ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Observations/Depth Chart Offense (Long)

Mr__Iowa

HB MVP
Aug 20, 2003
Couple blanket statements
1. We seem to be pretty talented at a lot of spots. Looking at 4-5 solid runningbacks, our 3rd team OL is something else. Young talent on DL. CB is thin but talented.
2. CJ is in the conversation to the most important player to a season maybe ever. It's him and a grand canyon of a drop off.
3. Either we decided to get a great look at the freshman today or this is one of the most talented classes in the Ferentz era....the 2nd team was littered with them today.
5. Wide Receiver and Tight End are revolving doors

Quarterback---
1. CJ Beathard: Had a big brace on his leg and they held him out late in the scrimmage giving way to the other 3 but without question we got to keep this guy healthy. He is our season guys. Has a presence about him that is special.
2. Tyler Weigers: Progresses every time I see him but in no way is he close to CJ. I keep trying to remind myself that no one is...he is rated a top SR/top QB, but he is not close. If he has to play this year, we are 1 dimensional.
3. Drew Cook: Looks the part, throws a good ball. Seems to take more chances than Weigers but inconsistent right now.
4. Nathan Stanley: Seemed to struggle to get to his drop, either getting stepped on by C or just not comfortable but similar to Cook right now...throws well/big guy/big arm. Will be a big battle for #3 this year.
Travel: Beathard, Wiegers, Cook, Stanley

Runningback
1. LeShun Daniels/Akrum Wadley
Similar situation to last season with Wadley taking Canzieri carries. Daniels is the hammer and I think will be announced as the starting RB. We will ride him with thoughts of the Minnesota games dancing in our heads. Wadley is a great change of pace and the added weight looks good. Regardless we know what we have with these two.
2. Derrick Mitchell: Most years he would be more than a third down back but we have the luxury of having someone of his ability hold a role for us. Good in blitz pickup and obviously excellent receiver out of backfield. Could help in an injury situation...better than Bullock was right now.
3. Toks Akinrabade: Had some real phenomenal runs today with excellent cuts. He has it and would hold the Mitchell role right now if he didn't have him. As he continues to put on weight he will be a 3 down back. Not a lot of carries to go around this year but he will be in the mix next season.
4. Toren Young: This is the type of guy we usually don't redshirt. Big/powerful goal line runningback. Think Jevon Pugh/AJ Johnson/LeShun Daniels type guy...BUT with a healthy Daniels is there a role this season? I say redshirt unless injury to Daniels.
5. Marcel Joly: Actually didn't look too bad. Everyone was writing him off as a guy that should transfer (and with Toks/Toren ahead maybe he should) but we've played worse in bad situations. I think if anything his presence allows for a redshirt to stay on 1 of the backs.
6. Sam Cook: Bowling ball of butcher knives....looks like a short fullback but he hits the hole hard.
Travel: Daniels/Wadley/Mitchell/Toks/Joly

Fullbacks:
1. Drake Kulick: the most dynamic of the others as he can catch out of backfield as well.
2. Brady Ross: looks the part...short/cueball haircut...tough.
3. Austin Kelly: probably had the block of the day on a short run drill where he blew up the LB for an essential 1st down.
-All 3 were on KR unit.

Wide Receiver: No Jay Scheel/Jonathon Parker
1. Matt Vandeberg: Like most of the proven guys, he didn't play all that much and we know what we got in him. I did notice that he was indeed our slot in 3 receiver sets. He needs to have a great year.
2. Riley McCarron: Played a little more than Vandeberg but it was obvious today was a lot about all of the other guys after these two. I hope I'm wrong but if we are to have a great year he has to be more like a #4 than a #2.
3. Z: Jerminic Smith: Got a lot of targets today but didn't do anything "wow worthy". Caught the wrath of Kennedy when he gave up on a route during the 2 minute drill. I get the sense he will obviously be in the mix but maybe the rise of Scheel is a little bit because of Jay but also Smith might not have taken that needed step to pull away with the job. Regardless, we need him.
4. X: Adrian Falconer: Glad to see him get a lot of reps and he had a couple nice catches, one especially where he put some moves on an pulled away from the D. Great combination of size and speed. Will be a big special teams contributor as well. Punt gunner? Kickoff return front line for sure.
5: Slot: Surprise of the scrimmage.....it's Ronald Nash. Slow down the talk of Ryan Boyle...Ronald Nash is next in line. Granted he is probably behind both Vandeberg and McCarron but he got a ton of reps with the 1's.
6. Devonte Young: He probably got more reps than any 1 player today. He was running with the 1's when Vande/McCarron sat as well as running with the 2's. His stock is rising as well and probably based on position will pass Nash and maybe even Falconer. He most likely will play this year and I expect a Jerminic Smith type season Year 1. Tons of reps and got the most targets...caught his share dropped a few bombs he needs to come down with. Also working some KR.
7. Emmanuel Ogwo: Trying to expand his understanding to 2 positions. In the 2 minute drill he ran the slot before Boyle. Has speed but seems like he needs to work on his routes. Caught CJ talking to him about being more precise in his breaks.
8. Ryan Boyle: Slow down the hype train...you might argue he is above Ogwo for the slot, but he was not ahead of Nash and I think Nash is even behind Vande/McCarron this year. Looks ok in the slot and has special team ability so I think he travels before Ogwo.
9. Shaun Beyer/Connor Keane: Played the same spot and are at a similar stage right now. Beyer is a project and dropped a few gimmes in Indee drills.
10. Brandon Bishop...long line down in the slot position.

Tight End: No Kittle/Wisnieski
1. Peter Pekar: big body in the run game/big target that can and will play this year (Wisnieski had an immobile brace on...out for a while it seems...again). But not a lot of speed and separation. This is a trouble spot.
2. Nate Vejvoda: Pleasantly surprised to see him here and he looks a whole lot different than last year. At that point he reminded me of Austin Vier/Furlong (guys that never contributed) but he caught a ball or two and did a nice job. Not an inline guy yet though and with Kittle, probably not much time for him this year.
3. Nate Weiting: Played inline TE with the 2's and shared duties with Vejvoda with the 1's so actually he is probably #2. Getting better...needs to hold off young bucks.
4. Noah Fant/TJ Hockensen: Both got similar reps with 2's and 3's. If anything, injury to Wisnieski and the hold out of Kittle got these two tons of reps. I like them both a lot. Hockensen looked a lot like Weiting already (and 38/39 got confusing) but in a year he rises the depth chart. Fant is intriuging as well...caught the ball well and has good size. Only negative I seen is he jumped when he caught the ball a few times when he didn't need to. Regardless if Wisnieski is out for any length of time, they might both need to play.

Offensive Line: No Welsh, Keppy
Didn't watch this group that closely aside from who was in and progression of depth chart.
LT: Cole Croston, Brett Waechter, Alaric Jackson: Waechter just being in this spot with all the star studded guys behind him tells us a lot about his future. Also, Alaric Jackson is a big boy and moved the Iowa Farm boys inside...that's a good sign for him.

LG: Keegan Render, Ryan Ward/Ross Reynolds, Landan Paulsen/Burke Prins
Render is the 6th man this year and after hearing from players that he is surprising some, that is a good sign. Reynolds got most of the 2nd team snaps as the youth stole reps from the backup Seniors (Ferentz/Ward). As mentioned, with Jackson, Landan seems to have moved inside...big boy.

C: James Daniels, Steve Ferentz/Brandon LeGrand, Spencer Williams
With no Welsh, Daniels got the look at C today. LeGrand was 2nd team C as mentioned Ferentz only got a few reps (dominated by Lattimore when he did). Williams looks short and out of place but had good energy.

RG: Boone Myers, Jacob Newborg, Cole Banwart
Boone was getting coached up quite a bit and I think is a Brian Ferentz favorite (pushes him hard). Newborg with the 2's is good for him as he seems to be emerging. Banwart has good interior size but is sure fire RS.

RT: Ike Boettger, Dalton Ferguson/Ryan Ward, Levi Paulsen
-Nothing of note other than Anthony Nelson got the better of Ike pretty good one time. Ferguson seems like #7 right now for the backups.

K: Oh boy is this race tight. It's 2 by 2. Recinos and Ellis then Shudak and Duncan.
Miguel missed 2 in a row in one of the first sessions. 1 short and ugly and the other just missed. Ellis was perfect aside from the end of the day I believe he got 1 tipped. Recinos seems to have the pop and gets good height on his kicks, seems to have the bigger upside. Ellis reminds me a little bit of Kyle Schlicher...would be a fine 2 year starter. Problem is both are new this year, and it seems that they both may be a bit inconsistent. This scares me to death from a confidence standpoint with not only the kickers but the coaches....kick or go for it? This could cost us a game....Good news is that both are more than serviceable. Have to think that if Recinos wins the job that is probably the end for Ellis....he can play most places. Duncan and Shudak were similar and both use the RS year but they have the capability to make anything inside 40 with confidence.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News