ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Renaming Schools After Confederate Leaders - Do You Approve or Disapprove?

Where do you stand on the decision to restore Confederate names to these schools?

• Total voters
LOL…..
Naming schools after folks who could legitimately be called “traitors”…..what does that say for decent law abiding public serving folks who have lived in that area for the past 150 years?

Word

If you are for naming or re-naming anything after traitors or desire to have statues and monuments for losing generals then you’ve told me all I needed to know about you

I nominated the name Qanon Shaman Elementary, but was sadly passed over.

visual-language-of-hate.jpg

There were "good" people leading NAZI Germany. Americans like to downplay slavery and racism of the past. Upwards of 25 percent didnt even survive the passage.

Not sure how to vote. If a school has been named after a Confederate for 100 years I really don't care. However if a new school popped up in Sioux City and was named Nathan Bedford Forrest High I'd think it was silly and need to be changed

At this point, 'renaming' them is just downright silly. That said, in that particular county in that particular state, they are at least historically relevant, such that their names should have probably been left on in the first place. By contrast, I never understood why Arlington had a Jeff Davis Highway in the first place.

--Soon-to-be-resident of Jackson Street in Lexington, VA, home of the Virginia Military Institute and Washington & Lee University.

At this point, 'renaming' them is just downright silly. That said, in that particular county in that particular state, they are at least historically relevant, such that their names should have probably been left on in the first place. By contrast, I never understood why Arlington had a Jeff Davis Highway in the first place.

--Soon-to-be-resident of Jackson Street in Lexington, VA, home of the Virginia Military Institute and Washington & Lee University.
Did they rename the Jeff Davis Hwy?

LOL…..
Naming schools after folks who could legitimately be called “traitors”…..what does that say for decent law abiding public serving folks who have lived in that area for the past 150 years?
Those “traitors” held a greater allegiance to their state than to the feds. The concept of the United States was very different than what it is now. You were a Virginian or a Vermonter or a Pennsylvanian before you were an American. Your State had significantly more importance in your life.
Those men believed they were acting in the best interest of their state.

Did they rename the Jeff Davis Hwy?
they did. and there is now no plan to rename it jeff davis highway.

One of the more hilarious renaming initiatives down here is to rename Robert E. Lee's House, i.e., "Arlington", though that of course poses a bigger conundrum.

Incidentally, I had a great aunt who lived in Alexandria when I was a kid, and she was a true southern lady who had lived in the area most of her life. She spoke with a wonderfully regal Virginia accent, and when I came down here to school and called her to say I'd like to pop in for a visit, she gave me directions to "take the Number One Highway." I guess that predated even Davis.

Those “traitors” held a greater allegiance to their state than to the feds. The concept of the United States was very different than what it is now. You were a Virginian or a Vermonter or a Pennsylvanian before you were an American. Your State had significantly more importance in your life.
And, they were traitors. Spin it however you must, but they were traitors. There decision.. and everyone is responsible for their actions.

How do you feel about schools named after Washington, Jefferson, Adams and the like?
its tough...you know?

i mean...i want to support traitors and people who took up arms against our country...but there's just something about those powdered wigs they used to wear

i'll go with "yes, we should name schools after actual founders of our country"

Reactions: torbee

And their state was acting in the interest of protecting the institution of slavery.

Them thinking they were doing the right thing doesn't mean they deserve to be honored.

its tough...you know?

i mean...i want to support traitors and people who took up arms against our country...but there's just something about those powdered wigs they used to wear

i'll go with "yes, we should name schools after actual founders of our country"

So traitors are ok if they win?

How about we not name anything related to government after government officials. If we have to rename something, let it be something that stands the test of time for at least the next 100 years.

To this point, I've repeatedly stated that we shouldn't be naming buildings, structures, parks, trails, etc... after people, living or dead.

Reactions: goldmom
How do you feel about schools named after Washington, Jefferson, Adams and the like?
Were they traitors? Did they ever go to war against Constitution/United States?
Hell northern, they could name one after you and J wouldn’t give a phuque… unless you were a traitor to the US.
I don’t think its a good idea to honor traitors like these contest “war hero’s”..

Reactions: Tom Paris
Were they traitors? Did they ever go to war against Constitution/United States?
Hell northern, they could name one after you and J wouldn’t give a phuque… unless you were a traitor to the US.
I don’t think its a good idea to honor traitors like these contest “war hero’s”..

They went against one of the most successful and civilized forms of government in modern times. The revolutionary fathers were without question "traitors" to their country. This isn't even disputable.

I don’t care what these backwood inbred morons choose to do. Celebrate losers for all I care, I prefer my war heroes to win.

Which was your side?
Did they fight against tge Constiruion abd the Ynited Srates? If so, they committed treason. If their side would have won we wouldn’t be f gf saving this conversation….But the Confederates LOST and therefore these guys committed treason! They should have been shot by the end of April, 1865…. But Fire “pardoned” Nixon…proving the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Most of those “Generals” for tge South deserved to be shot for their participation against the US and its Constitution.

They went against one of the most successful and civilized forms of government in modern times. The revolutionary fathers were without question "traitors" to their country. This isn't even disputable.
But “we” win…tge DF understood this when they signed the Dec of Independence..tge difference is “we” beat the Brits…. The South lost their phuquin’ war.
How much simpler does it get?

How about we not name anything related to government after government officials. If we have to rename something, let it be something that stands the test of time for at least the next 100 years.
Eliminate naming things after people unless they meet strict criteria.

To get your number retired at UNC, a basketball player has to be national player of the year or some such honor. I assume other schools have similar rules. So I'm thinking on similar lines.

How about Nobel or Pulitzer prize winners?

You want to name a street after a sports figure or musician? He (or she) needs to be in the relevant Hall of Fame.

Things like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT