ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction

N.Legend

HB MVP
Aug 28, 2012
Jake Rudock of Michigan named 7th best QB in the BIG by Athlon of will get more virtual ink on this site than CJB.

I was a CJ guy for most of last season, but I'm starting to think that this experiment might turn out to be a trainwreck.

Morehouse had him at about 50% for the spring "game", with about 5 yards per attempt. That's Rudock territory with a much lower completion %. He's also only looked "good" for one half of football so far in his career (Pitt). He was pretty brutal in his only start at Purdue.

Combine that with what appears to be a HORRIFIC OL and very little talent at either RB or WR, and this is shaping up to be a terrible offense, even by KF/Davis standards.

I am torn on this one, if it goes as the OP thinks it may, does KF throw the 'this is the direction many of you asked for' or does he stick with his protect the player and go with the 'execution' angle.

I was a CJ guy for most of last season, but I'm starting to think that this experiment might turn out to be a trainwreck.

Morehouse had him at about 50% for the spring "game", with about 5 yards per attempt. That's Rudock territory with a much lower completion %. He's also only looked "good" for one half of football so far in his career (Pitt). He was pretty brutal in his only start at Purdue.

Combine that with what appears to be a HORRIFIC OL and very little talent at either RB or WR, and this is shaping up to be a terrible offense, even by KF/Davis standards.

Actually Rudock was over 7 yards per attempt with the 62% completion percentage. His YPA was slightly higher than Beathard's for the year. I'm still hopeful CJ steps it up this year along with a better running game.

I am torn on this one, if it goes as the OP thinks it may, does KF throw the 'this is the direction many of you asked for' or does he stick with his protect the player and go with the 'execution' angle.

I would lose what little respect I still have for Kirk's coaching ability if he ever acknowledges playing someone because it is what fans want and not because he believes they give the team the best chance to win. I already know his judgment is questionable at best due to past examples (Grigsby, Christensen) and that he is stubborn, but I don't need to know he is that desperate.

I don't think he will but it is that kind of a sly little jab that he takes at times the "people smarter than I am" comments when he has been proven correct on things.

I think some may have set themselves up for disappointment in putting CJB on such a high pedestal, including myself. However, I'm not going to put much stock on the spring game. He didn't look very sharp, but that single event didn't change my opinion that CJB clearly has a higher upside than Rudock. This team will need a playmaker at QB because the only proven talent on the offense is probably Tevaun Smith and the OL will be very green.

If this was '08, '09, or '10, I would take Rudock in a heartbeat because we needed nothing more than a solid QB that didn't make mistakes. This year I'll take CJB. I'm not sure having both QBs on the roster would be healthy for this team. I'll probably change my mind on that if CJB goes down, though.

Last edited:
Whether the o-line will give him a chance to prove it this year is one thing, but there is no doubt whatsoever that Beathard was and is the best QB at Iowa. Hell, who couldn't complete 62% of his passes if he almost never threw more than 10 yards deep, checked to the backs, and tossed those awesome sideline patterns? Good riddance to JR. Kirk was at least a year late in making the change.

I assure you that the 2015 offense would be dead in the water with JR. Beathard can go over the top for six at any time. JR never could. The Hawkeyes may not have much to work with, but you have short and faulty memories if you think Iowa would be better off with another year of JR.

It is a very rare day when a 3rd year starter in the Big 10...one at Mich no less, is rated just the 7th best QB in the conference. It is even rarer when fans express envy over losing out on such a mediocre QB. We will be just fine without this very very avg QB and instead have a guy who can take over games with his arm.

Jake Rudock of Michigan named 7th best QB in the BIG by Athlon of will get more virtual ink on this site than CJB.

It was a spring game for crying out loud. His top TE didn't play and he was dealing with a limited offense per Ferentz. O-Line was like a sieve most of the day so what do you want from the guy? Chill....Jake had a veteran at almost every position last year except fullback when Plewa got injured and still seldom threw down field. CJ is breaking in a young O-Line , is without Duzey, has limited Wr's at this point , etc.. Let's give him a chance.....

Last edited:
Actually Rudock was over 7 yards per attempt with the 62% completion percentage. His YPA was slightly higher than Beathard's for the year. I'm still hopeful CJ steps it up this year along with a better running game.
This is what the CJ fans missed. They were so enamored with the idea of Beathard being better than Rudock, that they didn't realize CJ checked down just as much as Rudock did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT