowa seriously think it's nothing but cornfields. So I don't get why the rest of the country is so captivated by it.

i think i have finally narrowed down the isu position on playing iowa in parable form:

isu playing iowa and being affiliated with them in any way is like being married to a narcissistic psychopath. they hate that you are around but think you will be worthless without them. good riddance to the day isu never has to play iowa in any sport no matter the cost to isu; even annhiliation.

The publicity and national exposure is good, but most people outside of Iowa seriously think it's nothing but cornfields. So I don't get why the rest of the country is so captivated by it.

Am I to presume that if Iowa plays Pitt, people will take an Iowa geography and economics class?

Use your own imagination. How much are you thinking Iowa would charge for a ND home fane?

Well here's the deal. This game matters to both teams and their fans and it matters a lot. It is a nail biting, nerve wracking rivalry that gives the state an extra heartbeat every year. Maybe it's a lose/lose for Iowa but it sure felt good to go into Ames and beat 'em.

Bing pot!

Use your own imagination. How much are you thinking Iowa would charge for a ND home fane?
That is the thing, I'm looking for actual facts. People pretend to have them but really never do.

That said, I'd say double the price of any BS games seems pretty easy sellout imo. at $100 its a no doubt sellout imo and probably gonna sell out even if you push it up to 125+.

They aren't Iowa, so it doesn't mean much but UM had zero issues selling out ND as their highest price games(tied w/ OSU- unquestionably the biggest b1g game of the year and most nationally recognized). Half the price of their BS games.

At the time of the article they still had IA and even MSU tix available for MUCH less than the ND tix. AND unlike us they get to play their in state rivals in conf every year and regularly play exiciting OOC games. An OOC game like that isn't exactly new to them. It's a wetdream for many iowa fans though(more than enough of them to fill the stadium ;) )

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2019/07/three-michigan-football-home-games-already-sold-out.html

Anyone that wants to tell me that an ND/IA tix isn't worth at least double a north texas type tix, well....I'm just buying their story.

I think a lot more folks are gonna be willing to buy a souvenir to such a RARE hawkeye experience too. So, yeah half the games to sell crap but that one game will have a much higher demand. Hell they could make shirts just for the game and they'd sell a buttload.

That is the thing, I'm looking for actual facts. People pretend to have them but really never do.

That said, I'd say double the price of any BS games seems pretty easy sellout imo. at $100 its a no doubt sellout imo and probably gonna sell out even if you push it up to 125+.

They aren't Iowa, so it doesn't mean much but UM had zero issues selling out ND as their highest price games(tied w/ OSU- unquestionably the biggest b1g game of the year and most nationally recognized). Half the price of their BS games.

At the time of the article they still had IA and even MSU tix available for MUCH less than the ND tix. AND unlike us they get to play their in state rivals in conf every year and regularly play exiciting OOC games. An OOC game like that isn't exactly new to them. It's a wetdream for many iowa fans though(more than enough of them to fill the stadium ;) )

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2019/07/three-michigan-football-home-games-already-sold-out.html

Anyone that wants to tell me that an ND/IA tix isn't worth at least double a north texas type tix, well....I'm just buying their story.

I think a lot more folks are gonna be willing to buy a souvenir to such a RARE hawkeye experience too. So, yeah half the games to sell crap but that one game will have a much higher demand. Hell they could make shirts just for the game and they'd sell a buttload.

You are “looking for facts,” yet claim they don’t exist, demand you, yourself, are right, and post no facts of your own.

I think you might have answered my question, in that you think Iowa would sell ND tickets for $125. Any idea how much higher than the next highest-ever ticket that would be?

But, using that number on back-of-the-napkin math, day, 70,000 at $125 is $8.75M, two games at 60,000 at $65 is $7.2M. Now of course that ignores a second game for suites and concessions, etc, and local economy, which iirc was estimated around $1M/game, and it’s still “worth more” for two games, but if your point is that it is worth it, you likely have a lot of people agreeing with you. However, you seem to be advocating that a ND game would actually earn more money.

Last edited:
This debate has raged on for what seems like forever. The inescapable conclusion is this; we will be playing ISU every year until the end of time. Deal with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT