ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: If it's Just Biden vs Trump but there's a NOTA Option, Now How Do You Vote?

How do you vote if these are the only options?

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
So many people say they don't want 1 or both of these candidates because of their age (and other reasons). They say they want 1 or even 2 different options.

SO . . . if you had the option to vote for NONE OF THE ABOVE, how would you vote?

While I really want to see NOTA added to most ballots, I worry that the Dems would try to convince people that "a vote for NOTA is a vote for Trump" while Rs would try to convince people that "a vote for NOTA is a vote for Biden."

After all, we've seen those arguments (even turning into attacks) about voting 3rd party in the past (and will this time around, I'm sure).

Here are the reasons not to vote for NOTA.

1. If you force the parties to pick new candidates, there's no guarantee they'll pick better people.

2. If you vote NOTA but those on the other side who are equally unhappy with Biden and Trump don't vote NOTA, you end up with the candidate you want least.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I think Rs will turn out and vote Trump in force. I am afraid many independents and D’s will not vote since both candidates are not desirable.
Yeah. I fear a landslide for Trump. I really hope I'm wrong.

If Trump wins the popular vote, I'm giving up on America.

Seriously. It will no longer be a nation worthy of even trying to fix in the few years I have remaining.

I think Rs will turn out and vote Trump in force. I am afraid many independents and D’s will not vote since both candidates are not desirable.

The Orange Turd will not be elected. In fact, he might go entirely go off the rails before election day. He's nuts ass crazy and getting worse daily. The behavior appeals to his idiotic base but that's it.

And as far as polls are concerned, tell us about the red wave again.

The Orange Turd will not be elected. In fact, he might go entirely go off the rails before election day. He's nuts ass crazy and getting worse daily. The behavior appeals to his idiotic base but that's it.

And as far as polls are concerned, tell us about the red wave again.
No red wave, thank the Light, but not a win either - as Dems lost the House and didn't improve enough in the Senate to pass needed legislation over GOP-Manchin-Sinema obstructionism.

As for "the behavior appeals to his idiotic base but that's it," I think you're missing a huge impact. Trump's well-publicized shenanigans and often-unchallenged lies have successfully framed the so-called "important issues" of the day. Not climate change but drill, drill, drill. Not Ukraine but Europe must pay more. Not good public education but the war on wokism. Not the capture of our judiciary and judicial malfeasance but crime. Not the rights and needs of children but personhood for fetuses. Just to name a few.

the people who don't vote at all, aren't they just saying none of the above , basically?

My developing POV:

Voting and democracy are like that dummy thermostat in the office that isn't actually connected to the HVAC system; it's merely an illusion of agency. Sort of like how a fast food tomato fulfills the symbolic presence of the ingredient more than it actually adds any of the flavor or texture normally associated with a tomato.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT