ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: What Do You Like/Dislike About Amy Coney Barrett?

For each issue pair, indicate whether you tend to like or dislike Barrett's expected stance.

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Amy Coney Barrett will almost certainly join the Supreme Court. Likely before the election. Here are 5 positions she's predicted to take. Which do you like or dislike?

1. Environment
Expected to make it harder to enforce environmental protections and easier to pollute.

2. Health care
Expected to rule against Obamacare.

3. Abortion
Expected to be the final vote needed to eliminate or severely restrict abortion rights.

4. Religion (other than abortion)
Expected to allow more religion in government and schools, and to place "religious freedom" ahead of following our laws and equal rights.

5 Disputed election
Expected to support Trump if the 2020 election fight reaches the Supreme Court.

Last edited:
Seriously?

Nobody likes her on any of these big issues?

I wonder what Roman Hruska would have to say about her.

Quote of the Day: Roman L. Hruska and Mediocre Judges

Speaking during March 1970 in favor of a U.S. Supreme Court nominee, Senator Roman L. Hruskaof Nebraska said:
So what if he is mediocre? There are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they? We can't have all Brandeises, Cardozos, and Frankfurters and stuff like that there.
Shockingly, the speech failed to persuade Senator Hruska's colleagues, and the nominee withdrew.

If all of these expectations are true, she is going to be bad for the nation. But I'm willing to hear her speak which is why we need a rigorous and full confirmation process, none of this corner cutting shit.

I do not think one can predict her position on any of these issues, as it appears she is a first rate legal mind and makes decisions based on reason versus ideology. So I think I will like her expected decision on many things, although I expect to agree with her on some and disagree on others. This lady is brilliant, by all accounts, and a good person to boot. I look forward to learning if my expectations are accurate.

mankind has zero to say about the environment

That's an epically moronic statement.

giphy.gif

I do not think one can predict her position on any of these issues, as it appears she is a first rate legal mind
That makes no sense.

She has a record and her record aligns with those projections.

She has also expressed her willingness to overrule prior decisions, and her views on religion overruling secular law are also out there.

Seriously?

Speaking during March 1970 in favor of a U.S. Supreme Court nominee, Senator Roman L. Hruskaof Nebraska said:

Shockingly, the speech failed to persuade Senator Hruska's colleagues, and the nominee withdrew.

This would totally fly in MAGA circles today. He was ahead of his time.

She has raised two children from Haiti. Putting an end to the "Conservatives only care about kids before they are born" schtick. They are free at last!

That makes no sense.

She has also expressed her willingness to overrule prior decisions, and her views on religion overruling secular law are also out there.
He’s just parroting what they are saying on FOX. They spent an hour on their Sunday show explaining how she’s brilliant like Scalia and you couldn’t know how any Justice would ever rule on an issue.

As if Scalia was so mysterious and hard to predict. 🤪

Seriously?

How about the 2nd Amendment or holding government accountable or states rights or Immigration, or Defendant's rights or others?

It will be interesting to see her jurisprudence if the Democrats ever end up with the Presidency, Senate and House of Representatives at the same time, end the filibuster and start passing legislation like a whirlwind. I wonder if she'll adhere to the "strong deference to the legislative body" viewpoint will persevere if, for example, a federal law is passed which codifies the principles enunciated in Roe v. Wade.

Well Joe Biden voted against CJ John Roberts nomination and he was the deciding vote on Obamacre, so as the late , great Cardinal, Joaquin Andujar one said, " you never know "...

Joaquin Andujar Quotes
Quotes From & About Joaquin Andujar / Baseball Quotes / Joaquin Andujar
Quotes From Joaquin Andujar
"How can I play baseball if I'm stupid? If I was stupid I wouldn't have pitched in the World Series. I'd be playing ball in Mexico or Yugoslavia or on Pluto." Source: Baseball Quotations Dictionary (David H. Nathan, 2000)
"I always have trouble seeing the ball in the day time here (Wrigley Field)." Source: AP Wire (1983)
"I throw the ball ninety-two miles an hour, but they hit it back just as hard." Source: Widely Attributed
"It wasn't my arm (that was injured). It was my forearm." Source: AP Wire (1988)
"I win or I die." Source: AP Wire (Comment made before Game 7 of the 1982 World Series)
"My favorite word in English is 'youneverknow.'" Source: Widely Attributed
"That's why I don't talk. Because I talk to much." Source: Baseball Quotations Dictionary (David H. Nathan, 2000)
"There are three-hundred thousand sportswriters and they're all against me. Every one of them." Source: Boston Herald (July 3, 1988)
"There is one word in America that says it all, and that one word is, 'You never know.'" Source: Sports Illustrated (June 22, 1987)
"You can't worry if it's cold; you can't worry if it's hot; you only worry if you get sick. Because then if you don't get well, you die." Source: Baseball's Greatest Quotations (Paul Dickson, 1992)
"You-never-know." Source: Widely Attributed
Quotes About Joaquin Andujar
"Both teams got nothing, but our nothing (Joaquin Andujar) was louder than theirs (Mike Heath)." - Oakland Athletics General Manager Sandy Alderson (1986) in Baseball Quotations Dictionary (David H. Nathan, 2000)
"In recent years the Dominican Republic has become a producer of shortstops-and eccentric righthanded pitchers. Hurler Joaquin Andujar billed himself as 'one tough Dominican.' As a St. Louis Cardinal, he won 20 games in back-to-back seasons following some lean years. After one win to end a drought, Andujar declared, 'God is back in the National League. In fact, he's staying at my house. I'm having a barbecue for him.' Andujar also fancied himself a dangerous hitter, despite his lifetime .127 batting average. He switch-hit, but sometimes he hit right against righthanded pitchers and left against lefties. Teammates speculated that Andujar grabbed a batting helmet and decided which way to hit depending upon what side the ear flap was on. Asked how he'd pitch to himself following one of his rare offensive outbursts, Andujar answered, 'Fastball right down the middle. What do you think, I'd try to get myself out?'" - Eliot Cohen on (the now defunct) TotalBaseball.com
"It was no problem (getting along with Joaquin Andujar). I didn't talk to him on days he was mad, and he was mad all year long." - St. Louis Cardinals Manager Whitey Herzog (1989) in Baseball Quotations Dictionary (David H. Nathan, 2000)
Quotes From & About Joaquin Andujar

We don't have any idea what her positions will be on those issues.

We should be concentrating on how she will apply the Constitution to laws created by politicians, or actions taken by governments against citizens.

2 - 5 . . . however the last one is a deal breaker for me regardless. Because I fear she was picked specifically because she would be willing to overturn democratic votes to give Trump 4 more years.

We should be concentrating on how she will apply the Constitution to laws created by politicians, or actions taken by governments against citizens.

Maybe maybe not. . . she has been a federal judge for a little bit. So that means she should have some published opinions.

That makes no sense.

Tell me what precise issue she will rule on and what her ruling will be.

But she’ll also be asked to interpret federal laws and questions of reasonability and the appropriateness of judicial intervention. It’s not just constitutionality.

Posner showed that the Court decides these issues more along the lines of political ideologies than principled interpretation.

I dislike why I think she was selected and the connection with the upcoming election.

I dislike that she’s only served three years as a judge.

I don’t think she should be confirmed without a commitment to recuse herself from decisions about the upcoming election.

She’s qualified and haven’t seen any personal red flags.

Maybe maybe not. . . she has been a federal judge for a little bit. So that means she should have some published opinions.

All opinions don't translate because circumstances change.

Like, "she hates the environment". How do we know that? Because she ruled against the EPA one time? Perhaps in that case the EPA did something procedurally wrong, or acted unconstitutionally against a citizen.

Then there's the Schumer and Pelosi talking points about health care. No Justice will be voting against health care. They will only be voting on the constitutionality of a law passed by Congress. It's up to Congress to get it right.

Is it really true that all the people who have purchased Obamacare Policies Love them and then love them some more. Is it true that they adore their Obamacare policies; high deductibles and all?

That program still looks to be an abomination to me. The only way you could like that monster would be to be in circumstances where someone else is paying for it ... but of course, that is not how it was sold to the nation.

... just that it would be cheaper than everything that had gone before! and that people would like it so much better that they would not mind the deductibles ... even if they were poor and could not afford the deductibles!

Did John McCain and Nancy Pelosi understand this really and truly? or were they engaging in legerdemain?

Is support for Obamacare a hinge-issue for the new Justice of the Supreme Court? Please explain why it ever would be.

All opinions don't translate because circumstances change.

Like, "she hates the environment". How do we know that? Because she ruled against the EPA one time? Perhaps in that case the EPA did something procedurally wrong, or acted unconstitutionally against a citizen.

Then there's the Schumer and Pelosi talking points about health care. No Justice will be voting against health care. They will only be voting on the constitutionality of a law passed by Congress. It's up to Congress to get it right.

It’s not really a constitutional issue. They’ll be addressing the severability of the individual mandate. They’ll be determining what congress intended.

If they throw out the whole law, it’s judicial activism. Congress removed the mandate without revealing the ACA. We know what they intended to do.

I have no idea what she is or isn’t against. I have no say and no time to waste time on the matter. I will find enjoyment watching people squirm, bitch, complain, and pretend to know what they’re talking about though. This thread hasn’t let me down.

You forgot two important considerations as to your view of her:

Like because she's an extremely intelligent, strong, independent woman
Dislike because she's she's an extremely intelligent, strong, independent woman

and

Like because she values the Constitution
Dislike because she values the Constitution

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT