ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Best recruit for Iowa

Well it's pretty much Hall vs Lee.

What's Lee's best win? I saw Hall dominate Valencia. If I remember correctly he used a lot of ties, especially underhooks which is why I think we have a good shot at him. Seems like it fits Iowa's style better.

Anyways, back to the debate. What or who is Lee's best win? I honestly don't know, I'm sure there's a bunch.

Originally posted by hawkster03:

Anyways, back to the debate. What or who is Lee's best win? I honestly don't know, I'm sure there's a bunch.
For one he's wrestling up a weight in PA so his teammate Devin Brown can wrestle 113.

MAJ #14 Agaisse (120)
MAJ #15 Eli Stickey (120)
TF(2x) Fall(1x) #5 Jack Mueller (120)
3-1 over Nick Suriano (a top 8 2016 recruit)
6-2 over tOSU recruit (top 100 2015) Jose Rodriguez
MAJ #4 Dayton Fix (120)

Some of these results go back to last season, but this is what he has done.

What's Lee's best win? I saw Hall dominate Valencia. If I remember correctly he used a lot of ties, especially underhooks which is why I think we have a good shot at him. Seems like it fits Iowa's style better.

Lee has victories over Suriano and Daton Fix. Hall has wrestled tougher competition, but Lee has zero high school losses and regularly destroys nationally ranked opponents. Hall has taken several losses in his high school career (all to very good wrestlers). Just last year Marsteller and Snyder graduated, and they were both every bit as dominant as these two guys. It's not like we haven't seen this type of talent before.

MVP

"From what I gather he cuts little at 120 and is there mainly to get better competition."

Both this year and last year Spencer Lee has cut minimal (if any) weight. The primary reason that he wrestled 120 this year and 113 last year was for team reasons at Franklin Regional. Devin Brown won the states last year at 106 and is ranked #1 in the state at 113 this year.

I believe Spencer will start his career at 125 and maybe finish at 133.

I voted Lee - because I believe he will be more dominant and have more points at nationals than Hall. The only question is of need at that weight. I really like the two guys that have verballed to us, but Lee is just flat out better. Hopefully we can find a spot for all three.

While Hall is obviously a great wrestler, I guess I just don't see him as a DT. Marstellar was another middle to upper weight no miss kind of recruit. I think the question marks for Hall are just greater in my mind.

Yeah,Suriano is most notable win but what he did at Cadet Worlds was incredible. Also, what he did against the states best in PIAA championships as a freshman was a real eye opener. This year, it looks like his first match will be against a returning state champ. You can almost check that as either a tech or pin right now.

I vote for Pico.
After he loses to Metcalf this spring, and he sees the classes we are signing, he comes to his senses. To be the best, he has to wrestle the best, everyday in practice. I also accept Hall, Lee and Happel.

Originally posted by Jackhawk87:

I voted Lee - because I believe he will be more dominant and have more points at nationals than Hall. The only question is of need at that weight. I really like the two guys that have verballed to us, but Lee is just flat out better. Hopefully we can find a spot for all three.

While Hall is obviously a great wrestler, I guess I just don't see him as a DT. Marstellar was another middle to upper weight no miss kind of recruit. I think the question marks for Hall are just greater in my mind.
More points at Nationals than Hall?

Originally posted by MVPFAN:
Lee better hit a big spurt if he is going to be a 141. From what I gather he cuts little at 120 and is there mainly to get better competition.
Probably right there, I guess I'll change that to 133/141. What Ihawk9 was saying about Happel has been on my mind for some time now, I also seem to think this might not happen for reasons.

ha ha... getting Pico would be nice, no doubt about it, moose

waltzed thru his bracket to win CA state as a fr
Fargo Cadet and Jr FS champ
cadet World FS champ
jr World FS runnerup

Pico handled Retherford with ease (3-0, 5-1) in the Jr World team trials finals last year and last month he handily beat
Reece Humphrey in FS

and he is all of 18 years old!

...unfortunately, that ship sailed a while back

This post was edited on 3/3 2:43 PM by rossel 33

IMO if you have an in state kid you feel will be nails then you make him a priority. It is good for the fans and easier on the $$$ because you need to give a higher percent to out of state to equal the same amount of aid for an in state. We need to get the in state guys we really want.

The reason I picked Hall over Lee is simple. The twins. Tom and Terry Brands will make their 125 and 133 lbers multiple AA's and Finalists NO MATTER WHAT. They don't need the #1 recruit at those weights. They just need a guy that will "buy in". Landing an upper weight wrestler of Hall's caliber would be much more impactful to the Iowa program.

Originally posted by MSU158:

The reason I picked Hall over Lee is simple. The twins. Tom and Terry Brands will make their 125 and 133 lbers multiple AA's and Finalists NO MATTER WHAT. They don't need the #1 recruit at those weights. They just need a guy that will "buy in". Landing an upper weight wrestler of Hall's caliber would be much more impactful to the Iowa program.
Agree

Originally posted by moosemonster:
I vote for Pico.
After he loses to Metcalf this spring, and he sees the classes we are signing, he comes to his senses. To be the best, he has to wrestle the best, everyday in practice. I also accept Hall, Lee and Happel.
Pretty big of you to let those guys in.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by 1stplacehawk:

Lee has victories over Suriano and Daton Fix. Hall has wrestled tougher competition, but Lee has zero high school losses and regularly destroys nationally ranked opponents. Hall has taken several losses in his high school career (all to very good wrestlers). Just last year Marsteller and Snyder graduated, and they were both every bit as dominant as these two guys. It's not like we haven't seen this type of talent before.
Hall lost once as a freshman, that's it. What I'm most impressed with is his Gablesque defense: taken down only twice this year, both in same match (flu maybe?).

Originally posted by bawlmerhawk:
Originally posted by 1stplacehawk:

Hall lost once as a freshman, that's it. What I'm most impressed with is his Gablesque defense: taken down only twice this year, both in same match (flu maybe?).
I'm referring to more than just in season official high school records. He's lost to Valencia, Murphy and Nickal in folkstyle. He also lost to Peter Nagy in Greco this summer. Hall is a top couple P4P guy but he has been beaten. Lee hasn't taken a loss to an american wrestler since he started high school

Lee has also wrestled at very light weights where most of his competition is comparable in age. Even when they are older the difference between someone a year or two ahead of you in age may not make be as significant. Nickal was able to move Hall all over the mat. Valencia, whom he has since beaten, is also a class ahead of him. Age differences are a much bigger factor in the upper weights.

And by choosing Lee as the top prospect, I admit I'm probably not being fair to the rest. I've seen Lee wrestle more than all of them but every time I do I come away thinking there couldn't possibly be a better prep wrestler in the country right now. In fact, my own brother told me I was nuts and crossed the line with him when I stated Lee could win 5 state titles in at least 45 states if he could compete as an 8th grader. I said this right after he took Suriano to the wire at S32 as an 8th grader. I think he's that good. Aside from being injured or dq'd don't expect to see him lose a h.s. match...

This post was edited on 3/3 6:18 PM by johnstownsteel

+1 JTS...Choosing between Hall and Lee is a Sophie's Choice. I like Hall's unflappable demeanor. Watch the match between Hall and Valencia at Freakshow...I thought Valencia had him more than a few times but somehow Hall's defense just came through for him. He lost the match but I had never seen a more impressive loss. With Lee, he is a mini Brands. His mentality is such that he thinks nobody should be able to even score on him. At Cadet Worlds, nobody did.

I think the pressure got to Marstellar. Bo Jordan is proving himself. So is Snyder. But I haven't seen two kids that I have the confidence in like Hall and Lee. H/T to their parents for raising kids that not only shine on the mat but off of it too.

I voted for Hall based on the idea that he's a longer shot for Iowa to land than Lee. (just a guess.) At the end of the day, I'd like to have both of these guys.

Originally posted by Jackhawk87:

When we get into the conversations about Full Rides, it always harkens me back to Alex Tsirtsis. I don't know if he got a full ride, but if he did (and he very well could have - he was the #1 overall recruit that year I believe), it was a colossal waste of scholarship money (he may be the nicest guy in the world, but he didn't produce at Iowa relative to his credentials coming in - which doesn't put him in a Class of One - he's got plenty of company). Granted, there are times when scholarships "float" from year to year depending on results and things of that nature.

Iowa has done pretty well with full ride "types", whether they actually had them or not I don't know. Guys like Mocco before he bolted, Lincoln Mac, Joe Williams, Brent Metcalf, Randy Lewis, Mark Perry, etc.

Most I think pan out pretty good, but there are a whole lot of guys out there who THINK they are full ride worthy, and are not. There is a LONG list of major busts over the years, at Iowa and everywhere else that have to make one think before handing out that dough and letting it ride.

I trust that Iowa's Coaching Staff knows the difference, and if you're going to hand out full rides, you better make damn sure you're right.

You absolutely give Mark Hall and Spencer Lee full rides if need be. We should be so lucky to have that opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT