ADVERTISEMENT

Post of optimism: Basketball

dexhwk

HB All-American
Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Iowa
I sit here thinking about next with the reality we won’t probably make the tournament. The thought of that at first annoyed me but then I remembered what we are losing. If Iowa finishes at .500 I feel I’ll actually be happy. Now hear me out on why I feel that will make most happy

1. Most people on this board would probably agree there is some young talent on this roster that has shown flashes of ability and good basketball skills. The main issue at this point is inexperience and a few holes in the roster. If Fran can fill some of those voids and keep the current roster and additions together I feel the future is bright.
2. A glaring thing missing from Iowa teams recently has been defense. The backcourt finally has athletes that have truly been missing to play good consistent defense. This is not a knock on ex players but facts are facts. When a defender lacks the lateral quickness and athleticism to recover it hurts a team’s ability to play consistent defense. This season is frans chance to play a hard press defense to make up for the lack of shooting.

3. Chemistry. As many have mentioned there were great flashes of chemistry when pmac kmurray and jt were on the court together and I might even add Perkins too. Give these guys some time to gel and we have ourselves a great foundation to build from and Iowa’s most athletic team to boot

The Ifs:
1. Fill the holes on the roster the P5 players that can create on offense and play good defense (big if)
2. Get the team to play consistent good to great defense. This should be Frans most athletic team so no reason it shouldn’t be one of his best defensive teams (slight big if)
3. Get a a lineup early and figure out the players roles so they can get some comradery. Fran has seemed to struggle with lineups early in the season and this upcoming season has no room for error (medium if)
4. Adjust the offense to penetrate and not depend on the 3 ball as much. Let your athletes create their shot by attacking and getting to the free throw line (slight if)
5. Have fun. Now is probably as important as ever to have a fun and exciting environment for the players. The transfer crap is crazy and Fran needs to adjust. Keep the players on the roster and fill holes with talented free agents (slight if)

I feel if Fran can do these things or just improve on them this upcoming season we fans might have a exciting season. This teams floor is .500 and the ceiling is who knows. Even if they finish at .500 and show flashes and play consistent defense the future will be bright. I typed this in the nicu with my 3 future hawks on lack of sleep so apologies if it makes no sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News