ADVERTISEMENT

Possible new NCAA transfer/redshirt system

JohnBasedow

HR Legend
Jul 6, 2006
Possible new rule proposal:

“One proposal that is starting to gain traction is five years to play five, with no redshirts, medical redshirts or sitting a year after transferring. Barta said there is “significant discussion” on this option.”

This is a topic being discussed in all NCAA sports but it would certainly be interesting in it’s application to wrestling. Personally I think it would be great as there is too much potential for gaming the rules right now. This would keep it simple and it would also change the game on scholarship management.

On the downside there would be the concern of free agency. Thoughts?

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...nsions-transfers-eligibility-iowa-ad-20190305

100% behind the elimination of redshirting. Redshirting is a manufactured process that's unnecessarily complicated. Get rid of it. 5 to play 5. No 6th years. No medicals. 5 to play 5. That's it. So simple.

Not sure how I feel about the transfer thing.

Not sure what I think for team sports, think the current system works fine. But individual I say you have your 5 years and you can compete in 4 postseasons. So if you get hurt or beat out at the end of the year you still have your chance to compete in 4 post seasons.

Would certainly make wrestling more exciting imo. Could get guys more experience during the year they aren’t going to wrestle postseason, may make the decision to let a guy wrestle postseason, may help decide duals, and a guy like Spencer this year could start the year and see how it plays out. Since he’s still not 100% not a wasted year and Perez Perez goes to big tens while Spencer still gets 3 more post seasons. Now how Olympic years tie in is another ordeal.

Not sure what I think for team sports, think the current system works fine. But individual I say you have your 5 years and you can compete in 4 postseasons. So if you get hurt or beat out at the end of the year you still have your chance to compete in 4 post seasons.

Would certainly make wrestling more exciting imo. Could get guys more experience during the year they aren’t going to wrestle postseason, may make the decision to let a guy wrestle postseason, may help decide duals, and a guy like Spencer this year could start the year and see how it plays out. Since he’s still not 100% not a wasted year and Perez Perez goes to big tens while Spencer still gets 3 more post seasons. Now how Olympic years tie in is another ordeal.

I love the 4 postseasons per 5 years rule in wrestling but I don’t think it is as appealing for other sports. Since they want a uniform rule it seems unlikely since a majority of the schools don’t make the postseason in basketball and football. Money talks so those sports are likely the ones crafting the rule.

I love the 4 postseasons per 5 years rule in wrestling but I don’t think it is as appealing for other sports. Since they want a uniform rule it seems unlikely since a majority of the schools don’t make the postseason in basketball and football. Money talks so those sports are likely the ones crafting the rule.

No need for the complexity. Just make it 5 and be done with it.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Spencer Lee 5x NCAA Champ.
images

I like it except I hate the "gun for hire". Basedow is at Utah and is very good. He sees no chance at a natty with Utah. Basedow sees if he immediately transfers to Oregon state and fill a weight he had a chance to win Natty. This is the one place I like sitting out a year.

Reactions: lionlover
100% behind the elimination of redshirting. Redshirting is a manufactured process that's unnecessarily complicated. Get rid of it. 5 to play 5. No 6th years. No medicals. 5 to play 5. That's it. So simple.

Not sure how I feel about the transfer thing.

I like the new rules but like you I am not sure of the transfer thing.... I just forsee a system where some kids will be moving around a lot, sometimes multiple times and like NFL free agency, kids will be moving from one college to another because one school may have more scholarship money than another. I am ok with transferring without penalty but they need to put a cap on the number of times a kid can transfer. I think that 1 "penalty free" transfer in their college carreer is enough..

Reactions: SPOONER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT