ADVERTISEMENT

Press Release: Iowa Athletics to Expand Beer and Wine Sales as part of Pilot Program

Apr 8, 2003
IOWA ATHLETICS TO EXPAND BEER AND WINE SALES AS PART OF PILOT PROGRAM

IOWA CITY, Iowa
– The University of Iowa Athletics Department announced Thursday the creation of a pilot program to expand beer and wine sales at athletic facilities. Beginning this fall, beer and wine will be available for purchase throughout Kinnick Stadium, with the exception of areas immediately adjacent to the respective student section. Athletic events at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Duane Banks Field and Bob Pearl Field will also be included in the pilot program during the 2021-22 school year.

“We have been working with our campus partners on this for some time now and we are committed to maintaining a safe and enjoyable game day environment. While there is an opportunity for increased revenue, this decision was based on enhancing the fan experience and providing an additional amenity to our fans,” said Gary Barta, Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair. “At the conclusion of the 2021-22 academic year, we will work with our campus partners to review this pilot program.”

Thirty percent of net alcohol sales will be directed towards research-based initiatives developed and supported by the UI Alcohol Harm Reduction Committee, formed in 2009 to decrease high-risk drinking and the related harmful consequences.

The athletics department will also modify its parking lot hours as part of the pilot program. In the past, UI controlled parking lots opened for tailgating at 6 a.m. on game day, regardless of kickoff time. Beginning this fall, parking lots will open no more than six hours prior to kickoff and no earlier than 6 a.m. Parking on the night prior to football games will be limited to RVs only. There are no changes in postgame policies.

“We recognize that the pregame atmosphere around Kinnick Stadium is a significant part of the fan experience,” said UI Interim President John Keller. “We are adopting policies that encourage Hawkeyes to enjoy game day traditions while reducing underage access to alcohol and the negative impacts of binge drinking.”

Data from the 2019 season indicates 92% of vehicles utilizing university controlled lots on game day enter within six hours prior to kickoff.

Iowa joins seven other Big Ten schools who currently sell beer and/or wine in public areas at its home football games. Approximately half of the schools from the Power 5 conferences will sell beer and/or wine at their home football games this fall.

Fans continue to be encouraged to alert Iowa Athletics about inappropriate or unruly behavior by either calling or texting the UI Athletics Game Day Hotline (319-384-3000) and reporting your stadium location. Upon receipt of your message, an Event Services team member and/or law enforcement personnel will assist when necessary.

FeminineEveryGraysquirrel-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: michael.nelson311
Boom! Knew it was coming sooner rather than later despite what Barta had previously stated.
Can't wait for games!

Although limiting the areas it is sold is going to create long lines.

I am ok with alcohol sales in the stadium as long as folks are responsible and it doesn't take away from the peaceful experience that folks who don't drink like to have. I just don't want to take my grand-children and wife to a game and sit in front of some drunk guy screaming obscenities, puking or starting fights..... I hope it goes well. It would be nice to see a common ground here for drinkers and non-drinkers..

I am ok with alcohol sales in the stadium as long as folks are responsible and it doesn't take away from the peaceful experience that folks who don't drink like to have. I just don't want to take my grand-children and wife to a game and sit in front of some drunk guy screaming obscenities, puking or starting fights..... I hope it goes well. It would be nice to see a common ground here for drinkers and non-drinkers..
The additional revenue will be welcome but the powers that be have to have a plan when a few idiots in the crowd get drunk and start acting unruly. I think the majority of our fans won't be a problem.

• Haha
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
I don't drink alcohol. Never have. Never saw the upside. But I know I'm in a tiny minority. I admitted to this fact to provide context for my observation that Prohibition was a monumental failure. So is the so-called "war on drugs" that the US has futilely waged for over half a century. Selling alcohol at Kinnick is merely recognizing reality: Almost everyone drinks, and nobody can stop them.

In my days as a grad student in Iowa City I was among those who cleaned Kinnick on Sunday mornings after football games. Some of you might be surprised at the volume and variety of empty bottles of alcohol we collected. It's always been an open joke. Anyone who wanted to bring alcohol into Kinnick could do it, and they did.

So, finally, GB wants to just be nice and sell people what they've been sneaking into Kinnick for over half a century. And if Iowa makes a little money at it, well, gosh darn, that's OK as long as we can make Hawkeye fans a little more comfortable. LOL

BTW: Most of you realize that pro sports venues have sold alcohol forever, and having attended games in those venues as well as Kinnick and other major college stadiums, I've never noticed any significant difference in crowd behavior. And I don't think it'll change Kinnick either. IMHO.

People might grab a few when they walk in, halftime, etc.......We all know how big a pain in the ass it is to get from your seat to the concourse at kinnick if you aren’t on the aisle. I highly doubt they’ll have beer vendors walking the steps, but you never know, they could, they do with water and soft drinks.

BTW: Most of you realize that pro sports venues have sold alcohol forever, and having attended games in those venues as well as Kinnick and other major college stadiums, I've never noticed any significant difference in crowd behavior. And I don't think it'll change Kinnick either. IMHO.

It's not even that unique of a thing anymore so not sure why they are wasting their time with a pilot and not just doing it. Well over 50 college teams do this already including 7 B1G teams, Ohio State has been doing this for 5 years. Ticket sales were falling off a cliff pre-COVID, any school not doing this is really stupid as you need new ways to induce people to pay a lot of money for tickets that offer an inferior view of the game compared with enormous HDTV's at home.

Allowing alcohol sales is actually great litmus test for whether the administration running your athletic programs is actually competent or not....

Last edited:
I don't necessarily like having the alcohol sales but knew it was coming so I'm willing to give it a chance and see how it goes.

I think the much bigger issue is the lot openings. I think this will cause major traffic problems. Traffic will be backed up to the interstate in the initial rush. People that want to tailgate 3-4 hours before the game are going to be very disappointed . Traffic is always a problem. Now with a shorter time frame to enter and no train, I just think it will be a mess.

I think having a "Family" or "sober" section would be a decent idea. Families and those who don't want to deal with people drinking can buy tickets in section XXX. Just a thought.

I used to bring in a flask to a few games a year, the number has dropped significantly as I've gotten older.

Reactions: Carlton
There’s gotta be a give and take here and opening the lots 6 hours before the game is too long. It’s 4 hours at Bears games and absolutely no tailgating during the game. That seems reasonable

It's only reasonable if you're the fun police and you're also completely delusional to the attendance trends in every sport in the United States including college football. Who in the hell cares if lots are open for 6 hours? JFC.

It’s kinda tough for some people to get their wife and kids to want to go to a game, this won’t help. We all know what happens when Iowa Football and fans drinking mix, which until now was limited to bowl games and formerly the metrodome. I don’t see an attendance problem in any of the major sports besides college football

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
It’s kinda tough for some people to get their wife and kids to want to go to a game, this won’t help. We all know what happens when Iowa Football and fans drinking mix, which until now was limited to bowl games and formerly the metrodome. I don’t see an attendance problem in any of the major sports besides college football
The national trend was already moving away from attending games what with full TV coverage, students not attending, etc. It is probably the reason that they built the suites in the north endzone, more money yet fewer seats. Add in a year of fans sitting on their butts at home watching the games drinking a beverage and you can see why the university is making the effort to get them back at Kinnick.

I don't necessarily like having the alcohol sales but knew it was coming so I'm willing to give it a chance and see how it goes.

I think the much bigger issue is the lot openings. I think this will cause major traffic problems. Traffic will be backed up to the interstate in the initial rush. People that want to tailgate 3-4 hours before the game are going to be very disappointed . Traffic is always a problem. Now with a shorter time frame to enter and no train, I just think it will be a mess.
Yep, the alcohol headline buried the lead on tailgate lot opens. I know plenty of people, myself usually included, in lots before 8:30 am for a 2:30 pm game. Even worse if the game starts at 7 pm, you're never going to get people to wait until 1pm. Combine all that with no Hawkeye Express train and it make a mess and push people to private lots.

Yep, the alcohol headline buried the lead on tailgate lot opens. I know plenty of people, myself usually included, in lots before 8:30 am for a 2:30 pm game. Even worse if the game starts at 7 pm, you're never going to get people to wait until 1pm. Combine all that with no Hawkeye Express train and it make a mess and push people to private lots.

I don't see only allowing 6 hours of tailgating to cause much of an issue. Noon or 1:00 for a night game, 8:30 for an afternoon game shouldn't be a problem...for me anyway. For a night game hit a bar DT if your want to start at 11:00; not a bad way to kick things off.

Reactions: Hammer93
Is tailgating a problem? I didn’t think it was in 2010 when Sally Bitch tried to crack down with military golf carts and aggressive police action. I’d also say with beer available inside, there’s less of a desire to CHUG 1-2 beers outside the entry gates.

Is tailgating a problem? I didn’t think it was in 2010 when Sally Bitch tried to crack down with military golf carts and aggressive police action. I’d also say with beer available inside, there’s less of a desire to CHUG 1-2 beers outside the entry gates.

Lol. I forgot about the swat teams driving around the lots Saturday mornings

Reactions: Pepperman
Makes it better for those damn 11 am games maybe now half the crowd won’t have to rush the gates in the final 15 minutes.

I think they need vendors walking up and down the aisle selling beer to free up some of the congestion of people waiting in line.

$15 beers will cut the consumption. My worry is the even longer lines at the urinals. I think I will stick with my half pint of contraband whiskey.
So the beer will make people have to pee more then you and your whiskey will? And if the price of beer will cut consumption, then why would that lead to longer lines??????

So the beer will make people have to pee more then you and your whiskey will? And if the price of beer will cut consumption, then why would that lead to longer lines??????
Yes beer makes you pee more than whiskey. The price will address the concerns of some of the posters that believe Kinnick will turn into a bacchanal. Try to keep up Sparky and lighten up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT