ADVERTISEMENT

Pre seeds are out

I think Gilman will have a great opportunity to use his " stink eye" on NATO and Nico. I just think it might work. Clark will be stepping onto the mat with the man child Z Rich. Some have said his reputation exceeds him, but you can't argue with the fact that no mere mortal can train as hard as him.
Speaking of training, Let's hope Imart got a few training tips from Z Rich. If he starts blowin' oil again in the second, Nerf is going have his way with him just like last time. I am afraid for Imart.

Reactions: Ihawkd9times
Clark and Burak would be clear favorites. If healthy Brooks also. Cooper and Ryan probably favors Ryan.

I didn't say our guys wouldn't be favorites in those potential matches, just that they are tough 1/4 final draws based on history and/or style.

Iowa is not winning this tournament, especially with two hobbled up guys. Clark has the best chance to win it, not holding my breath anywhere else. I think Gilman and Burak are good enough to do it but tough roads in front of them. Just can't see Sorensen beating Zain, have not seen the energy from him this year it would take to get it done.
Concur with everything you said. Our boys can win, but I just don't see anyone outside perhaps Clark winning the B10s. Love Gilman but think his season was too soft and he won't be ready at the B10s...perhaps will be different at the NCAAs, but his schedule was just too soft and his competition is brutal.

Alex Meyer ISN'T undefeated, though. He's undefeated in B1G duals. There's a difference, especially given who he hasn't had to wrestle (Brunson, Nickal and Martin). I'm not sure how you can look at how these seasons played out and expect Meyer to be the top seed here without being intellectually dishonest.
Amen Vak! Not sure what these people are thinking about... :)

Alex Meyer ISN'T undefeated, though. He's undefeated in B1G duals. There's a difference, especially given who he hasn't had to wrestle (Brunson, Nickal and Martin). I'm not sure how you can look at how these seasons played out and expect Meyer to be the top seed here without being intellectually dishonest.
This isn't the ncaa tournament though. This is big ten where only big ten records count. Like in basketball as of yesterday, Michigan state was ranked 6th in the country and they were in 6th place in the big ten. If the season had ended would they have been the 1 seed in the big ten tourney(best ranking big ten team) or the 6 seed(6th place in the conference)

I don't like how that article starts. "Five teams have number 1 seeded wrestlers." I then realized that one was not Iowa.

I don't like how that article starts. "Five teams have number 1 seeded wrestlers." I then realized that one was not Iowa.

I hadn't realized that we didn't have a 1 seed. Our guys just need to prove everyone wrong. We can complain about Meyer all day, but he can prove us all right if he wins it all.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Meyer has a snowball's chance of beating Nickal. He has had far too many close matches against opponents that were no where near Nickal's level.

On the bright side, Clark can take out Conaway in the semi's.

Also I think Martinez will beat Nolf in the rematch.

Gilman and Megaludis will be huge... tough one to call.

I agree w Rossel. Meyers feet are stuck in concrete during the first and second periods. Limited offensive set that past 2 months. I just don't see how he can hang w Nickal

This isn't the ncaa tournament though. This is big ten where only big ten records count. Like in basketball as of yesterday, Michigan state was ranked 6th in the country and they were in 6th place in the big ten. If the season had ended would they have been the 1 seed in the big ten tourney(best ranking big ten team) or the 6 seed(6th place in the conference)

Just curious, but do you have a link to where only the big ten records count?

I actually think Meyers has about as good a chance as anyone in the country at beating Nickal. He really doesn't force too much action which you don't want to do against Nickal, since he is a great counter wrestler. Both are really good counter wrestlers and good on the mat.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Meyer has a snowball's chance of beating Nickal. He has had far too many close matches against opponents that were no where near Nickal's level.

Unless Martinez has gotten a "gas tank" since they last met that wont happen.

Meyer has not shown me anything to say he will beat Nickal. Unfortunately I think Nickal scores early and then breaks him similar to the Cody Walters match. First Meyer has to stay focused and make it to that match. Need to see that wrestler we saw flashes of last year.

Clark needs to bring it and wrestle smart and listen to the coaches.

I have more confidence in Gilman than anyone. He gets Mega and NATO in the finals.

I don't see Nolf loosing to anyone right now... Go Martinez

I can't get over how much the injuries with the Sammy's sucks.

The way they used to seed is to have the coaches rank the kids from 1-14 (used to be 1-10). The best kid getting 14 points and the worst kid getting 1. They add up the points and the guy with the most points get the number 1 seed and the guy with the second most points gets the number 2 seed. My guess is a lot of the coaches thought Nickal was the best kid and they overlooked his loss. I doubt they followed a criteria totally. Now in the final meeting they may change the seeds a bit by using a criteria, but usually they stick pretty close to the pre seeds.

If you are within a few points behind the guy who is seeded directly ahead of you, and you have beaten him, you can challenge. Otherwise the coaches have spoken and it is a done deal. This is how they used to do it at the NCAA's years ago and I think it is still how they do it at the Bigs.

I don't know about that. Gilman, Clark and Brooks could all win their semifinals matchups and Penn State would still win the team title by a wide margin if everyone wrestles to seed. Now if Cooper knocked off Nolf, that's a different matter ...
Imar teched Coop, Nolf pinned Imar= no way in hell Coop is sniffing an upset. It sucks but I think the real battle in the B10s is for 2nd place. ☹

If you aren't going to look at conference record then why even wrestle? It then comes down to rankings which are people's opinion. I don't think Meyer is better than Nickal, but you have to look at 9-0 vs 8-1 and Meyer beat Jackson. Simple as that.

They do look at the conference schedule. But they don't only look at the conference schedule -- especially for two guys with no head-to-head. No way Meyer should be the #1 seed; and if you think he's the best wrestler in the conference then beating the 3rd best wrestler in the conference shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: letsgohawks44
i'm surprised this hasn't been done yet, but if everything went according to seeds, and wrestlers won by decision where they should and lose where they should, ie minimum number of points earned, we start significantly behind. Now, where we can make up some ground is the 2 seeds winning and PSU's 1 seeds falling short. Our ceiling is a little higher, but there is a reason PSU is #1 right now...

We can improve on 141, 157 and 165 points. PSU can improve at 141, 165 and 285
We can falter at 174,184 (Defaults) 285 (inj def). PSU maybe can falter at 157 and 184

And don't forget about OSU...really is a 3 team race

KsBwtH9.png

I don't disagree, but ironically, this is the kind of match where Meyer tends to overachieve. While I don't expect him to beat Nickal, I could see him keeping it closer than most would expect.

Concur with everything you said. Our boys can win, but I just don't see anyone outside perhaps Clark winning the B10s. Love Gilman but think his season was too soft and he won't be ready at the B10s...perhaps will be different at the NCAAs, but his schedule was just too soft and his competition is brutal.

Gilman has 4 practice partners who are just as good or better than nato and mega.

Gilman wont have to beat both NATO and Nico. Upsets are gonna happen. I see '25 as upset city. I think NATO goes down. I just dont see him being able to maintain that intensity match after match. Hes such a freak in a one off hes the man but I watched him get gassed a couple times this year because he went berzerk early. Gilman has that crazy look in his eyes. I also like the karma Gilman exudes. I think he will win it.
Unfortunately I dont have the same gut feeling for Clark. Dont see it happening with the tender knee and his up and down intensity. I hope i'm wrong.

I'm seeing Gilman and Clark taking titles. Clark needs to listen to TnT, and he'll be fine. I'm hoping Zane doesn't get upset, because I want him the finals at 33. Gilman will get to NATO, he's already done it. NATO is not going to stall out this time. I don't care that Gilman hasn't wrestled tough competition. He's destroyed anyone put in his way, that's what we ask. The lights are coming on in a few days, boys, Let's Do This!!!!!!

If people want to say someone got screwed, even though he's hurt, it's Stoll. Snyder is the man, no doubt, but his body of work doesn't touch Sam's. Look at the seeds and you see that Sam has beaten EVERYONE that is seeded below him. Snyder has only beaten Jensen and wrestled a total of 3 times. I know he's a world champ, but it shouldn't affect the seeds, and it apparently has. And it's even at a different weight from last year where he took 2nd, so you can't factor that in either. My .02

I'm seeing Gilman and Clark taking titles. Clark needs to listen to TnT, and he'll be fine. I'm hoping Zane doesn't get upset, because I want him the finals at 33. Gilman will get to NATO, he's already done it. NATO is not going to stall out this time. I don't care that Gilman hasn't wrestled tough competition. He's destroyed anyone put in his way, that's what we ask. The lights are coming on in a few days, boys, Let's Do This!!!!!!
Gilman maybe don't think Clark will make the finals,no offense.

I think Clark looked real good on his feet last time out, just couldn't turn the kid. He is right where he needs to be. He had nothing offensive on his feet last time vs Richards in his 1st match back after the knee sprain.

Gilman is night and day better than last year. On his pace, on his attacks. He is hitting both legs for TD's at a high clip. Last year IMO he only had one leg go to for a TD. He closed the gap between his opponent and no longer gets caught reaching. I am very proud of his improvement, he went from really good to an absolute elite beast this year. Now he gets to show that off this weekend and in NYC. He will get it done this weekend and in NYC.

Last edited:
I like Gilman to beat Tomato if Gllman doesn't get frustrated by stalling and/or funk. Tomato and Water from Mizzou last year were able to get in Gilman's head a little last year. Hoping for more composure this year. The rest of Gman's game has definitely improved

Reactions: andegre
It's gonna be fun. I agree Gilman hasn't faced any top tier guys this year. Hopefully he can beat some of the top guys this week end. Beating fish isn't the same as beating top 3 guys. This is why he isn't number one seed.

Meyer has not shown me anything to say he will beat Nickal. Unfortunately I think Nickal scores early and then breaks him similar to the Cody Walters match. First Meyer has to stay focused and make it to that match. Need to see that wrestler we saw flashes of last year.

I have more confidence in Gilman than anyone. He gets Mega and NATO in the finals.

I think IMAR will take him. The first match was close - 5-3 till the final takedown that led to the pin, and I think IMAR was cocky. Don't see him being cocky in the B10s, and I think he's had time to view film on Nolf. Again, I see the B10s and NCAA to be much different. IMAR is my pick; I'm not a fan of him, but I think he's got the goods.

I think IMAR will take him. The first match was close - 5-3 till the final takedown that led to the pin, and I think IMAR was cocky. Don't see him being cocky in the B10s, and I think he's had time to view film on Nolf. Again, I see the B10s and NCAA to be much different. IMAR is my pick; I'm not a fan of him, but I think he's got the goods.

If you remember, IMAR's gas tank was suspect in early matches last year when he was in a tough match. I remember seeing it in the finals at Midlands...I think it was against Pack. It's one of the reasons I thought Nolf would get him at least once this year. IMAR, though, didn't have a lot of problems with his tank at B1G or the NCAAs.

I know I have limited credibility here since I haven't posted much, but it's because I forgot my password and just been reading your guys' posts for the past couple of years...so I kind of feel like I'm part of this posse! Soon you'll probably hit the ignore for me. :eek:

I've been to 11 NCAAs over the years, but this weekend will be my first Big Ten tourney and I'm STOKED! Also, a bit more about me (it's all about me, right?) --- I'm an eternal optimist, so here are my comments about the Hawks' chances of winning this weekend.

I look at each weight and think, is it REASONABLE to think that the Iowa wrestler can out-perform the PSU wrestler?

125 - Gilman > Megaludis (reasonable)
133 - Clark > Conaway (reasonable)
141 - Grothus = Gulibon (kind of a toss-up, with both underperforming)
149 - Sorensen = Retherford (to me, a toss-up)
157 - Cooper < Nolf (Cooper will earn valuable team pts.)
165 - Rhoads = Morelli (Morelli is a relative unknown for most of us)
174 - Meyer < Nickal (I'll be very happy if Meyer reaches finals!)
184 - Brooks > McCutcheon (reasonable)
197 - Burak = McIntosh (I consider this a toss-up, considering the improvement of Burak)
285 - Stoll = Nevills (Normally Stoll would be better, but his injury evens it out)

A dual would have been awesome! I'm only seeing 157 and 174 where PSU is clearly better --- again, I'm an optimist, though try to temper it with realism. Quite simply, though PSU has some studs, Iowa does too, and I think we'll score very well. As is often said, it may come down to bonus points.

Finally, I'll be solo at the tourney, so if anyone wants to meet up for lunch or dinner on Saturday, let me know (I'm sure I'm not as scary as some on here....Chief, WWDM, Kwood, etc. ;) jk! )

Finally, I'll be solo at the tourney, so if anyone wants to meet up for lunch or dinner on Saturday, let me know (I'm sure I'm not as scary as some on here....Chief, WWDM, Kwood, etc. ;) jk! )
What?! Chief is a multi-millionaire actor with a plethera of great films, WWDM seems very genuine and a great guy(can't believe that people made him add a W but that's an argument for a different day), and Kwood is the emoji king so you know he's fun.
The people you probably don't wanna meet are James P Whitters III, Chuckles, jammenz, and flying tiger.

I can't think of any match in Meyers career where he got pounded like he did by Walters. It was 100% due to not being able to get away. He's normally great on bottom. Meyers is great in all three positions but he just has to get after it. I feel like an idiot saying it but he is the best guy in the country when he is losing. He's just gotten so accustomed to winning 2-0 that it has become his strategy. I hope he's down 4-1 to Brunson after the first and then gets after it. Brunson is another hammer on top so we'll see if he can get away.

I'm confident he can beat Bo and his stupid haircut. Bo gives up tons of points and let's people stay in matches. We all know what Meyer can do late in matches if he's down and "on."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT