ADVERTISEMENT

Preparing myself to be pissed off.

By the way, can you provide some video links to all the guys in college basketball this year that have done a between-the-legs dunk?
I can't seem to find any. Thanks in advance!

Is that one of the prerequisites for NPOY? Who knew. And who knows, maybe Luka could have pulled that off when he was playing mighty Fordham or St. Joes

Reactions: Underscore2
Is that one of the prerequisites for NPOY? Who knew. And who knows, maybe Luka could have pulled that off when he was playing mighty Fordham or St. Joes

No, I just I thought since you said it is such an ordinary thing that happens every day, there will be all kinds of footage of college players doing it in games. noticed you didn't comment on Obi's "broke jumper" when I pointed out that Garza shoots worse than him from 3....

I bet most on here haven't seen Obi play a single game, because he plays for "shity little Dayton who plays in a shity conference, but in typical power 6 conference arrogance most of you feel he doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Garza, which is effing stupid. I have the foresight of seeing Garza play probably at least six or seven times. He is an awesome player and I would be fine with him winning the award over Toppin. I think both are great players that have both similar and different skill sets. Either one would be deserving of player of the year.

I just find it amazing when people comment about a guy based on just seeing the highlights on SportsCenter of him dunking(which is of course what they're going to show on SC) and assume that's all he can do. He is a damn good college player.

Last edited:
Toppin shooting 39% from 3, Garza is shooting 35%. I guess Obi's broke jumper is doing okay.

By the way, can you provide some video links to all the guys in college basketball this year that have done a between-the-legs dunk?

So the player of the year award comes down to a dunk contest? I was under the impression it was a little broader.

Toppin shooting 39% from 3, Garza is shooting 35%. I guess Obi's broke jumper is doing okay.

So do you get extra point for that showboat shit? Is that what wins the award, who can win the dunk contest? Considering that NO ONE has done what Garza is doing this season in almost three decades of NCAA basketball, AND he's doing it in what is unquestioned the deepest conference in basketball this year should make him the winner. Are you honestly going to make the statement that what Toppin has done in the A10 playing ONE top 25 team, matches what Garza has done averaging 27 points and 11 boards in 11 games vs top 25 teams, and Iowa having won more games against the top 25 then any other team? Thanks for your response in advance.......

Reactions: jasonrann
Lol reading comprehension is strong on here.
We can comprehend just fine. I comprehend that Garza has put up much better numbers against MUCH better competition, and its not even close. The Dayton dunker is a lot of talking heads pick because they were on him early this year, and they like to stick with the guy they've been promoting. They think it makes them look like they know what the hell their talking about, which of course they don't......

You guys, he's commenting tongue in cheek about the dunking...the OP brought it up saying how ESPN is pumping him up and saying that he's just a good dunker. This guy isn't actually saying dunking is a pre-requisite...

I don't get why everyone needs to put down Toppin and Dayton. They are both great. Would they be as good in the Big Ten? Dayton probably wouldn't but they would not be a bottom feeder like some suggest, I'd guess safely top half and probably around where Iowa is.

And Toppin is a great player. Anyone who thinks he's just a product of playing in the "small time" A10 is just trying to convince themselves Garza is that much better. I want Garza to win as many awards as possible, but to pretend like Toppin isn't deserving at all is really just homerism.

Well hopefully Iowa and UD will meet and you'll get a chance to see Toppin is more than a dunker. I know one thing, he could have averaged 30 points a game this year if he was a more selfish player. Very seldom forces a bad shot and is always looking for his teammates. that's why their offense has been so efficient this year they pass up good shots for even better shots as a team.

Dunking between the legs is actually super easy and I am kind of embarrassed for you. The majority of D1 players (including bench players) could do it. Here is a video of 6' Marcus Paige doing it during warmups. Most players choose not to do anything like that in games (unless you are trying to win NPOTY)...it's not the fact that they can't do it..

Still waiting to see someone doing it in a game. Guess what? When players are warming up they are all burying threes at like 55-65% or more, but there's a reason only a select few are averaging above that during the season. By the way, how is he managing to shoot 39% to Garza's 35% on the season from 3 with his "broke jumper?" I haven't got an answer on that one yet
Kinda like you haven't answered about Garza averaging 27 and 11 against REAL competition. And by the way, I had two sons play college ball, and if either one of them did a between the legs dunk during a game, I would personally have gone down and drug their ass off the floor...

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
Kinda like you haven't answered about Garza averaging 27 and 11 against REAL competition. And by the way, I had two sons play college ball, and if either one of them did a between the legs dunk during a game, I would personally have gone down and drug their ass off the floor...
I kind of did. I said I believe if Toppin was more selfish he could've averaged 30 ppg. He is a team first kind of player. Guess you didn't see that post. Might explain why he has nearly twice as many assists as Garza on the year.

And by the way, I had two sons play college ball, and if either one of them did a between the legs dunk during a game, I would personally have gone down and drug their ass off the floor...

Can you explain to me why you would have personally dragged your son's ass off the floor for doing that in a game?

Does he get extra points for that?

Last edited:
Reactions: H4wkfan4life
Well hopefully Iowa and UD will meet and you'll get a chance to see Toppin is more than a dunker. I know one thing, he could have averaged 30 points a game this year if he was a more selfish player. Very seldom forces a bad shot and is always looking for his teammates. that's why their offense has been so efficient this year they pass up good shots for even better shots as a team.
does he get doubled, tripled and mugged all game?

Reactions: And1Hawk
doesn't sound like it would be worth the time.

you clearly wouldn't understand ;)

It was the last game of his career at UD Arena in a game where they were up by 16 points. He did it for the fans, for the city. He definitely has a little bit of swagger on the court, but if you ever hear him interviewed or watch him off the court, he is like the most polite, likeable, humble guy you'll ever meet.

I bet you are a real hoot at parties. We call people like you "fun suckers." :)

Last edited:
It was the last game of his career at UD Arena in a game where they were up by 16 points. He did it for the fans, for the city. He definitely has a little bit of swagger on the court, but if you ever hear him interviewed or watch him off the court, he is like the most polite, likeable, humble guy you'll ever meet.

I bet you are a real hoot at parties. We call people like you "fun suckers."
that has what to do with the previous poster and his kids?

:confused:

I kind of did. I said I believe if Toppin was more selfish he could've averaged 30 ppg. He is a team first kind of player. Guess you didn't see that post. Might explain why he has nearly twice as many assists as Garza on the year.
I have to admit I love you sticking to your guns anyway. So you think the guy should win the award for best player based on what you THINK he might have dome IF he was more selfish, and IF he actually played against a dozen actual ranked teams, in contrast to what Garza has ACTUALLY done? Sounds about right......:rolleyes:

Reactions: 24 so far
Can you explain to me why you would have personally dragged your son's ass off the floor for doing that in a game?
Because its a selfish showboat act, and thats not the way they were raised. Look he can do what he wants, and I can think what I want, and that kind of crap is over the top. You asked and theres your answer...

Because its a selfish showboat act, and thats not the way they were raised. Look he can do what he wants, and I can think what I want, and that kind of crap is over the top. You asked and theres your answer...

I've noticed in games sometimes Garza will flex after a dunk or a big shot. How do you stand that? Surely that "showboating" makes you sick to your stomach...

A windmill dunk and a between the legs dunk against George Washington seems to somehow made him the clear front runner...

Those moves would have been impressive 10-15 years ago, but you have your avg. HS recruit doing that nowadays.. it's utterly a joke Obi is above Garza, kid has a broke jumper.. I cannot wait for Dayton to get exposed before the Sweet 16.

I would love to see somebody out of the Big Ten knock them out in the second round. I don’t think the Big Ten will have chance first round.

I have to admit I love you sticking to your guns anyway. So you think the guy should win the award for best player based on what you THINK he might have dome IF he was more selfish, and IF he actually played against a dozen actual ranked teams, in contrast to what Garza has ACTUALLY done? Sounds about right......:rolleyes:
Nope. Basing it on the fact that he's a multi-dimensional player who makes it much easier for his teammates because he draws so much attention on the floor. And he is unguardable one on one. And he can shoot the three. And he is excellent passing the ball out of the double team in finding guys cutting to the basket for wide open layups or threes. He is a huge part of the reason they're leading the nation in field goal percentage.

Again it's fascinating to me that so many on here share the sentiment Toppin doesn't belong in the conversation with Garza for POY, yet most of you haven't seen him play at all. I have seen both play multiple games(all of UD's and many of Iowa's) and I think both are deserving.

Just lay the ball in. This isn’t a circus.
Momentum boost after a layup and a momentum boost after a between the legs dunk aren’t even close to the same. At the same time, you 100% better make the dunk

Nope. Basing it on the fact that he's a multi-dimensional player who makes it much easier for his teammates because he draws so much attention on the floor. And he is unguardable one on one. And he can shoot the three. And he is excellent passing the ball out of the double team in finding guys cutting to the basket for wide open layups or threes. He is a huge part of the reason they're leading the nation in field goal percentage.

Again it's fascinating to me that so many on here share the sentiment Toppin doesn't belong in the conversation with Garza for POY, yet most of you haven't seen him play at all. I have seen both play multiple games(all of UD's and many of Iowa's) and I think both are deserving.
I'm sure Toppin is a great player and hopefully a good guy. That said, I'm a fan of a Big Ten team, with a Conference Network, who isn't going to watch or wonder how things are going on a typical night in the A10.

Honestly, with the records Garza has put up, and accounting for The Big Ten having the most ranked teams in the country throughout the year, I honestly think he's EARNED National POY and frankly I don't think it SHOULD be close.

lol at anyone saying that between the legs dunks or anything of the same is showboating, there's no place for it, etc. I sometimes forget that many of our fans are 80 years old at heart...

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I've noticed in games sometimes Garza will flex after a dunk or a big shot. How do you stand that? Surely that "showboating" makes you sick to your stomach...
In all honesty I'd like to see way less of that kind of stuff from all the players, and that includes Iowa. Unfortunately its become part of the culture in D1 basketball, and football......

First off, I never said the kid wasn't deserving. I said that your speculating what he COULD do playing against a schedule full of ranked teams, while Garza has ACTUALLY already played said schedule AND performed at a level not seen in a major conference in three decades. The award isn't supposed to be about speculating, its about what the players have done, and what Garza has done this season hasn't been matched by ANYONE in NCAA basketball this season or for decades. PERIOD.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT