ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Best recruit for Iowa

so cal hawkfan

HR All-American
Jun 5, 2012
Whittier CA
As always with two weeks without wrestling, the board has turned to a lot of hypothetical recruitment talk. So here's the poll if we could have one HS recruit who would you pick?

What about EB?
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Vallholl:
What about EB?
wink.r191677.gif

I voted for Carter Happel. He may not be a "need" weight when all is said and done, but you need to lock down the best kids in-state, and he looks to be the real deal to me. Mark Hall might be next, just because the real good "big fella's" are hard to find.

If you would have had an ALL button, I would have hit that. I wouldn't want any of these guys to feel they weren't "wanted" at Iowa.

Pretty hard to pick just one. But I went with Hall. Debated between Lee, Happel & Hall and just went with Hall due to the weight needs. Happel is the best wrestler in the state and he is probably going to be a Hawk. Lots of teams will battle for Lee but only 2 really matter and I think we all know who the 2 teams are. Hall is going to be a tough one to figure out where he ends up. I think Nebraska, Iowa and Minni are the front runners now but and honestly I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does choose Iowa. But there is a chance...

I'm surprised half of the voters want someone besides Mark Hall. Consensus best high school wrestler -- as a junior. Fills a weight need, etc.

Since I don't follow the recruits as much as I should, I don't know the weights of 25/50 percent of those guys, so I default to Hall.

Mark Hall is a great recruit but I don't think we get him. I don't think Brands would be willing to give up the cabbage it would take to get him. In fact, I don't think any of the perennial contenders could afford to. It's like giving up two potential All Americans/Champs for what seems to be a sure thing.

IMO, there are only two full scholly guys on the list. If Brands's arm was twisted to give up one whole scholly, I think he would go with Spencer Lee. That said, getting either one would be huge.

A more correct list would be having combos: For example, would Iowa rather have a combo of Happel/Suriano over a Mark Hall. It's like choosing Borschel/McD over Metcalf as far as the money goes. I do think Iowa is gearing up for something big. We are graduating Bobby, Stache, Nick, Jeva, and Kelly and bringing in Kemmerer who is the only top 20 talent this year. That's a lot of money freed up. Somebody who is more educated on these matters can make a more substantial guess than I, but it seems there is a lot of smoke there.

Hall is a rare prodigy to whom Iowa should offer a full ride. I generally agree with our traditional stance of not offering full rides to anyone--it allows for more talent in the room, which allows for team breadth and depth, and it weeds out anyone who isn't 100% committed to being here. That said, for the past few years we've been good at developing guys who can place 8th-7th-6th-5th, with seldom more than 1 champ in any year--the last time we had multi champs was 2010, and that's the last time we won NCAAs. Right now we've got no one ranked in the top 2, and if we don't win NCAAs this year our lack of finalists will be the reason. I love having AAs, but champs win team titles. We need to re-think the no-full-ride policy, at least until we've won 4 titles in a row and can afford to play hard to get.

BTW, I love Happel, but with all due respect, there's a big difference between the 13th-ranked 138-pounder and the #1 ranked P4P.

I think if you can get a hammer like Hall you gotta take him. You can develop AAs. You have a much harder time developing Champions.

Originally posted by Stanley75:
I think if you can get a hammer like Hall you gotta take him. You can develop AAs. You have a much harder time developing Champions.
That's a really good post.

Originally posted by TarpHawk:
Hall is a rare prodigy to whom Iowa should offer a full ride. I generally agree with our traditional stance of not offering full rides to anyone--it allows for more talent in the room, which allows for team breadth and depth, and it weeds out anyone who isn't 100% committed to being here. That said, for the past few years we've been good at developing guys who can place 8th-7th-6th-5th, with seldom more than 1 champ in any year--the last time we had multi champs was 2010, and that's the last time we won NCAAs. Right now we've got no one ranked in the top 2, and if we don't win NCAAs this year our lack of finalists will be the reason. I love having AAs, but champs win team titles. We need to re-think the no-full-ride policy, at least until we've won 4 titles in a row and can afford to play hard to get.

BTW, I love Happel, but with all due respect, there's a big difference between the 13th-ranked 138-pounder and the #1 ranked P4P.
Best post in the history of the internet.

My question - where would Hall fit into the lineup? Granted, he might well be able to beat out the returning starters, but when he came in, wouldn't Meyer and Brooks still have a coupe of years lefty at 74 and 84? If it meant having him at the same weight as a returning AA, would it make more sense to invest in 2-3 guys at weights of more need? Same question about Lee, Suriano, Renteria and Mejia at 126 and 133.

This post was edited on 3/2 6:17 PM by 4everahawk

Originally posted by bawlmerhawk:

Best post in the history of the internet.
Well that ^^ might be a little strong...
3dgrin.r191677.gif
...but I do completely agree with Tarp. The reality is that you have to have 1-2 champs who are also bonus point scorers if you really want to have a solid chance at being #1. WTG Tarp!!

Originally posted by 4everahawk:
My question - where would Hall fit into the lineup? Granted, he might well be able to beat out the returning starters, but when he came in, wouldn't Meyer and Brooks still have a coupe of years lefty at 74 and 84? If it meant having him at the same weight as a returning AA, would it make more sense to invest in 2-3 guys at weights of more need? Same question about Lee, Suriano, Renteria and Mejia at 126 and 133.

Well next year I think Meyer and Brooks will be jrs. So perhaps when they are seniors Meyer goes to 184 and Brooks to 197 and Hall could step in at 174. Also that is if Buark does not redshirt next year.
Maybe Hall will still grow into a 184 then keep Meyer at 174 and Brooks to 197..Either way it would make a real good 3 somes and then either Stoll or Bradley at hwt interesting last 4 weights for sure ......can dream right

There are profound posts and then your post, showing intellectual penetration and emotional depth. I agree whole hardedly and applaud you, for posibly the best post in the history of the internet. LOL Seriously great post.

I agree that is favoritism. The guy writes a single line and I have never heard of him before and he gets a compliment. we have to be tougher and more selective about who we give compliments to on this board or pretty soon everyone will be posting. :)

I am not sure anyone deserves a full ride. I can see giving 3/4 of a ride or something like that to a super stud, but i think the full schools is not needed. The kid will go where he thinks he an be the most successful and where he fits in the best. I am not sure a full ride will sway him to a place that he does not feel is best for him.

On that same line of thought, a 20% or 33% schools may be perceived as an insult to him and push him away. This of course is coming form a guy who has no inside info and does not know anyone involved in the situation.

He would fit real nice. If he wanted to RS Brooks and Meyer would be gone and if he didn't both Brooks and Meyer are plenty big enough to bump up a weight and Hall is probably a 174 pounder. Meyer has a huge cut to make 174 and Sammy would be plenty big to go 197 (would probably welcome it) if he had an off season to prepare. As for the smaller guys we are sitting on a couple verbals from two very good sophomores. We don't know for sure on weight projections on some of these guys. Lee is a soph as well, Suriano is a class above as is Yates. T and T need to think things out here. Lee would likely be ready to go as a true fresh, hard to say on Renteria and Mejia. Lots of possibilities. Lee is obviously a stud you would want but so does everyone else.. I like Yates a lot as well and he would not cost as much and being a midwest kid from not far away less chance for homesickness issues. I'd be happy as hell with Hall, Yates, Renteria and Mejia. We have not had a true NJ kid work out since who knows when, may not apply with Suriano but I like Yates more. Austin O'Connor is a former teammate of Yates and is also very good and projects more like 141-157 I'd guess. I would hate to pass on going after Yates or Suriano in hopes of getting Lee and then not do it. Like i said, Renteria, Mejia, Yates and Hall would be awesome and I think we get one of the 3 lighter guys to 141 at least.

Originally posted by Azchief32:
Mark Hall is a great recruit but I don't think we get him. I don't think Brands would be willing to give up the cabbage it would take to get him. In fact, I don't think any of the perennial contenders could afford to.[/B] It's like giving up two potential All Americans/Champs for what seems to be a sure thing.

IMO, there are only two full scholly guys on the list. If Brands's arm was twisted to give up one whole scholly, I think he would go with Spencer Lee. That said, getting either one would be huge.

A more correct list would be having combos: For example, would Iowa rather have a combo of Happel/Suriano over a Mark Hall. It's like choosing Borschel/McD over Metcalf as far as the money goes. I do think Iowa is gearing up for something big. We are graduating Bobby, Stache, Nick, Jeva, and Kelly and bringing in Kemmerer who is the only top 20 talent this year. That's a lot of money freed up. Somebody who is more educated on these matters can make a more substantial guess than I, but it seems there is a lot of smoke there.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but the bolded part makes no sense to me.
I don't think any coach could afford to pass on a talent like Hall based on scholly money. If it became known that Hall wanted to go to Iowa but did not based on scholly money offered I would hope that the fan base would be up in arms.

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM:

Mark Hall is a great recruit but I don't think we get him. I don't think Brands would be willing to give up the cabbage it would take to get him. In fact, I don't think any of the perennial contenders could afford to.[/B] It's like giving up two potential All Americans/Champs for what seems to be a sure thing.

I don't think any coach could afford to pass on a talent like Hall based on scholly money. If it became known that Hall wanted to go to Iowa but did not based on scholly money offered I would hope that the fan base would be up in arms.
Have to agree with you Papabear either Hall or Lee are worth the full ride imo

Originally posted by MVPFAN:

He would fit real nice. If he wanted to RS Brooks and Meyer would be gone and if he didn't both Brooks and Meyer are plenty big enough to bump up a weight and Hall is probably a 174 pounder. Meyer has a huge cut to make 174 and Sammy would be plenty big to go 197 (would probably welcome it) if he had an off season to prepare. As for the smaller guys we are sitting on a couple verbals from two very good sophomores. We don't know for sure on weight projections on some of these guys. Lee is a soph as well, Suriano is a class above as is Yates. T and T need to think things out here. Lee would likely be ready to go as a true fresh, hard to say on Renteria and Mejia. Lots of possibilities. Lee is obviously a stud you would want but so does everyone else.. I like Yates a lot as well and he would not cost as much and being a midwest kid from not far away less chance for homesickness issues. I'd be happy as hell with Hall, Yates, Renteria and Mejia. We have not had a true NJ kid work out since who knows when, may not apply with Suriano but I like Yates more. Austin O'Connor is a former teammate of Yates and is also very good and projects more like 141-157 I'd guess. I would hate to pass on going after Yates or Suriano in hopes of getting Lee and then not do it. Like i said, Renteria, Mejia, Yates and Hall would be awesome and I think we get one of the 3 lighter guys to 141 at least.

I'm all for giving Hall or Lee a full ride because They're STUDS, but concerning the Meyer and Brooks bump(Assuming a no Hall redshirt). Would Books be effective at 197?

By all accounts, Brooks is not the tallest. My brother was his banker last year and stood eye to eye to him at 5'10"(I'm 6'0). He's not the biggest 184 pounder right now either.

But screw that thought. Hall would redshirt and Meyer and Brooks are National Champions as Seniors.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

PBS...not saying Hall isn't worth it, just saying that Brands doesn't have a history of going all out to get one guy. Truth is, nobody really knows how scholly money is allocated so how could we be up in arms? Metcalf is probably the best example...does anybody know for sure if Metcalf got a full ride? Like Tarp, I would be doing a happy dance if we picked up Hall or Lee but we don't have the $$$ like ASU did for the Valencias. ASU will be tough in the coming years with those two but they won't be champs unless kids would be willing to take less. Iowa seeks to put very good guys at each weight class with the goal being 10 AAs. We have high recruits at every weight class except 157 and maybe 197.

Sammy bumped from 182 to 195 for freestyle his Sr. year at Fargo and won easily. By how he looks and the fact he has gassed a bit a couple times this year I would guess he cuts a good amount to make 184. I don't thnik it would take him long at all to be over 200 if he stopped cutting. Yes he would be kind of short at 197 but he has the movement and strength to where I would not be worried at all about him at that weight.

Originally posted by lookleft goright:
I agree that is favoritism. The guy writes a single line and I have never heard of him before and he gets a compliment. we have to be tougher and more selective about who we give compliments to on this board or pretty soon everyone will be posting. :)
Kemo Sabe, "Who was that masked man?" Then it was explained, "Oh, he's the Lone Ranger"
wink.r191677.gif

The truly great wrestlers come around so few and far between. I would think you have no choice but to try and get them. Look what Penn state did with 2 of them.

If he really loves Iowa, why can't we talk him into taking less money for the good of the team. Look what Kobe Bryant has done to the Lakers. I know, this is a terrible example:)

Exactly right Tarp. If a superstar comes along, he should be offered a full ride.

I don't know what the coaching decisions are on these things, it just kind of falls into the rumor category. I would be surprised if Metcalf didn't get a full scholarship. Guys like that... a Taylor or Ruth... can add a lot of points in March, and for many years.

Just like Tarp's, this one is spot on as well. Hall or Lee would each
Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM:

be worth full scholarships imho.

Lee. I realize all the love fest for Hall right now and its warranted but these 2 are easily the top P4P guys. My only thing is as great as both can be i do think Lee being 125 or 133 will have less pirahanas to deal with than 165/174/184. Not really putting down the lightweights as much as Hall will have to deal with the likes of BoJo, Nickal, Valancia etc down the road. Which also leads me to beleive he would benefit from a redshirt. THose guys are no jokes. Likewise Ive seen enough of Lee to see him not redshirt and be a fianlist or champ. As great as Hall is I just cant say that.

Could be wrong but Lee can give more points immediatly and as well over his 4 years. Now if you want to debate 174 being a bigger need than 125/133 with what we have coming in. You would have a valid point.

At the end of the day, IMO Spencer Lee is the man. Plus getting him means PSU aint. Huge shift in team title race outlooks. I know its one guy but it really will be.

I'm one of the picks that chose Lee but I think 141 is eventually is where he'll be at in college.

Oh, sure, he writes one line and gets the compliment?
I guess if you count 3 sentences as one line................OK.........
confused0024.r191677.gif

He's still way behind GG121AND2 for brevity and POWER !!!

GG simply writes "I need money"......and we all get our checkbooks.
happy0003.r191677.gif

Here's to all you do GG............
happy0030.r191677.gif

Now go sign Hall and Lee for us !

Originally posted by HIWILLE:
I'm one of the picks that chose Lee but I think 141 is eventually is where he'll be at in college.
Thats interesting. If your right it would allow the two lightwieght soph to come in 125/133 and or that Sanberg kid. If Lee does grow to 141, it would be perfect to have him hold 133 for a year or two. Starting to wonder if Surianno is even a good fit anymore. That sounds like blaspemy but really im afraid hes running out of a spot at the table and I do wonder at the end of the day when he translated to D1 will he even be an offensive wrestler. I see him being very defensive and riding. A lot like Waters. Which can win but given what our fanbase wants to see? Is it that model? We want 1st period TDs.

However the downside is Happel. I wonder if waiting for Lee to commit isnt plaing a slight factor. prolly not but only so much to go around. Dont get me wrong I luv Happel but he may not have a seat at the party because I dont see a 149 in him with Kem or Turk lingering.

This is good stuff to think about. IMO the next 2 recruiting classes will set up a team for a 4 team title run jsut with the possible power shift of Hall and Lee. Iowas positioned themselves well, now lets tie up the 2 missing pieces and challange the records books.

Originally posted by Ihawkd9times:

Lee. I realize all the love fest for Hall right now and its warranted but these 2 are easily the top P4P guys. My only thing is as great as both can be i do think Lee being 125 or 133 will have less pirahanas to deal with than 165/174/184. Not really putting down the lightweights as much as Hall will have to deal with the likes of BoJo, Nickal, Valancia etc down the road. Which also leads me to beleive he would benefit from a redshirt. THose guys are no jokes. Likewise Ive seen enough of Lee to see him not redshirt and be a fianlist or champ. As great as Hall is I just cant say that.

Could be wrong but Lee can give more points immediatly and as well over his 4 years. Now if you want to debate 174 being a bigger need than 125/133 with what we have coming in. You would have a valid point.

At the end of the day, IMO Spencer Lee is the man. Plus getting him means PSU aint. Huge shift in team title race outlooks. I know its one guy but it really will be.
I agree

The other interesting P4P guy is Olivas. Dont think he is on our radar but man is he good. However does anythingk he will ever grow into a 125 college guys. Seems like he is the perfect 118 class kid?

I wonder about that with him.

Originally posted by Ihawkd9times:

The other interesting P4P guy is Olivas. Dont think he is on our radar but man is he good. However does anythingk he will ever grow into a 125 college guys. Seems like he is the perfect 118 class kid?

I wonder about that with him.
Cade is young and was cutting real weight to make 106. He'll grow more than enough imo.

He will be very, very good, and he'll follow his teammates.

I'm all about Spencer lee. I think Hall is amazing, but I think Lee is the best prep wrestler in the country.

Lee better hit a big spurt if he is going to be a 141. From what I gather he cuts little at 120 and is there mainly to get better competition.

Since I'm a PSU fan, guess I'll answer by giving you the one guy I would hate to see you land and that's Spencer Lee. I think he is hands down the best h.s. wrestler at thus time and will have the most successful college career as well. And against what probably all of you think, I think there's a nice gap between Lee and #2 on your list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT