ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Renaming Schools After Confederate Leaders - Do You Approve or Disapprove?

Where do you stand on the decision to restore Confederate names to these schools?

• Total voters
I wish there was an option in the poll for "whatever, I don't really care."

I'm much more concerned about the curriculum being taught than the name of the school.

We had two high schools here in Jacksonville- one named Robert E. Lee and the other named Nathan Bedford Forrest.
Both have been renamed in the last ten years and I’m in support of the changes 100%.
I think Lee was where Skynard went to school right?

Reactions: goldmom
I think Lee was where Skynard went to school right?
I think so. Coach Leonard Skinner was their junior high PE coach though, except for one of their guys who went to my Catholic School and was in my brother’s class.
They played at high school dances and I remember them playing in our school cafeteria.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
We had two high schools here in Jacksonville- one named Robert E. Lee and the other named Nathan Bedford Forrest.
Both have been renamed in the last ten years and I’m in support of the changes 100%.
Nathan Bedford Forrest (July 13, 1821 – October 29, 1877) was a Confederate Army general during the American Civil War and was later the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan from 1867 to 1869.

Before the war, Forrest amassed substantial wealth as a cotton plantation owner, horse and cattle trader, real estate broker, and slave trader.

In June 1861, he enlisted in the Confederate Army and became one of the few soldiers during the war to enlist as a private and be promoted to general without previous military training.

Reactions: goldmom
Nathan Bedford Forrest (July 13, 1821 – October 29, 1877) was a Confederate Army general during the American Civil War and was later the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan from 1867 to 1869.

Before the war, Forrest amassed substantial wealth as a cotton plantation owner, horse and cattle trader, real estate broker, and slave trader.

In June 1861, he enlisted in the Confederate Army and became one of the few soldiers during the war to enlist as a private and be promoted to general without previous military training.
And no surprise the school teams were named the Rebels.
Lee High School was the Generals.
Here’s the interesting statistic: both schools are majority Black students.

LOL

Well, I'm certainly not opposed to it. If there were only two lines in front of the Robert E. Lee Middle School, those opposed and those in support of (a name change), I'd walk over to the "in support of" line.

I wouldn't make a special trip, though. :cool:
I totally approve of the way you framed that. That's my approach on a lot of things.

Sometimes you don't actually care that much or you haven't thought about the issue before, but when you have it shoved in your face, you have to take sides.

That's how I feel about some so-called woke issues. As an old fart, I don't understand all this gender stuff, but when forced to take sides, it's easy to support people's rights.

It's interesting how political parties have weaponized that dynamic. Rs are better at it than Ds.

• Love
Reactions: alaskanseminole
And no surprise the school teams were named the Rebels.
Lee High School was the Generals.
Here’s the interesting statistic: both schools are majority Black students.
Has anyone asked current or former students how they feel about restoring the Confederate names?

Not saying their opinion should necessarily rule, but it would be interesting to know, and perhaps should be a factor in the decision.

I totally approve of the way you framed that. That's my approach on a lot of things.

Sometimes you don't actually care that much or you haven't thought about the issue before, but when you have it shoved in your face, you have to take sides.

That's how I feel about some so-called woke issues. As an old fart, I don't understand all this gender stuff, but when forced to take sides, it's easy to support people's rights.

It's interesting how political parties have weaponized that dynamic. Rs are better at it than Ds.
Dems are better at clandestinely pushing their radicalized agendas, R's are better at exposing them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT