ADVERTISEMENT

Post election thoughts... the day after.

Well if the polls say so....
Screen-Shot-2016-11-09-at-2.24.47-PM-1024x269.png

Well of course he lost "badly" with minorities. Anyone with an (R) next to their name loses badly with minorities and have for years. Great job btw of the dems keeping their voters actually suppressed for the last 50 years. Problem is you are seeing people finally wake up in these camps that have been left behind by the party that was supposed to be lifting them up.

USA TODAY
"Today's @realDonaldTrump approval ratings among black voters: 36%," Rasmussen said in a tweet. "This day last year: 19%."

That is a staggeringly high number for a man who only won 8 percent of the African-American vote in 2016.
I love shit like this. Argues polls are kinda bunk, then in his very next post uses polls as his validation.

Any Republican that says they're not concerned is flat out lying. Virginia was viewed as a "purple" State.

The mere fact that Trump campaigned for a losing candidate means much more.

And with that result... Trump will be telling his staff that he doesn't want to go to "tossup" races because it could reflect poorly on him. I bet he doesn't set foot in AZ, Colorado, and Maine... as another poster suggested.

Iowa might be a problem for him also if the trade war and ethanol issues remain.

The GOP is worried.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Joni is currently sitting on a 39% approval rating. This number delights me.

I assume Trump is at least a tad higher. I've predicted that this seat will mirror within 1-2 percentage points of the top of the ticket. If the Dem wins, Joni is finished. Nobody is voting D for Pres and Joni for Senate.

I feel like Greenfield MAY outperform the top of the ticket, but again, probably just by 1-2 points max. Looking at 2016, this is about how things played out in Senate seats in Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Indiana.

I do think it's foolish to try to predict how Iowa will go in November before there's a nominee. There's way too many things that are yet to happen.

Reactions: MitchLL
Any Republican that says they're not concerned is flat out lying. Virginia was viewed as a "purple" State.

The mere fact that Trump campaigned for a losing candidate means much more.

And with that result... Trump will be telling his staff that he doesn't want to go to "tossup" races because it could reflect poorly on him. I bet he doesn't set foot in AZ, Colorado, and Maine... as another poster suggested.

Iowa might be a problem for him also if the trade war and ethanol issues remain.

The GOP is worried.

You can tell they are worried because their only response to the results last night was that they killed in it Mississippi. If the GOP winning in Mississippi is big news you know they are in trouble.

Remember 2012, when if you just watched Fox News W. Mitt Romney was easily winning the election and the Romney people were prepared for a smashing victory.

Something unexpected to them happened on the way to the polls.

So when his niece is telling you something about polls, think of the three dollar bill.

Same thing in 2016. Who here thought Trump was going to win? The National Polls had Hillary winning, and she did win the popular vote. But that's not how you get elected.

I think the GOP needs to take it on the chin (literally) next fall. Starting with Trump, and funneling down to the Party over country Senators.

Then the Dems will take control of all three houses. My bet is they will then abolish the filibuster and implement what they want.

Then if four to eight years, if the country doesn't like what they're seeing, the pendulum will swing back to the GOP. Rinse and repeat.

I assume Trump is at least a tad higher. I've predicted that this seat will mirror within 1-2 percentage points of the top of the ticket. If the Dem wins, Joni is finished. Nobody is voting D for Pres and Joni for Senate.

I feel like Greenfield MAY outperform the top of the ticket, but again, probably just by 1-2 points max. Looking at 2016, this is about how things played out in Senate seats in Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Indiana.

I do think it's foolish to try to predict how Iowa will go in November before there's a nominee. There's way too many things that are yet to happen.
If I'm the Iowa Dem HQs, I'm praying to God for an opportunity to get ole Breadbags and Trump on stage together next year. Tie her to this President and let her go down with the ship.

Ernst will have to make a decision on her relationship going forward. A "purple" State like Iowa is dangerous territory for Idiot In Chief.

Same thing in 2016. Who here thought Trump was going to win? The National Polls had Hillary winning, and she did win the popular vote. But that's not how you get elected.

I think the GOP needs to take it on the chin (literally) next fall. Starting with Trump, and funneling down to the Party over country Senators.

Then the Dems will take control of all three houses. My bet is they will then abolish the filibuster and implement what they want.

Then if four to eight years, if the country doesn't like what they're seeing, the pendulum will swing back to the GOP. Rinse and repeat.

I still look back at the last couple months especially in 2016 and just marvel at the number of crazy things that happened down the stretch. 3 incredibly nasty, acrimonious debates; Access Hollywood, the Comey Letter; Trump's wild and crazy campaigning...I don't know that we'll ever see anything that insane again.

Note - I fully expect the vitriol next fall to be terrible, but I don't know if it will be possible for all the other things to repeat themselves.

Will they do that just because Republicans did it? Or will they revert the districts back to a more ideal and representative of the areas?

They will do it because those are the current rules as defined by the Supreme Court. For states that don’t have non partisan redistributing, the majority party is free to put the hammer on the minority party. There is no recourse.

Republicans in Kentucky may be seeking to overturn the governor's results. The Senate majority leaders says that the legislature, controlled by Republicans, may ultimately decide the winner of the election, due to unspecified irregularities. Crossing my fingers for this, as it would further expose the corruption that is the Republican Party.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...decide-race-senate-president-says/4174103002/
Interesting. Imagine this scenario. You vote someone in as a representative. You decide that party isn't representing you well, they still have another year or two. Meanwhile you try to change the governor because they also aren't representing you well. It comes to a tie, and the person that you voted for previously who you don't like anymore reinstalls the person you voted against.

A perennial candidate appointed to a state board by Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin was booed offstage after falsely announcing the Republican had won re-election.

The woman, identified as Covington resident Alyssa McDowell, jumped onstage at GOP headquarters and told the crowd that Bevin had won — about 20 minutes after WLEX-TV called the election for Democrat Andy Beshear.

“Hey, we just got word Matt Bevin has won,” McDowell said, holding a cell phone to her ear.
She then began hooting and hollering in celebration, as the crowd cheered along with her.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/11/ki...sely-claim-kentucky-governor-won-re-election/

If I'm the Iowa Dem HQs, I'm praying to God for an opportunity to get ole Breadbags and Trump on stage together next year. Tie her to this President and let her go down with the ship.

Ernst will have to make a decision on her relationship going forward. A "purple" State like Iowa is dangerous territory for Idiot In Chief.

Joni has no choice but to get on his ship and see where it goes. As I noted, he’s probably more popular than she is in terms of approval rating. Trump sits about in the mid 40s in Iowa while Ernst is at 39. There’s no upside to her distancing herself.

Republicans in Kentucky may be seeking to overturn the governor's results. The Senate majority leaders says that the legislature, controlled by Republicans, may ultimately decide the winner of the election, due to unspecified irregularities. Crossing my fingers for this, as it would further expose the corruption that is the Republican Party.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...decide-race-senate-president-says/4174103002/
Stivers said he thought Bevin’s speech declining to concede to Beshear was “appropriate.” He said believes most of the votes that went to Libertarian John Hicks, who received about 2% of the total vote, would have gone to Bevin and made him the clear winner.

Soooo...I guess, they'll just award Hicks' votes to Bevin since that's who they meant to vote for? Sounds about right for the GOP.

Stivers said he thought Bevin’s speech declining to concede to Beshear was “appropriate.” He said believes most of the votes that went to Libertarian John Hicks, who received about 2% of the total vote, would have gone to Bevin and made him the clear winner.

Soooo...I guess, they'll just award Hicks' votes to Bevin since that's who they meant to vote for? Sounds about right for the GOP.
Under that line of thought, they should give Hillary the votes that went to Jill Stein?

They will do it because those are the current rules as defined by the Supreme Court. For states that don’t have non partisan redistributing, the majority party is free to put the hammer on the minority party. There is no recourse.
Yes there is - but the path is through the state courts. The SC throwing it back to the states was a win for NC because our state SC is far more moderate than the USSC.

Given the stunning results in Virginia and Kentucky, I think it's safe to say the GOP/RNC has been forced into reevaluating their strategies going forward.

Even though local results don't always reflect National trends, the National perception by many voters will be that the nation is not happy with the Republican Party right now. The chaos in the WH and the criminal implications of Trump's actions seem to have taken a toll.

The one absolute, indisputable takeaway from Tuesday's voting is that the Democrats and their supporters are HIGHLY motivated as evidenced by turnout. High voter turnout is nearly always a bad sign for the Party in power. There can be little dispute Trump has energized the Dems.
I suspect we'll see massive $$$ contributions to the Democratic Party.

The question for the GOP is how to stop the bleeding?
I didn't vote because I took a nap.........and it was great! :)

Also the world hasn't burned down yet, so you all got that going for you which is nice. :D

So, what do republican candidates do next summer? Do they ask Trump to campaign for them? Will he ask them to appear with him in their states?

I'm generally referring to the 4-5 Senate republicans facing tough races (enough to flip the Senate). Gardner (CO), Collins, (ME), Thillis (NC), McSally (AZ), Ernst (IA)

Or do they politely decline?

I could easily see Gardner, Collins and Thillis telling the WH to pound sand if Trump shows up in their states.
I'm genuinely curious who the Dems will run against Joni in Iowa? Will they trot out an up and comer or will they run a retread like Braley? I have no idea who has announced a Senate bid on the Dem side in Iowa.

It will end up being Theresa Greenfield so far as I can see. She ran in 2018 for David Young's House seat (that Cindy Axne eventually won) but dropped out because some volunteer forged some petition signatures. So she already had a campaign structure in place and money in the bank before she started this run.

She out gained Phoni (and I assume all of the other Dems) in Q3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT