ADVERTISEMENT

Legislative proposal would give Iowa governor more power over judicial selection

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Senate Republican lawmakers revived an effort that would give the governor more power in the process of selecting Iowa district court judges.

The measure was included in a budget bill advanced by a Senate panel Thursday that also includes a modest pay raise for judges and changes to the Judicial Retirement System.

Senate Study Bill 3203 would remove the most senior judge in the district from the judicial nominating commission. Instead, the governor would be allowed to appoint an additional member. With the addition, the governor would be able to appoint six — or a majority — of the members to each judicial nominating commission.

Caitlin Jarzen with the Iowa Judicial Branch emphasized the importance of judges involved in the nominating process to ensure appropriate candidates are selected. She noted this concept is consistent with the other professional licensing or disciplinary boards in the state.

“We've stated before that the most senior judge does not need to be the judge to serve on the commission, but we would like a judge to serve on the commission,” Jarzen said. “... We think judges know best what it takes to be a judge, and certainly appreciate the opinion of the attorneys on the commission ... but we think a judge is essential to selecting qualified applicants.”

How are judges selected?​

Each commission currently has 11 members: five appointed by the governor, five elected by resident lawyers of the district, and one district court judge — the longest-serving in the district. As it stands, district judicial nominating commissions are chaired by senior district court judges. The proposed legislation would instead have commissioners elect a chairperson from their own number.

District judicial nominating commissions are responsible for screening applicants and selecting nominees for district court judicial vacancies. Nominating commissions provide the governor with a slate of two nominees from which to make an appointment to the district court.

Each of Iowa's 14 judicial districts has an 11-member nominating commission, and there is a separate commission of 17 members at the state level for nominations to the Iowa Supreme Court and state appeals court.

Gov. Kim Reynolds and Republican state legislators have called for changes to district judicial nominating commissions after a northern Iowa judge was found to have acted improperly during the process of recommending new judges for gubernatorial appointment.

Democrats have accused Republicans of wanting to change the system because of court rulings they disagreed with on abortion and other issues.

Reynolds vetoed a similar proposal in 2022 that would have had commissioners elect their chair, but with the senior judge still serving on the panel.

The governor, in a letter to the Iowa Secretary of State that accompanied her veto, wrote the proposal “does not resolve these serious concerns about the undue influence of judges on district court commissions. And I am unconvinced that (the proposal) would lead to any meaningful change.”

Reynolds added: “Judges would remain as members on each commission and would likely continue to be elected to serve as chair. Any other result would create an uncomfortable dynamic for all other commissioners — especially the elected lawyers who regularly practice in front of that judge and have a reasonable interest in fostering that relationship.”

Lawyers, judges voice opposition​

Representatives for Iowa’s judicial branch, various attorneys groups, the Iowa Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO and Iowa Judges Association spoke in opposition to the proposed measure. They worried the change could negatively impact the quality of judges appointed and hinder recruitment and retention amid dwindling numbers of individuals applying to be judges.

Doug Struyk, a lobbyist representing the Iowa State Bar Association, said judges provide valuable insights into applicants' temperament and demeanor and how they practice law.

Sen. Julian Garrett, a Republican from Indianola who serves as chair of the Iowa Senate’s judicial budget committee, expressed frustration with judges interpreting Iowa law.

“It is desirable to select judges who will follow the law as written rather than bringing up their own opinions, which we have seen in the past. I guess that's my concern,” Garrett said. “In my opinion, by doing this we will probably get judges who are more likely to follow the law as written. That's my opinion.”

Garrett noted lawmakers in 2019 changed Iowa’s decades-old judicial nominating system by giving the governor more control over the state commission that interviews and selects nominees for appointment to the Iowa Supreme Court and the Iowa Court of Appeals.

Garrett asked opponents whether the quality of justices or judges at the appellate court level has deteriorated in the wake of the change.

Peter Hird, a lobbyist representing the Iowa Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO, retorted by asking Garrett for examples of how the new process has improved the judicial system by giving the governor the authority to appoint the majority of the State Judicial Nominating Commission.

“Well, in my opinion, it has,” Garrett responded. “But, even if it hadn't changed things, it would seem to me that it's still a justifiable thing to do unless it's detrimental.”

While the change has not resulted in low quality applicants, Jarzen reiterated that local judges have extensive knowledge of how they practice as attorneys, how they behave in a courtroom, and “if they've ever done anything that's kind of toeing the line on ethics.”

“And I think just because we haven't had a bad outcome in the past three years doesn't mean that it's a good idea to make this change,” she said.

Attorneys: Pay bump not enough to entice people to the bench​

Concerns also were raised about the potential impact of proposed reforms on the judicial pension system, and the need for higher salaries to keep up with surrounding states.

The bill appropriates $216 million for the judicial branch, a roughly $3.7 million increase from the current fiscal year.

The proposed budget includes:

• An $2.1 million increase for general operations within the judicial branch.
  • An increase of $1.0 million for judicial officer salaries, amounting to a roughly 2 percent increase in judicial salaries
  • An increase of $574,000 for estimated health insurance premium increases.

Jarzen said the judicial salary increase, while appreciated, is insufficient to compete with higher salaries in surrounding states and to keep up with inflation.

Retention and recruitment of judges has been hindered by stagnant salaries and a lack of cost of living increases, with county attorneys and other government attorneys in Iowa receiving higher salaries, she said.

“While the inflation adjusted income of district court judges decreased over 18 percent (since 2010), county attorneys’ median inflation adjusted salary increased 5 percent,” Jarzen said. “... This is a big problem because a huge portion of our judicial applicant pool is county attorneys. And we're going to ... get to a point where the position of a judge is not attractive to a county attorney anymore. And we'd like to have their expertise on the bench.”

Salaries by judges are set by statute. In the last 15 years, judges have received five pay increases.

Iowa Supreme Court Chief Justice Susan Christensen has asked lawmakers for a 6.2 percent increase for the fiscal year starting July 1.

Read More:
Chief Justice Christensen goes after pay raises for Iowa judges

“That would still keep us dead last, just not as far dead last,“ Jarzen said.

Reynolds has proposed a 2 percent increase for judges.

Iowa judges make $16,000 less per year than judges in South Dakota, and $38,000 less per year than judges in Nebraska.

The lack of competitive salaries for judges has resulted in a 61 percent reduction in judicial applicants from 2003 to 2023, with only two to three applicants per vacancy in recent years, Jarzen said.

Christiansen, in her annual Condition of the Judiciary address to the Iowa Legislature, said “being appointed by the governor to the bench should be the pinnacle of an attorney’s career, not a deep financial sacrifice.”

What’s next?​

Sen. Todd Taylor, D-Cedar Rapids, declined to advance the budget bill, echoing the concerns raised by the judicial branch.

“We have an employment crisis. And this bill doesn't really deal with some of the problems that we have,” Taylor said.

He said it’s his intent to continue negotiations with Senate Republicans and work to address the significant issues raised around judicial salaries, pensions and the nominating commission process.

The bill now heads to the full Senate Appropriations Committee for consideration.

"This is the beginning. This isn't the end of the process,“ Garrett said as Senate and House lawmakers negotiate and seek a compromise over competing budget proposals before the end of session.

I have to say, I'm really intrigued and impressed by the way iowa selects its judges. While I hate elected judges, yet oddly don't otherwise fear political involvement in nomination processes, it seems to me like you guys have a very sound system to ensure competence. I hope you don't **** it up.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I have to say, I'm really intrigued and impressed by the way iowa selects its judges. While I hate elected judges, yet oddly don't otherwise fear political involvement in nomination processes, it seems to me like you guys have a very sound system to ensure competence. I hope you don't **** it up.

We have had the best system around. No sense in f'ing it up.

If we don't remove the republicans we have in our state government soon, you can be sure it will all be f**ked up.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT